IGNORED

Semenyo

TomShor10

I can understand why fans want Semenyo to do well.

But has anyone stopped and looked at Ghana and it's stance on the LBGT community and its restrictions, prison sentences etc?

Now I'm not advocating anything. Personally I couldn't give a toss. Well I could if it was all inclusive...as in everyone.

But I'd be interested if for example Ghana had been given the WC. And how people would view it. Any different to Quatar? Maybe...but still.

I find it amusing that some people so anti Qatar...which I am...are so supportive of Ghana, just because of Antoine. 

Just check out Ghana's laws etc.

So selective...

Edited by spudski
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

18 hours ago, 2015 said:

Not sure how to feel about it tbh. I thought he'd downed tools a little bit for City over the last month leading up to the World Cup, I can hardly blame him as he may never get this chance again but at the same time I think a player should be professional still and giving 100% for their club.

The pundits on MOTD made the point that the timing of the WC has made it really hard for players that might be going. It's understandable that it would be in the back of their minds, and from what we can see across the Prem, he certainly wouldn't be the only one. 

Mind you at $40,000 a day you could say he has down the club a big financial favour by ensuring he has stayed fit.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I do not believe that crowd noise.

That fan noise is as bad as the tinned laughing on 1970’s sitcoms …. Probably 10% real fans, 15% fans hired by organizers and they rest of the noise generated by computer and pumped out on the speakers… 

what a farce

3 hours ago, Champfan45 said:

I wonder how one would go about editing these articles. Is there a Pidgin auto correct available? It would be great fun to turn it on surreptitiously if one of your mates leaves their phone lying around 

image.png.ec2c4e6c0a0887ab937aca1133255c6d.png

However...
https://techcabal.com/2019/12/16/how-two-nigerian-ai-engineers-built-the-worlds-first-pidgin-to-english-translation-model/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spudski said:

I can understand why fans want Semenyo to do well.

But has anyone stopped and looked at Ghana and it's stance on the LBGT community and its restrictions, prison sentences etc?

Now I'm not advocating anything. Personally I couldn't give a toss. Well I could if it was all inclusive...as in everyone.

But I'd be interested if for example Ghana had been given the WC. And how people would view it. Any different to Quatar? Maybe...but still.

I find it amusing that some people so anti Qatar...which I am...are so supportive of Ghana, just because of Antoine. 

Just check out Ghana's laws etc.

So selective...

Qatar is wealthy. Ghana is poor.

Chance of Ghana being able to afford to stage a World Cup is zero. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Qatar is wealthy. Ghana is poor.

Chance of Ghana being able to afford to stage a World Cup is zero. 

Yes I'm aware of that...but it still doesn't take away from the facts regarding Ghana's social and human rights issues. 

If Ghana wasn't a poor nation and did have the World Cup, the spotlight would be on the country. Issues would be raised.

The fact it's not, means the issues are ignored. 

These facts will give you a picture of what it's like in Ghana. 

https://www.amnesty.org/en/location/africa/west-and-central-africa/ghana/report-ghana/

Edited by spudski

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Yes I'm aware of that...but it still doesn't take away from the facts regarding Ghana's social and human rights issues. 

If Ghana wasn't a poor nation and did have the World Cup, the spotlight would be on the country. Issues would be raised.

The fact it's not, means the issues are ignored. 

Lots of countries have poor human rights for gay citizens, corruption and the death penalty.

What put Qatar so much into the spotlight was that they bought the tournament by open bribery and corruption and - having none of the stadia or hotels necessary to stage it - imported tens of thousands of poor Asians to build that infrastructure in conditions that led to thousands of deaths.

If the World Cup is going to be limited to countries that have European standards of human rights, then it will only ever be played in Europe.  And Australia hopefully.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Lots of countries have poor human rights for gay citizens, corruption and the death penalty.

What put Qatar so much into the spotlight was that they bought the tournament by open bribery and corruption and - having none of the stadia or hotels necessary to stage it - imported tens of thousands of poor Asians to build that infrastructure in conditions that led to thousands of deaths.

If the World Cup is going to be limited to countries that have European standards of human rights, then it will only ever be played in Europe.  And Australia hopefully.  

I'm well aware of that. However...the main focus seems to be aimed at the human rights in Qatar...not the issues you've mentioned.

Hence mentioning and bringing to light Ghana's poor human rights.

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm well aware of that. However...the main focus seems to be aimed at the human rights in Qatar...not the issues you've mentioned.

Hence mentioning and bringing to light Ghana's poor human rights.

