IGNORED

Lincoln City at home Carabao Cup third-round match thread

Jerseybean

1 minute ago, Swede said:

Hey lads, let's take a step back please! Remembering we're all fans. OTIB is about different opinions and debate. It ceases to be a debate when it gets personal. What makes OTIB great is the wide and varying views of everyone. Not everyone will agree with some of the points raised but you'll get a far more considered response if you are respectful.

Amen brother. ?. Let’s hope we can somehow drag 3 points out the bag Saturday and cheer us all up 

Just now, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

NAME ONE

Your posts are increasingly irrational and I keep asking you to quote me on what you say I've said and even offered £100 to charity if you can quote where I have assassinated Nige's character.

You are fast becoming Nige's useful idiot

Do you seriously think I’m as pathetic as you and I’ll go through your posts . You know full well you & that other clown who got banned ,  We’re shit stirring about him being a a bully etc . All unfounded & proven to be untrue. Just because I’ve a grasp on where we are as a club doesn’t make me a idiot . I wouldn’t support a manger if I thought he had things in place behind the scenes to be doing much better . Just as I didn’t with Johnson. Thing is , he doesn’t . I’ve no interest in conversing with the likes of you . 

4 minutes ago, Swede said:

Hey lads, let's take a step back please! Remembering we're all fans. OTIB is about different opinions and debate. It ceases to be a debate when it gets personal. What makes OTIB great is the wide and varying views of everyone. Not everyone will agree with some of the points raised but you'll get a far more considered response if you are respectful.

I agree but I really can’t stand negativity for the sake of it. The results are bad enough without the constant doom & gloom 

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Do you seriously think I’m as pathetic as you and I’ll go through your posts . You know full well you & that other clown who got banned ,  We’re shit stirring about him being a a bully etc . All unfounded & proven to be untrue. Just because I’ve a grasp on where we are as a club doesn’t make me a idiot . I wouldn’t support a manger if I thought he had things in place behind the scenes to be doing much better . Just as I didn’t with Johnson. Thing is , he doesn’t . I’ve no interest in conversing with the likes of you . 

Well- you're doing a jolly lot of conversing but I accept that you can't back up your delusional posts. Take a chill pill and it will all seem better in the morning.?

1 minute ago, Mattredrobin said:

Has anyone spoken to the media after tonight's game not seen anything from the club yet

Just seen actually Pearson has spoken doesn't take any responsibility though.

"We had players who basically copped out. We don't really have a competitive squad in the way we hoped we had, and that's a big disappointment.

"We've clearly got players who are not showing enough moral fibre. I take responsibility - it's my team.

"It's not good but we'll have to deal with it. We need a response on Saturday [at home to Watford]."

• Like 2

Took some balls to come back from Saturday's loss to Chippenham.

And as bad as we were, you were excellent on the night.

A cracking strike for the first, defended well and as a team.

But mainly, none of the cynical time-wasting, injury feining bollocks we witnessed with Shef Utd the week before.

Enjoy your win, hope you get a good draw. You deserve it.

Well played, Lincoln.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Don't really understand the meltdown to be fair

Most fans wanted to rest players

I didn't expect our raw youngsters like Low and Kadj to be better than Lincoln and they were not

The shame is that Dasilva, Sykes, Klose weren't better than them either. Less said about King and Martin the better.

It was quite exciting seeing Conway and Scott absolutely dominate in the second half

Looks like Klose has transformed into Tony Dinning mark 2 (probably about mark 222 in reality!). Dasilva put in a typical performance, and I'm sure everyone understands that Sykes's early performances were exceptional by his standards and we've been seeing his more usual performances for a while. King and Martin proved why they don't usually get starts. I thought Joe Williams was pretty poor as well. But at least he was trying. And Antonie seems to be trying to play his way out of the World Cup with park level finishing.

I wanted to see the youngsters in to at least find out where are with them.  (I don't really know what else people wanted Pearson to do. Don't make mne laugh with all that 'cup run' rubbish,) Low, Kadji and Bajic didn't show that they were good enough to be starting first team games. Low and Bajic got very nervous and made more mistakes, not helped by booing them though was it?

Well done Tommy Conway. One of the five or so players in the squad that can be trusted to perform.

Definaoitity

• Flames 1

Nigel made the point he put Andy King at CB because … (his long silent pause, not mine). 

Said the senior players didn’t protect Low, basically  

Also first half in one of the breaks he was giving Sykes a right rollocking, so clearly he was another who just isn’t doing it for Nigel at the moment. 

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Would you get rid & if so who do you get in . There’s a few on here who shout sack him , Pearson out etc , but haven’t got the mental capacity to give a well thought out explanation on who they’d get in & why. 

I'm not in the Pearson out camp, however IF he were to leave I'd look no further than Mark Robins. Ex player, interviewed for the job a few times. Has done wonders at Cov with no budget, gives youth a go. Can get his teams playing good football but can also organise them to shut up shop. 

Is that good enough? 

28 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Don't really understand the meltdown to be fair

Most fans wanted to rest players

I didn't expect our raw youngsters like Low and Kadj to be better than Lincoln and they were not

The shame is that Dasilva, Sykes, Klose weren't better than them either. Less said about King and Martin the better.

