IGNORED

Lincoln City at home Carabao Cup third-round match thread

Jerseybean

As one of only three Championship teams remaining in the Carabao Cup and having already despatched Coventry 4-1 and Wycombe 3-1 we have a great chance of making the next round. Perhaps save the date of the 2022/23 final which will be held at Wembley Stadium on Sunday, February 26.

The fourth-round draw will take place immediately after Manchester United's third round tie against Aston Villa on Thursday 10 November. The possibility of extra-time means an exact time for the start of the draw is unknown. Sky currently has the rights to live coverage of the Carabao Cup and their Main Event and Football channels will be broadcasting United's tie with Villa on Thursday. Thus, with the draw following up that game, Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Football are where you can watch the fourth-round draw.

After beating Doncaster Rovers 3-0 in the first round, Lincoln needed penalties to get the better of Barrow in round two, the Imps have never managed to progress beyond the third round of the  Carabao Cup and this season marks just the second time in 18 years that the visitors have made it this far.

Last time we played Lincoln was in 1986. Last time they were in Bristol they won 6-3 ? https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62858699

Head to head record, we’ve won 19, lost 9 and drawn 8.

They were non-league for six years between 2010 - 2016. The Imps now compete in league one. They were beaten 1-0 by Chippenham Town on Saturday (thanks to a back-heel) in the first round of the FA Cup,

History:

Lincoln City manager Mark Kennedy, who was appointed in May, wants the Imps to play "progressive and aggressive" football that will "get fans off their seats". Kennedy, 45, left his job as Birmingham City assistant to succeed Michael Appleton at Sincil Bank. The ex-Republic of Ireland winger also previously spent four years working at Manchester City's academy.

"By being attractive, having a brand that people can identify with, that to me will bring success," he said. A big part of my DNA and how I see the game is to be a really aggressive and high-pressing team. There has to be a purpose to playing football and has to be a purpose to possession - we don't want centre-halves that have 300 passes between them.”

"We want to play an attractive brand of football that is possession based, but it has to be aggressive and it has to be progressive. That is something I want to bring to Lincoln.

Kennedy said "there is no doubt" his time working at Manchester City's academy, as well as stints with Ipswich and Wolves' youth teams in the past decade, have shaped his approach to the game. From a coaching perspective my time working in those elite academies has had a huge influence on how I see the game today,"

As a player, he was a left back and left winger from 1992 to 2012. He featured in the Premier League with Liverpool, Wimbledon, Manchester City and Wolverhampton Wanderers, as well as in the Football League for Millwall, Queens Park Rangers, Crystal Palace, Cardiff City and Ipswich Town. He was capped 34 times by Ireland, scoring four goals.

Their goalkeeper Carl Rushworth was not cleared to participate against Chippenham Town due to a head injury, but he will be aiming to return to the squad for this game. Jordan Wright will retain possession of the gloves if Rushworth is not cleared to take part, but Teddy Bishop returned from a hamstring injury to make the first XI at the weekend.

Lewis Montsma, Daniel Mandroiu and Joe Walsh are all expected to remain sidelined for the visitors.

NP will likely rest a couple and give starts to a few, so potentially Lowe and Bell could make the starting line-up.

Our form (all competitions): L, W, L, D, L, D

Lincoln City form (all competitions): W, D, W, L, D, L

Lincoln banter

• The club was given it’s nickname after the legend of the Lincoln Imp, which depicts a creature sent by Satan to the city’s cathedral.
  • The Imps have only ever plied their trade at two stadiums since coming into existence, with the club moving to Sincil Bank from their only previous ground, the John O’Gaunts ground, back in 1895.
  • Back in 1921, the club were founder members of the Football League Third Division North, as it was known back in those days, with the Imps going on to win the league on several occasions following it’s formation.
  • In the 2016/2017 season, Lincoln became the first non-league club to progress to the last eight of the competition since 1914 after beating Premier League Burnley.
  • The club made their first and only ever appearance at Wembley Stadium during the 2017/2018 season, beating Shrewsbury Town 1-0 to lift the EFL Trophy.

Free bus service

All fans will be able to use the AG3 matchday bus for free.

The AG3 services stops at Temple Meads, Broadmead and the city centre before dropping right outside Ashton Gate.

This is ideal for fans to connect with dozens of public bus routes across Bristol and services which stop at Bristol Coach Station. Click here to view the First Bus Bristol route map.

The AG1 Portway Park and Ride and AG2 Brislington Park and Ride will operate with standard fares and provide free parking as usual.