I think they're quite average for Africa. In terms of stability, Ghana is a fairly stable state (and has been since the early 70s) with a functioning democracy. Endemic corruption in built, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a country in Africa that hasn't got that, and recent years have shown that the UK cannot point the finger when it comes to ministers lining their pockets and rewarding cronies.

Over 'gay rights' you have to accept that in much of the developing world societal norms are not what they are in the West. It's a long march when it comes to African countries accepting homosexuality, although sub-Saharan Africa has one beacon in South Africa where LGBTQ rights are now comprehensively protected. But South Africa's much richer and more developed than most of her northern neighbours, and education and the media runs along Western lines. It has a different culture. 

39 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think they're quite average for Africa. In terms of stability, Ghana is a fairly stable state (and has been since the early 70s) with a functioning democracy. Endemic corruption in built, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a country in Africa that hasn't got that, and recent years have shown that the UK cannot point the finger when it comes to ministers lining their pockets and rewarding cronies.

Over 'gay rights' you have to accept that in much of the developing world societal norms are not what they are in the West. It's a long march when it comes to African countries accepting homosexuality, although sub-Saharan Africa has one beacon in South Africa where LGBTQ rights are now comprehensively protected. But South Africa's much richer and more developed than most of her northern neighbours, and education and the media runs along Western lines. It has a different culture. 

I well aware of what you are saying. However... I think you've completely missed my point.

It's not just the LBGT rights...it's the human rights across everyone. 

Female genital mutilation still goes on, huge numbers of rapes. Witch camps and death to woman they think practice witchcraft FFS ?? 

Showing forms of affection in public regardless of sex.

Death sentences... Etc, etc.

To name just a few.

To say ' it's a different culture'...is true. To say it's average and just accept it isn't imo.

We have Ghanaians living in this country. We are told to accept them and their culture.

I'm happy to accept anyone...but I'll be damned if Im going to accept someone who believes in that idealogy, just because it's their culture.

This is where it's so hypocritical.

As a nation we are told to be accepting of everyone's religion, sex, culture and beliefs, and live side by side in the same country happily...yet in the same token, we have cultures living here that don't believe in any of that. 

How is it meant to work?

The Club continually back the rainbow brigade...and want Inclusivity across all peoples.

How does it work, if for example, one of our players who comes from a different culture, like Ghana,  says he won't be part of the Clubs backing of rights...as it goes against his religious beliefs and culture?

Can you see the conflict of interests? 

In one breath saying be accepting of all cultures and beliefs...but in another breath, saying you have to support something that goes against your beliefs and culture.

It's ridiculous when you think about it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

I well aware of what you are saying. However... I think you've completely missed my point.

Female genital mutilation still goes on, huge numbers of rapes. Witch camps and death to woman they think practice witchcraft FFS ?? 

To name just a few.

To say ' it's a different culture'...is true. To say it's average and just accept it isn't imo.

We have Ghanaians living in this country. We are told to accept them and their culture.

I'm happy to accept anyone...but I'll be damned if Im going to accept someone who believes in that idealogy, just because it's their culture.

As a nation we are told to be accepting of everyone's religion, sex, culture and beliefs, and live side by side in the same country happily...yet in the same token, we have cultures living here that don't believe in any of that. 

How is it meant to work?

The Club continually back the rainbow brigade...and want Inclusivity across all peoples.

How does it work, if for example, one of our players who comes from a different culture, like Ghana,  says he won't be part of the Clubs backing of rights...as it goes against his religious beliefs and culture?

In one breath saying be accepting of all cultures and beliefs...but in another breath, saying you have to support something that goes against your beliefs and culture.

Not supporting any of that, but you're not talking about a nation hosting the World Cup. IF Ghana ever put a bid in, I'm sure these negative factors would get the attention they deserve.

However, Qatar is the HOST, which, I'm sure you'll agree, is why they are coming particularly in for criticism at this present time. (And that's before we get into Qatar's role as a state supporter of terrorist movements in the Near East)

Qatar wanted to put itself under the international spotlight by buying this contest. Well, it did, but its attempt at sports-washing also brought into focus the more repellent side of its governance. 

Ghana's certainly not a perfect society, but it's better than many of its neighbours. As this map shows, the incidence of FGM is among the lowest in West Africa.

1280px-Composite_FGM_world_map.svg.png

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not supporting any of that, but you're not talking about a nation hosting the World Cup. IF Ghana ever put a bid in, I'm sure these negative factors would get the attention they deserve.

