IGNORED

FBC POD: City vs. Lincoln ... the verdict

headhunter

We're recording the Pod live at 11.15 and we'll try so hard to take a positive view. 

Here's the link to listen live & have your say:   https://www.podbean.com/lsw/voj3TKjf6G?lsid=wLRROsqgu83     The recording will be available on Apple, Spotify & Google from 1.00 PM and a link to listen will be posted later in this thread.

Was it right to make so many changes  ..... did we see enough of Bajic to take a view on his ability ..... should Klose have played right in the 3 to allow the inexperienced Low to play in his preferred central role .... is Semenyo's mind elsewhere .... does Chris Martin have anything to offer any more ..... how does Nigel lift the team when he speaks of players "copping out" or "lacking moral fibre" .... is Watford now a must win game or would a draw calm everyone down going into the World Cup break?

Pose us some questions you'd like answered

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, headhunter said:

We're recording the Pod live at 11.15 and we'll try so hard to take a positive view. 

Here's the link to listen live & have your say:   https://www.podbean.com/lsw/voj3TKjf6G?lsid=wLRROsqgu83     The recording will be available on Apple, Spotify & Google from 1.00 PM and a link to listen will be posted later in this thread.

Was it right to make so many changes  ..... did we see enough of Bajic to take a view on his ability ..... should Klose have played right in the 3 to allow the inexperienced Low to play in his preferred central role .... is Semenyo's mind elsewhere .... does Chris Martin have anything to offer any more ..... how does Nigel lift the team when he speaks of players "copping out" or "lacking moral fibre" .... is Watford now a must win game or would a draw calm everyone down going into the World Cup break?

Don't try and be positive to satisfy the superfans on here. It was a heap of shit and most of it down to pearsons selection s and "to late" subs. Say it as it is, looking forward to hearing it. 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Last night was truly awful but if you take this phrase at face value then you really are very naive.

Weird that I never saw any publicity of the pod covering the decent point we got at Boro but I guess there must be a very good reason?

• Like 2

Here's what we recorded earlier: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-f2k4h-130d531

Nothing knee-jerk in our reaction. Something does need to change and it might be an idea to flex our formation.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Weird that I never saw any publicity of the pod covering the decent point we got at Boro but I guess there must be a very good reason?

Don't always put a link on here. We did for the wins. Weird that you always find a reason to criticise in some way - we're living rent free in your mind!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That was excruciating at times. Especially the bits around picking a team for the next game and around Watford’s Davis.

’Play Naismith at LM…not many people will disagree’

’McInnes was a good manager’

’DaSilva doesn’t bomb on like Mickey Bell does’

It was like a resident in a nursing home had won a competition to host a podcast.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Henry said:

That was excruciating at times. Especially the bits around picking a team for the next game and around Watford’s Davis.

’Play Naismith at LM…not many people will disagree’  - is that such a bad idea; he's been a liability at the back more than once

’McInnes was a good manager’ - I did not say that. I said that at the time of his appointment there weren't too many critics. 6 months later, different story. Win rate 27% in 63 matches

’DaSilva doesn’t bomb on like Mickey Bell does’ - he doesn't, Micky Bell did and you can add Darren Barnard & Martin Scott to that list

It was like a resident in a nursing home had won a competition to host a podcast - how old are you? Don't be so ****ing rude

Happy with how things are Henry?

If you've nothing constructive to say,  don't listen and just **ss off.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Last night was truly awful but if you take this phrase at face value then you really are very naive.

You come across very rude towards the podcast and repeatedly spout negativity towards it on OTIB whenever the podcast has been announced. I think we're lucky to have a variety of different pods as a club and i'm grateful for Headhunter, Ian, Lez, Mark, Davefevs for putting it out there for us to listen to. If you don't like it, don't listen and stop posting negativity about it

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not too sure what your agenda was re suggesting that SL should sell the club. A few if your statements were just incorrect.

1. Derby County was sold for £17 million not £59 as you suggested ( Pride park was sold for £22 million)

2. A lower end Championship club, without assets, is worth approx £25 million (hardly a game changer)

3. The Premier League isn't the pot of gold most think it is. Most Premier clubs lose money.

4. Ian' s points about us being in the poop financially, if relegated, were generally correct. What he didn't add is that we will immediately lose £8 million solidarity payments from the Premier League.

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

You come across very rude towards the podcast and repeatedly spout negativity towards it on OTIB whenever the podcast has been announced. I think we're lucky to have a variety of different pods as a club and i'm grateful for Headhunter, Ian, Lez, Mark, Davefevs for putting it out there for us to listen to. If you don't like it, don't listen and stop posting negativity about it

Ah bless.

For your information I don’t listen to it or ever comment on its actual content.

My issue is the sarcastic tone adopted almost from day one by the host towards NP, he often says he’s backing him but his comments usually suggest the polar opposite. 

The last time I did listen to it I’m pretty sure that he suggested giving Chris Martin a new 3 year contract which I couldn’t work out whether it was a subtle attempt at criticism of his then regular selection, an odd attempt at humour or the result of an experiment with LSD.