Services will depart between 1715 and 1915 on all routes as follows:

AG1 Portway Park and Ride - every 25 mins

AG2 Brislington Park and Ride - every 30 mins

AG3 Temple Meads via Broadmead and centre - every 15 mins

Route maps, tickets and pricing can be found at https://www.bcfc.co.uk/travel/ but please note the different frequency of services as listed above for this fixture.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/free-bus-travel-for-lincoln-game/

Samuel Allison will be the man with the whistle: https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12454358/the-fireman-dreaming-of-the-top

AFD650EA-042C-425A-A9F7-20498DDD3B5E.jpeg

8EECD682-3E85-4124-AC25-3B1B37B9F263.jpeg

778B1CBF-0DC6-44C2-A930-9598F46E22C2.jpeg

23CC3F0E-B4C7-41C9-81D6-4B7095823198.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Robin 2

Looking at ticket site shows around 10.5k tickets available in hime stands and that is with the top tier of the Lansdown being shut also. 

Tickets remaining 

SS 3.5k

lower Lansdown 2k 

dolman 5k

based on that I reckon that means we’ve shifted 6.5k home tickets add a few from Lincoln might be 7k max plus walk up on day we might break 8/8.5k pretty poor considering the offers on tickets not sure what more club could have done other than be higher up the championship and people wanting to watch. 

Edited by mightyreds89

11 minutes ago, mightyreds89 said:

Looking at ticket site shows around 10.5k tickets available in hime stands and that is with the top tier of the Lansdown being shut also. 

Tickets remaining 

SS 3.5k

lower Lansdown 2k 

dolman 5k

based on that I reckon that means we’ve shifted 6.5k home tickets add a few from Lincoln might be 7k max plus walk up on day we might break 8/8.5k pretty poor considering the offers on tickets not sure what more club could have done other than be higher up the championship and people wanting to watch. 

8-10K would be about par for a game like this I reckon.

Going for a trip down memory lane and bought tickets in the Dolman for this one!

21 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Going for a trip down memory lane and bought tickets in the Dolman for this one!

Think that would constitute a good crowd, seeing we have sold over 20k for Watford, and the traffic around Bristol for an evening match.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mightyreds89 said:

Tickets remaining 

SS 3.5k

lower Lansdown 2k 

dolman 5k

That's the main problem, there is not exactly a feel good factor  about the club at the moment, I think we, well me anyway have had a few too many disappointing visits to the gate lately.

27 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Apologies as I should know this but is it ET and pens or straight to pens if it`s level at 90 minutes?

I'm hoping we can have a vote before h/t, and hopefully agree to call it a day then. But from Wales Online:

First-round ties in the 2022/23 Carabao Cup that finish level will not go to extra time and, instead, will go straight to a penalty shootout.

This is the same from round one through to round five. Only the semi-final and final will have the standard 30-minute extra-time period if required.

Rule 12.4 of the competition’s guidelines states: “In the event of the scores being level at the end of ninety minutes’ play in rounds one, two, three, four and five no extra time shall be played, and the winners shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with procedures as approved by IFAB.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Think that would constitute a good crowd, seeing we have sold over 20k for Watford, and the traffic around Bristol for an evening match.

Yeh I think the club would be happy with 9-10K.

We've not had a home League Cup game with crowds allowed in since Plymouth came and beat us on 14 Aug 2018!

Attendance was 9.8k that night other comparisons are tricky, but bearing in mind we only got 7.3k when Fulham came for the home FA Cup 3rd round last season (iirc there was a bit of disappointment over the ticket price) and 9.7k for the corresponding Shrewsbury game in 2019 I think getting anywhere above 9k for Lincoln on a Tuesday night in November would be pretty decent.

• Like 4

Interesting selection conundrum tonight. 

It's a midweek game in a run of 4 midweek games in 5 weeks but with only one more game to go until an extended break. It's a winnable fixture that could get us into the latter states of the tournament but it's also a chance to use squad players. At the same time, our squad is heavily depleted.

There's a pretty much equal case for putting out the strongest line-up possible or rotating the squad so it'll be interesting to see what team Pearson sends out. 

44 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

It's not been selected by Sky, and Robins TV don't have the rights. Simple as that ??‍♂️

Is the right answer.

Best you’ll get (if you’re not at AG) is goals on Sky Sports News, or via Lincoln’s iFollow sometime tomorrow if they put the full 90 up.  They did in previous rounds.

https://www.weareimps.com/ifollow/video-archive/

Really hope that NP plays Antoine upfront tonight......Semenyo needs to score a goal or two to get his confidence up and running?  A.S. is quality, and just needs a kick start to get his goal scoring and belief back..........COYR's!!

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

As one of only three Championship teams remaining in the Carabao Cup and having already despatched Coventry 4-1 and Wycombe 3-1 we have a great chance of making the next round. Perhaps save the date of the 2022/23 final which will be held at Wembley Stadium on Sunday, February 26.

The fourth-round draw will take place immediately after Manchester United's third round tie against Aston Villa on Thursday 10 November. The possibility of extra-time means an exact time for the start of the draw is unknown. Sky currently has the rights to live coverage of the Carabao Cup and their Main Event and Football channels will be broadcasting United's tie with Villa on Thursday. Thus, with the draw following up that game, Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Football are where you can watch the fourth-round draw.