However, Qatar is the HOST, which, I'm sure you'll agree, is why they are coming particularly in for criticism at this present time. (And that's before we get into Qatar's role as a state supporter of terrorist movements in the Near East)

Qatar wanted to put itself under the international spotlight by buying this contest. Well, it did, but its attempt at sports-washing also brought into focus the more repellent side of its governance. 

Ghana's certainly not a perfect society, but it's better than many of its neighbours. As this map shows, the incidence of FGM is among the lowest in West Africa.

I agree...I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

To name just a few.

How is it meant to work?

Almost all religions are repressive and discriminatory in some way, even Christianity.  There’s an awful lot of hypocrisy about attitudes to this World Cup. Did anyone question Russia’s human rights record in 2018?  Did anyone object to playing against countries which had fascist juntas (Chile, Argentina, Spain) in previous World Cups?  Qatar is far from alone in having legal measures hostile to LGBT+, so do we ostracise all Muslim nations?  Erm, aren’t England playing Iran in the group stage?  I have a lot of issues with Catholicism, but would be severely restricted if I couldn’t visit catholic countries.

The whole thing is a can of worms and to see a clear way through it is well nigh impossible.

• Hmmm 1

53 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Getting back to football instead of politics. Hope Semenyo does really well for Ghana, then maybe a Prem club will come in with a £15m bid for him in January. If we have to lose somebody to be in shape for not failing FFP next season, then much rather it was Semenyo than Conway or Scott.

Quite agree...

Take the money, run & don't look back.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Getting back to football instead of politics. Hope Semenyo does really well for Ghana, then maybe a Prem club will come in with a £15m bid for him in January. If we have to lose somebody to be in shape for not failing FFP next season, then much rather it was Semenyo than Conway or Scott.

It's no coincidence that he is squad number 25 I think. He has Mohammed Kudus of Ajax, Kamal Sowah of Club Brugge, the two Ayews and Inaki Williams of Athletic Bilbao to compete with as forward options.

I don't expect him to start or otherwise get a lot of game time.

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Half the world has dodgy cultures and beliefs, you see christian aid adverts raising money for 12 year old girls having to marry much older men, while the catholic church have been covering up child abuse for decades, the media never report on that stuff because its not part of their propaganda to do it. The world Is basically shit, we had people pulling down statues in bristol when there are any number of countries in the world where slavery is still regularly practiced, if they felt that strongly they would be campaigning outside embassies and pulling them down instead. I expect every country there has had some sort of human rights/ culture issue over the last 30/40 years…  obviously not merry old england though whose royalty is beyond reproach and we beat up the miners.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

It's no coincidence that he is squad number 25 I think. He has Mohammed Kudus of Ajax, Kamal Sowah of Club Brugge, the two Ayews and Inaki Williams of Athletic Bilbao to compete with as forward options.

I don't expect him to start or otherwise get a lot of game time.

The best scenario is for Ghana to get 4 points minimum from the first two games, with Antoine maybe getting off the bench, then he gets a full 90 in the third (dead rubber) and has a stormer to get himself in the picture for the next game(s) :) .

• Like 1

Just now, Port Said Red said:

The best scenario is for Ghana to get 4 points minimum from the first two games, with Antoine maybe getting off the bench, then he gets a full 90 in the third (dead rubber) and has a stormer to get himself in the picture for the next game(s) :) .

Isn't their last group game the revenge match against Uruguay? Could be a bloodbath so I'd rather he stayed out of it!

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Likewise, I hope he scores for fun and gets shipped out for millions.

He won't though rather The Ghanaian Wolstenholme will oft be heard to say:

"Blasted no kɔɔ soro wɔ bar."
"Dragged no trɛw bio."

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Almost all religions are repressive and discriminatory in some way, even Christianity.  There’s an awful lot of hypocrisy about attitudes to this World Cup. Did anyone question Russia’s human rights record in 2018?  Did anyone object to playing against countries which had fascist juntas (Chile, Argentina, Spain) in previous World Cups?  Qatar is far from alone in having legal measures hostile to LGBT+, so do we ostracise all Muslim nations?  Erm, aren’t England playing Iran in the group stage?  I have a lot of issues with Catholicism, but would be severely restricted if I couldn’t visit catholic countries.

The whole thing is a can of worms and to see a clear way through it is well nigh impossible.

I really think I'm not getting my point across very well.

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy.

We are being told on one hand to be an accepting and multicultural society.

Accepting of people's, race, religion, sexual preference, culture.

Yet those cultures, religions etc can go against everything the country is promoting as what we should think and believe.

How can you be accepting of someone's culture and beliefs, yet tell them they are wrong in what they believe?