It was quite exciting seeing Conway and Scott absolutely dominate in the second half

I don't think Klose has fully recovered from his injury. King is too old and should concentrate on his coaching role.Martin has totally lost form to the extent I fo not think he will regain it. Waste of a space in the matchday squad.I'd rather see Massengo sat there, regardless of his probable impending departure.  At least he entertains for about 10 minutes per game.

34 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm not in the Pearson out camp, however IF he were to leave I'd look no further than Mark Robins. Ex player, interviewed for the job a few times. Has done wonders at Cov with no budget, gives youth a go. Can get his teams playing good football but can also organise them to shut up shop. 

Is that good enough? 

He’s got a good thing going at Coventry and is well respected there. Doubt very much he would be interested in coming here at the moment. 

1 hour ago, westonred said:

It's not my plan but how are you going to raise funds for new players ? I'm affraid we are a selling club we have a history of selling our best players Brownhill Webster Reid Bryan in recent years

That was under Ashton, it was also to fund signings that at the time really made a statement. 
I see Pearson as trying to get through this season, then he can release a large number of players who he wants to replace but cannot sell, Bentley will most likely be gone, that's one big wage replaced by max which means Pearson can sign a free agent and offer a good wage, there will be other players but most of all the wages freed up will allow Pearson to make the signings he needs to move us forward. As you've said, we have to sell to buy, but I don't think Pearsons plans for us is to buy success, it's to develop it and that takes time. 
If we were to sell Semenyo, Scott, Conway etc we'd be in a worse place than we are now, we'd also have no future as we'd have sold our biggest talents with others leaving due to ended contracts. We'll already take a hit with Massengo if he's not sold in January, so I see Pearson aiming to get to January, sell Massengo and maybe bring in a few players on short contracts to fill spots that he couldn't in the summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Semenyo go if we're offered a good price too. We're not shot of strikers so selling Semenyo when our best duo are Wells and Conway wouldn't be a huge loss as we can't play the way Semenyo is suited to, we just don't have the players in the midfield that would feed him the passes he thrives on and that play to his strengths. 

All in all today was a bad result but so far this season we've already had Max show he can be our starting goalkeeper, we've already seen that Conway can start as a striker, we've also seen Scott go from strength to strength, they're all youth that have been developed. just because Low and Kadji haven't shone in their first games it doesn't mean our youth system isn't the future as it's developing enough successful players that it is worth putting the time and effort into. Pearson is using the youth, he is trying to build a balanced and cohesive team but that doesn't always happen in a season or two, sometimes you have to run down contracts of players who aren't right for the club and then replace them with players who do.

My biggest fear right now is people will have a knee jerk reaction to a piss poor result during a period where we have a lot of players out and undo the shaping Pearson has been doing. Come next season if we started with Max in goal, a right back of the quality that Pearson wants (or Kane if he gets to that place), a new CM of quality I think we'd have a strong starting line up, I also think he'd be able to bring in depth if as many players as we expect are going to be let go. I think January will be telling for us, I'm also thinking once we have some of our players back we'll get back on track, however if we sack Pearson now we'll just be hamstringing ourselves, having to rebuild for a new managers vision and it won't move any quicker and could be far worse. I guess time will tell but should Pearson go tomorrow I can't see any excitement in the near future, we'd just struggle with a squad built around one vision with a new man in charge with a different vision and plan.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I genuinely think we might be. And so much appetite here for a big, successful club. Nothing else for miles around. And it’s not a rugby city, it’s a football city. The attendances prove that.

I hate that I support us.

My son sent me that message after Cardiff dumped us out of the play offs all those years ago.

Yet there we were tonight still watching that crock of shit. i struggle to remember a worse 45mins than the first half tonight.

21 minutes ago, BITW said:

He’s got a good thing going at Coventry and is well respected there. Doubt very much he would be interested in coming here at the moment. 

Coventry are a mess. Despite that he has performed miracles. They had to sell Hyam on the cheap for cash flow reasons. Apparently they were days away from administration. Their owners will not invest any money and won't make any money available for transfers. There is uncertainty surrounding the stadium. 

It won't be long until Cov cash in on their better players and Robins won't recieve the funds from that. 

The job here is very similar but for different reasons. His wages would probably be doubled here. We have the stability of infrastructure and ownership. If things improved then he would be given funds. 

I think he'd find it hard to turn down. 

13 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

My son sent me that message after Cardiff dumped us out of the play offs all those years ago.

Yet there we were tonight still watching that crock of shit. i struggle to remember a worse 45mins than the first half tonight.

Let's not forget how much has changed since then. 

We are now an established Championship club with a great stadium and training ground. 

So whilst things may momentarily be shit, it's not as shit as it used to be. 

• Like 1

Lincoln's 1st goal was an excellent strike, the 2nd and 3rd were dreadful by us.

Damage was done early, we had an opportunity tonight...

1) Either getting deeper into the Cup or a plum tie in Round 4. (Watch Lincoln get one).

2) A good performance and display, reckon some newcomers or lapsed fans tonight. Well none of them will be likely to return.

3) Was nice to see some young players get their debut, but how many took their chance. More damningly, how many senior players certainly in respect of those returning to the side took theirs.

• Like 1