IGNORED

Semenyo

TomShor10

17 minutes ago, Champfan45 said:

It was Bournemouth I believe but yes 10 million was the rumored amount 

I’ve noticed the last couple of games he’s wearing a black strapping on his shin / leg during the warm-up.  He took a whack versus West Brom (a) and then was subbed off a few mins later.  I think he’s not fully fit.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve noticed the last couple of games he’s wearing a black strapping on his shin / leg during the warm-up.  He took a whack versus West Brom (a) and then was subbed off a few mins later.  I think he’s not fully fit.

So if he going to world cup not fully fit. Then injury gets worse during world cup he back to us on injury list. That no good for anyone 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Hope your right Dave.  As he’s not looked the same since injury.  Holding back for the World Cup, Jan move comes to mind, however don’t think he’s that type of pro. 

On 08/11/2022 at 23:53, Spike said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we don't have the players in midfield or out wide that will play the passes that Semenyo suits best, he is at his best running onto a pass, not receiving the ball at his feet and that's exactly how we play. Every time Semenyo makes a run and has a pass put just in front of him he wins the battle to the ball or uses his strength and pace to break through players, but we don't play that football very often and more often than not he receives the ball to feet where he is focuses too much on the ball that he doesn't watch his marking player and he loses the ball. 
I think he's going to be one of those players who goes elsewhere and they'll supply him the kinds of passes that suits his strengths and then fans will question why he never did it for us. As much as I hate to say it I think we need to cash in on him, invest that money in the midfield. We have Conway who has come on leaps and bounds and is far more adaptive to our style of play, we have Wells and Bell when he comes through too. I don't think we're lacking strikers who will put the ball in the net, we're still lacking that midfielder who can be a threat in the middle so we're not always forced to go wide and cross or always look for counter attacks. I still maintain Scott could be that player but hasn't really been given the chance in that attacking role because we need him in the middle of the park playing box to box duties, if he was given the role just behind the strikers and could actually stick to it and not feel he has to cover for lesser players behind him I think he'd really shine, he'd at the very least run at some players in the middle and cause chaos for the opposition defence.

Semenyo is getting a lot of hate but I think it's just a case of square peg, round hole, put him in a square hole team set up and he'll fit like a charm, we just can't build that for him here without signing better quality in the midfield first, something that is far more important than keeping an asset that doesn't suit us.

Conway is far better IMO, team is on a bad run, and Tommy still scoring.  Semenyo had chances last season which he would of bulged the net with, it’s just not going for him.  He’s not the same player post injury.  Less mobile, as Dave suggested somewhere on here he’s carrying a injury. 

• Like 2

On 08/11/2022 at 23:02, Ivorguy said:

Greatly over rated.  His career probably peaked last season

We should have tried to sell last window. Get rid in January 

I’ve been discussing this elsewhere this week. I do wonder if we will severely regret not selling him August. Right now you can’t see him getting anywhere near those valuations at the time. 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You may be able to correct me dave

But wasn’t his injury , that came to a head , so to speak , certainly an initial problem ,  when he was away with Ghana a Shin / lower leg problem ?

My memory may be playing tricks but I remember thinking some early words about it and thinking at the time it could be a shin splint 

19 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

You may be able to correct me dave

But wasn’t his injury , that came to a head , so to speak , certainly an initial problem ,  when he was away with Ghana a Shin / lower leg problem ?

My memory may be playing tricks but I remember thinking some early words about it and thinking at the time it could be a shin splint 

Yes, it was a shin injury…pretty sure it was along the lines of shin splints or even a slight break / crack.

• Thanks 1

The guy just needs a goal from somewhere.  Remember his early goals came from just closing down the keeper and getting a ricochet.  Once he gets one he will start firing again. He's a confidence player that just needs a spark to get him going. Rather he was in our side than playing against us.

Problem is, will Nige be patient with him?

• Hmmm 1

Lots of managers are complaining about the timing of this dog’s breakfast of a World Cup. Too many international  players are saving themselves for it and negatively affecting the club games . 
These guys are only human and are evidently not only excited to be going but also having to deal with the consequences of  their absence at home, kids, wife etc. 
We can only hope that Semenyo is very distracted and returns in the sort of exciting form he showed up until quite recently. 

• Like 2

On 08/11/2022 at 22:57, TomShor10 said:

The bloke is pathetic. Putting half arsed performances so he is ready for the World Cup. Here’s hoping he doesn’t get selected 

Yeh, and that antedeluvian Chris Martin did exactly the same.

Saving himself in the hope of a surprise call up to the Scotland squad.

England beware !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Good effort from him today when he came on, he just isn't getting the breaks right now. Despite some of the ridiculous comments on this thread, from some who should know better, he hasn't become a bad player overnight.

It would be like him to come off the bench for Ghana and look amazing 

5 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Good luck to him if he does. He will be fresh and a comparative unknown to the defenders, if he gets going he will take some stopping. Maybe it will give him some impetus when he gets back here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Given his current form and possibly still struggling with injury, it wouldn't be a surprise if he doesn't make the squad.

I hope he does, it could give him a lift and a bit of confidence.

Bloke needs a goal to get him going again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

But that ain’t good enough.
He can not be allowed to choose when he plays and when he doesn’t. He is best as an impact substitute IMO.

Agree re picking and choosing.  But a Semenyo on form is so much more than an impact sub.  His biggest issue when on firm is ousting the partnership of Conway and Wells who are very good together.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, David Brent said:

We, and he, miss the Chris Martin of last season. 

Good point.

I believe that too many forget that he played for Scotland. Whatever one thinks about that country's league quality, it is a step up from any league in the world and while Chris is no speed merchant, his reading of the game is excellent.

Assuming he leaves out of contract in the summer, a like replacement could be necessary to help our City Babes strikers to keep improving their game.

7 hours ago, David Brent said:

We, and he, miss the Chris Martin of last season. 

It looked like Semenyo was starting to become that kind of striker that can hold the ball up and link the play, but it seems like he coughs it up a bit too much. Kinda reminds me of Lukaku who is a big lad but his game revolves more around running in behind