IGNORED

Sheff Utd 5 Burnley 2

westonred

18 minutes ago, westonred said:

Funny old game innit Saint ?

A very ordinary looking Sheff team totally outplayed by us on Tuesday spanked the league leaders and the meanest defence in the league 5 - 2 today

Makes it all the more frustrating that we didn't take advantage of catching them on an off-day I'm afraid. 

• Like 9

Makes it more frustrating that we could have gained three huge points against a strong team if they weren't helped by the referee. I bet that in similar conditions (Blades playing not at their best) other teams won't have to face that "handicap" and they'll get precious points.

Edited by Dan Robin

3 hours ago, westonred said:

Funny old game innit Saint ?

A very ordinary looking Sheff team totally outplayed by us on Tuesday spanked the league leaders and the meanest defence in the league 5 - 2 today

I know traditionally the championship is a tight league and anyone can beat anyone but i cannot remember a season this tight for years.

It reminds me a bit of 2007/08 and the year we got to the play off final at this level. Clubs like ourselves Stoke and Hull surprising people at the top and the relegation battle was very tight if i remember. Leicester going down on 52 points on the last day.

I was at Bramall Lane as a neutral and it was great. 

I was impressed with both teams (for the most part) and to their credit they both set up to win the game rather than nervously settle for a point each.

Burnley did a good job of making the pitch big in the first half. Benson Manuel was impressive, unsurprisingly for those who have kept up with Burnley's results this year. However, they were quite a small side compared to Sheff Utd and it showed. It felt like Sheffield United won a lot of 50/50 duels just where they were bigger and stronger.  If anyone's seen the highlights, it's very noticeable for the goals - Burnley just couldn't cope with McBurnie (who was outstanding) in particular from set pieces**. Burnley's keeper, Muric, was massive but didn't seem comfortable from set pieces (perhaps due to a lack of help) but was also really keen to play long flat passes out to Cork in the middle third where possible which was quite interesting. I expect Burnley to get caught out doing it a couple times this season. Felt like Burnley missed Brownhill and Rodriguez. Ndiaye also showed glimpses of brilliance for Sheff Utd, as per. 

Not exactly a hot take but I'm sure both teams will be right up there this year. 

** more proof that an aerially dominant centre half for a manager doesn't necessarily result in aerially dominant team!!!

• Like 1