IGNORED

Semenyo

TomShor10

Can’t really defend him but Idk how I’d react to his situation though if I were him. A lot on the line for him in the next 6 months. That said, playing like he is now, he won’t get the big move perhaps he is hoping for. World Cup just an extra platform for him to get his name out. 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think he’s carrying an injury, he hasn’t got a run in him.

Can’t remember which game it was 4 or 5 games back, but he took a whack.

Might sound like and excuse for him, but I reckon he’s struggling with something.

At least it doesn't inhibit his ability to smash the ball over the bar! 

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, mozo said:

At least it doesn't inhibit his ability to smash the ball over the bar! 

He looks like the guy we saw in his first appearances here, who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. 

Thing is: We know he can do better. Shoot better; pass better; be stronger; think better.

Why he isn't is conjecture. Fevs thinks it's physical, I think it's mental attitude,  others think it's World Cup fever.

Up to Nigel to pull him out of it though, or he's bench material at best. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Said in another thread the other day he seems to have lost any sort of composure he had last season. It reminds me of the Semenyo we had in 20/21 season where everything has to be hit as hard as possible. 

Needs a goal soon because I think more will follow when he gets one.

I agree, but on his current form when is he likely to score?   Surely with a coach like Euell in the background, Antoine can get over his major dip in form, he has everything going for him, he just needs to get his confidence back?    

12 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Said in another thread the other day he seems to have lost any sort of composure he had last season. It reminds me of the Semenyo we had in 20/21 season where everything has to be hit as hard as possible. 

Needs a goal soon because I think more will follow when he gets one.

I think the issue is he is not getting time on the ball to terrify defenders or take them on before shooting. If you look at his goals they are not typical strikers finishes, Conway style. He needs time to pick up the ball and gather momentum. That’s what he’s not getting at the moment because teams have worked out how to stifle him. I believe he works better with a physical defender drawing strike partner who can do the dirty work off the ball. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TomShor10 said:

The bloke is pathetic. Putting half arsed performances so he is ready for the World Cup. Here’s hoping he doesn’t get selected 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we don't have the players in midfield or out wide that will play the passes that Semenyo suits best, he is at his best running onto a pass, not receiving the ball at his feet and that's exactly how we play. Every time Semenyo makes a run and has a pass put just in front of him he wins the battle to the ball or uses his strength and pace to break through players, but we don't play that football very often and more often than not he receives the ball to feet where he is focuses too much on the ball that he doesn't watch his marking player and he loses the ball. 
I think he's going to be one of those players who goes elsewhere and they'll supply him the kinds of passes that suits his strengths and then fans will question why he never did it for us. As much as I hate to say it I think we need to cash in on him, invest that money in the midfield. We have Conway who has come on leaps and bounds and is far more adaptive to our style of play, we have Wells and Bell when he comes through too. I don't think we're lacking strikers who will put the ball in the net, we're still lacking that midfielder who can be a threat in the middle so we're not always forced to go wide and cross or always look for counter attacks. I still maintain Scott could be that player but hasn't really been given the chance in that attacking role because we need him in the middle of the park playing box to box duties, if he was given the role just behind the strikers and could actually stick to it and not feel he has to cover for lesser players behind him I think he'd really shine, he'd at the very least run at some players in the middle and cause chaos for the opposition defence.

Semenyo is getting a lot of hate but I think it's just a case of square peg, round hole, put him in a square hole team set up and he'll fit like a charm, we just can't build that for him here without signing better quality in the midfield first, something that is far more important than keeping an asset that doesn't suit us.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

Watching him pull out of two one on one's tonight one of witch with the keeper that could of easily seen is get a goal back is just shameful, 

If as it looks he's not fully committed to city atb the moment as it looks then I would rather her wasn't playing for us at the moment, 

• Like 5

He pulled out of atleast two challenges in front of the South Stand tonight. One with the keeper when he looked odds on to nip in & score and then again with a defender right on the byline after 88 mins. Truly embarrassing for a pro to be doing that & shouldn’t be anywhere near the team on Saturday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomShor10 said:

The bloke is pathetic. Putting half arsed performances so he is ready for the World Cup. Here’s hoping he doesn’t get selected 

He's already confirmed to be in the Ghana squad, and we can only hope for the clubs sake he performs well. That rumored £10M offer from the summer is looking better and better....

Edited by Champfan45

8 hours ago, TomShor10 said:

I know your just angry but talk about cut your nose off despite your face. 

Semenyo has a good WC his value goes up & comes back full of confidence ready help us get to safety & then leaves in the summer at a decent fee.

if he has a slight knock or niggle he will no doubt be trying not to aggravate as you would too if you were playing at the same level. 

a lot of PL teams are having similar issues with availability due to an awkwardly timed World Cup in Qatar.

Down to the manager to recognise that and select the best team for the game.

7 hours ago, Cardy said:

He pulled out of atleast two challenges in front of the South Stand tonight. One with the keeper when he looked odds on to nip in & score and then again with a defender right on the byline after 88 mins. Truly embarrassing for a pro to be doing that & shouldn’t be anywhere near the team on Saturday.

I'm not defending him but I'm sure he won't be the only one especially this weekend who might shirk a 50/50 challenge.

7 hours ago, Cardy said:

My thoughts exactly, he was a passenger last night clearly bottled any challenges and those two stuck out massively.

He looked like a player that you'd want to offload and get someone better in to replace last night, and also from all his appearances this season I've seen really. 

He’s one game (likely benched) away from playing in a World Cup! The decision to award the tournament to Qatar is appalling on so so many levels, it’s left me seriously considering turning my back on it. One of the less major damning reasons a World Cup should not be in Nov is exactly the position so many players are in right now. Bale not playing until the last 10 mins of the final game of the season to stay fit - imagine his salary etc for him to do that. 

It is poor from Semenyo- and it might well mark the end of his time here negatively, but if he goes to the WC, plays a role in Ghana achieving something, he will be worth a lot to us in Jan, when we surely will sell him. 

• Like 1

Semenyo imo is an attacking midfielder/attacker.

He's not a 'natural' striker/goalscorer.

It's the weakest part of his game. He has to constantly work at it. 

Tinman has commented a few times that it's his weakness and needs working on.

Conway on the other hand has that ' natural' eye for goal.

You can train as much as you like, but at his age you won't develop that natural goal scoring instinct, especially at this level.

His composure when shooting, his timing, striking of ball, often scuffed on goal, choice/ instinctive direction, is regularly rushed.

He has many other strong attributes, and when he has composed himself and it's all come together, it is fantastic. However...imo, I don't think he has the ability to do it on a regular basis...as a ' goal scorer'. 

• Like 3

Nige has tried to lever him into the team lately in all sorts of positions, and based on past performances you can understand why. But on current form he needs to be benched. He isn’t inform and shouldn’t be in the team at the expense of a promising Conway/Wells partnership

• Like 3