IGNORED

Our Academy

Davefevs

The academy is the most successful part of our club and if that wasn’t performing then I dread to think where we would be as a club. Tinnion & team should be incredibly proud of what they have achieved & with more to come the future is positive.  

Not only are the youngsters the ones to drive the team forwards  but have become our biggest assets.

• Like 9
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

The academy is the most successful part of our club and if that wasn’t performing then I dread to think where we would be as a club. Tinnion & team should be incredibly proud of what they have achieved & with more to come the future is positive.  

Not only are the youngsters the ones to drive the team forwards  but have become our biggest assets.

That is a very good point.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Worth pointing out that Owura Edwards has made 14 appearances (2 goals) in the SPL for Ross County this season & Ryley Towler 9 appearances in League Two for AFC Wimbledon in addition to these.

And so is that.

you two know each other ?

17 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Was it Cotts who left gaps on the bench rather than giving youth players a taste of a first team match day?

Even if they were never going to get on, surely the experience would have been useful.

Pearson has done that twice this season in fairness

12 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I think when he puts players in the squad he does it because he thinks they merit it and will contribute -  he isn’t doing it just for the sake it - and I guess on those occasions there possibly wasn’t anyone available that matched that criteria.  

47 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Was it Cotts who left gaps on the bench rather than giving youth players a taste of a first team match day?

Even if they were never going to get on, surely the experience would have been useful.

Cotts had no interest in the Academy and wanted it treated as a completely separate entity to the senior club. Probably the only real negative aspect of his tenure here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, deadratinmycider said:

Cotts had no interest in the Academy and wanted it treated as a completely separate entity to the senior club. Probably the only real negative aspect of his tenure here.

I suspect that's a major reason why SL didn't see eye to eye with him.   For a club like ours we need a successful academy.  And personally seeing local players come through from the academy is really important to me.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Both the cup games were when we were allowed 9 subs & we had 8.

Towler was on the bench for Coventry & had left us on loan by Wycombe, Kadji was involved in both, Bell was out injured & I think Low was only just coming back from injury.

To be fair to NP Cotterill was regularly only having 5 subs in league games when he could have had 7, that’s a very different situation, especially as we were flying by then & virtually promoted.

We've got some cracking players coming through. I just wish we could keep hold of them all. Develop over the next few years together. Gradually becoming first team regulars. 

With the potential...I'd love to see one day ...???

--------------------------Max---------------------------

---------Z Bell----------Low-----Towler------------

Benerous----Scott----Kadji-------------Pring

------------Bell------Conway---Semenyo-------

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

20 hours ago, Shuffle said:

I think when kids see a team where youth players get a chance they are more likely to sell. Tinnion is creating players with his values. Long may it continue.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think when kids see a team where youth players get a chance they are more likely to sell. Tinnion is creating players with his values. Long may it continue.

I’m sure we’ve missed out on loads in the past because a player thought he wouldn’t get a chance here. 

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

We've got some cracking players coming through. I just wish we could keep hold of them all. Develop over the next few years together. Gradually becoming first team regulars. 

It's one of the things that warms your heart. There's much to be concerned at, at City presently, but our youth set-up has arguably never been better and we have produced (or at least developed on) players good enough to meet the exacting standards of the Championship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's one of the things that warms your heart. There's much to be concerned at, at City presently, but our youth set-up has arguably never been better and we have produced (or at least developed on) players good enough to meet the exacting standards of the Championship. 

I’m not sure the quality of players coming through, with a couple of exceptions, is that much greater than in the past.

We just have a proper plan, and manager, in place now.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

It is as you say. It's a joy to see. 

As my previous post implied...the dream of seeing all the talent grow together as a team, is a pipe dream sadly.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I’m not sure the quality of players coming through, with a couple of exceptions, is that much greater than in the past.

We just have a proper plan, and manager, in place now.

For a long time, we had hardly anyone homegrown that could cut it at this level. But then, we were marrooned in L1 for a lot of that period.  Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid broke that spell. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Possibly swap in Vyner for Zac Bell and we could see that line up this season if Benarous was fit!

5 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Not sure that’s fair - did we have a crop like this available for LJ to pick? 

We never got to find out if they were good enough.

Pity he had the luxury of signing yet another player.

17 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I am in my 39th season watching City and cannot think of one - has there ever been a time when we were playing as many youth products in the first team as now?

Danny Wilson era for sure. Not at this level though.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, deadratinmycider said:

I think it was far more political than that, Cotts was upset at being stopped from buying who he wanted so refused to use players from the chairman's pet project, it's a battle he was always going to lose sadly,

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, David Brent said:

We never got to find out if they were good enough.

Pity he had the luxury of signing yet another player.

Danny Wilson era for sure. Not at this level though.

You have to be good enough to play, Lloyd Kelly got picked as he was good enough,  who’s left the club from that period under LJ where you have thought we really got it wrong?