After beating Doncaster Rovers 3-0 in the first round, Lincoln needed penalties to get the better of Barrow in round two, the Imps have never managed to progress beyond the third round of the  Carabao Cup and this season marks just the second time in 18 years that the visitors have made it this far.

Last time we played Lincoln was in 1986. Last time they were in Bristol they won 6-3 ? https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62858699

Head to head record, we’ve won 19, lost 9 and drawn 8.

They were non-league for six years between 2010 - 2016. The Imps now compete in league one. They were beaten 1-0 by Chippenham Town on Saturday (thanks to a back-heel) in the first round of the FA Cup,

History:

Lincoln City manager Mark Kennedy, who was appointed in May, wants the Imps to play "progressive and aggressive" football that will "get fans off their seats". Kennedy, 45, left his job as Birmingham City assistant to succeed Michael Appleton at Sincil Bank. The ex-Republic of Ireland winger also previously spent four years working at Manchester City's academy.

"By being attractive, having a brand that people can identify with, that to me will bring success," he said. A big part of my DNA and how I see the game is to be a really aggressive and high-pressing team. There has to be a purpose to playing football and has to be a purpose to possession - we don't want centre-halves that have 300 passes between them.”

"We want to play an attractive brand of football that is possession based, but it has to be aggressive and it has to be progressive. That is something I want to bring to Lincoln.

Kennedy said "there is no doubt" his time working at Manchester City's academy, as well as stints with Ipswich and Wolves' youth teams in the past decade, have shaped his approach to the game. From a coaching perspective my time working in those elite academies has had a huge influence on how I see the game today,"

As a player, he was a left back and left winger from 1992 to 2012. He featured in the Premier League with Liverpool, Wimbledon, Manchester City and Wolverhampton Wanderers, as well as in the Football League for Millwall, Queens Park Rangers, Crystal Palace, Cardiff City and Ipswich Town. He was capped 34 times by Ireland, scoring four goals.

Their goalkeeper Carl Rushworth was not cleared to participate against Chippenham Town due to a head injury, but he will be aiming to return to the squad for this game. Jordan Wright will retain possession of the gloves if Rushworth is not cleared to take part, but Teddy Bishop returned from a hamstring injury to make the first XI at the weekend.

Lewis Montsma, Daniel Mandroiu and Joe Walsh are all expected to remain sidelined for the visitors.

NP will likely rest a couple and give starts to a few, so potentially Lowe and Bell could make the starting line-up.

Our form (all competitions): L, W, L, D, L, D

Lincoln City form (all competitions): W, D, W, L, D, L

Lincoln banter

• The club was given it’s nickname after the legend of the Lincoln Imp, which depicts a creature sent by Satan to the city’s cathedral.
  • The Imps have only ever plied their trade at two stadiums since coming into existence, with the club moving to Sincil Bank from their only previous ground, the John O’Gaunts ground, back in 1895.
  • Back in 1921, the club were founder members of the Football League Third Division North, as it was known back in those days, with the Imps going on to win the league on several occasions following it’s formation.
  • In the 2016/2017 season, Lincoln became the first non-league club to progress to the last eight of the competition since 1914 after beating Premier League Burnley.
  • The club made their first and only ever appearance at Wembley Stadium during the 2017/2018 season, beating Shrewsbury Town 1-0 to lift the EFL Trophy.

Free bus service

All fans will be able to use the AG3 matchday bus for free.

The AG3 services stops at Temple Meads, Broadmead and the city centre before dropping right outside Ashton Gate.

This is ideal for fans to connect with dozens of public bus routes across Bristol and services which stop at Bristol Coach Station. Click here to view the First Bus Bristol route map.

The AG1 Portway Park and Ride and AG2 Brislington Park and Ride will operate with standard fares and provide free parking as usual.

Services will depart between 1715 and 1915 on all routes as follows:

AG1 Portway Park and Ride - every 25 mins

AG2 Brislington Park and Ride - every 30 mins

AG3 Temple Meads via Broadmead and centre - every 15 mins

Route maps, tickets and pricing can be found at https://www.bcfc.co.uk/travel/ but please note the different frequency of services as listed above for this fixture.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/free-bus-travel-for-lincoln-game/

Samuel Allison will be the man with the whistle: https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12454358/the-fireman-dreaming-of-the-top

AFD650EA-042C-425A-A9F7-20498DDD3B5E.jpeg

8EECD682-3E85-4124-AC25-3B1B37B9F263.jpeg

778B1CBF-0DC6-44C2-A930-9598F46E22C2.jpeg

23CC3F0E-B4C7-41C9-81D6-4B7095823198.jpeg

Is it me, or that 'Imp' an ugly bar steward?