I don’t feel any need to hear anything that Ian Gay ever has to say, as I don’t have any respect for his views.

I message Dave Fevs a couple of times a week or so & sit near Neil at the Gate (who you didn’t mention) so I get to hear both of their views anyway.

10 hours ago, frenchred said:

Don't try and be positive to satisfy the superfans on here. It was a heap of shit and most of it down to pearsons selection s and "to late" subs. Say it as it is, looking forward to hearing it. 

Agree, don’t be positive, just ensure there is balance (where appropriate).  It’s right to be critical of performance (opening 45 at least) and result, but there’s probably some questions to ask yourself “why”…rather than just come out with the “what”.  I have no issue with saying it’s shit when it is shit, and there is no reason why it should’ve been shit. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

Happy with how things are Henry?

If you've nothing constructive to say,  don't listen and just **ss off.

I’d suggest you get a thicker skin if you’re going to put something out in public and then seek to publicise it.

You did make Ian Gay sound the more balanced and reasonable one. Is that constructive enough? 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

23 hours ago, headhunter said:

Was always going to be a tough listen given the result.

A few points for future discussion and they are deeper questions and move away from the emotion of results but delve into the ‘why’ of where we are 

Lack of top flight football - why? It’s not for the want of trying or even money, given what Ashton/LJ spent on players. 14 years since we finished in the top 6 and never got close since. Are we a serial underperformer or is this our level?

Being Bristol City - NP has referenced more than once we are ‘nice’ club. I’ve always got the impression we are perceived as a nice club/sleeping giant. This is a stigma that is difficult to shake and I’m sure when Sheffield United and Bristol City showed interest in Reda Khadra in the summer, Brighton and the player both thought Sheffield United were the better option based on pedigree and potential player growth. That isn’t the first time that has happened and won’t be the last and implications mean we are probably 2/3rd choice. How do you shift this perception? 

Mark Ashton to finally leave the club in 2026 - we’ll finally see the back of Ashton when the £38m and £28m losses roll off in 4 years time. Given that money talks in this game and we are probably very close to FFP, how do we compete in this league with free transfers? 

Its easy to get fixated on the Tuesday/Saturday result and why NP signed Sykes/King etc. In my mind they are consequences/implications of the above. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Beni71 said:

Was always going to be a tough listen given the result.

A few points for future discussion and they are deeper questions and move away from the emotion of results but delve into the ‘why’ of where we are 

Lack of top flight football - why? It’s not for the want of trying or even money, given what Ashton/LJ spent on players. 14 years since we finished in the top 6 and never got close since. Are we a serial underperformer or is this our level?

Being Bristol City - NP has referenced more than once we are ‘nice’ club. I’ve always got the impression we are perceived as a nice club/sleeping giant. This is a stigma that is difficult to shake and I’m sure when Sheffield United and Bristol City showed interest in Reda Khadra in the summer, Brighton and the player both thought Sheffield United were the better option based on pedigree and potential player growth. That isn’t the first time that has happened and won’t be the last and implications mean we are probably 2/3rd choice. How do you shift this perception? 

Mark Ashton to finally leave the club in 2026 - we’ll finally see the back of Ashton when the £38m and £28m losses roll off in 4 years time. Given that money talks in this game and we are probably very close to FFP, how do we compete in this league with free transfers? 

Its easy to get fixated on the Tuesday/Saturday result and why NP signed Sykes/King etc. In my mind they are consequences/implications of the above. 

Absolutely right and it’s something that is frustrating when Pearson’s recruitment is discussed. Out of the players he has signed , Atkinson and Tanner have cost a fee , Wilson will be some form of compensation. I’m not sure about Bajic if we paid anything for him. Sykes, Klose, James, King & Naismith are all free transfers and whilst there is costs involved will be significantly low in comparison to a player where a fee is involved. We’re cutting our cloth accordingly with free transfers on experienced pros and punts on lower league players and with the later it’s bound to take them time to get used to championship football, you only need to watch a league one : two game to see the guff in class. 

The perception of players coming in on loan for me is you almost have to guarantee the player roll start a set % of games, you also have a player inevitably on higher wage than our players. We’ve been bitten before by these type of terms but ultimately I guess these players want to be playing at a club competing at the top of the league and not the bottom. 

It’s simple we simply have to stay up this year, whether by points or GD it doesn’t matter , financially relegation will be a disaster. The issues at the club are much bigger than Ashton, Johnson or Pearson and is still at the club. We were disproved as naive , able to be bullied under Johnson and yet two managers later the same is said now- it’s the culture of the club, Johnson snr and Cotts changed it for a period.

I honestly think we’ll see a new manager in place before we play Rotherham , not saying I agree with that but I think the club will react and with the four week break will use that as an opportunity to bring a new guy in

• Like 3

2 hours ago, daored said:

Absolutely right and it’s something that is frustrating when Pearson’s recruitment is discussed. Out of the players he has signed , Atkinson and Tanner have cost a fee , Wilson will be some form of compensation. I’m not sure about Bajic if we paid anything for him. Sykes, Klose, James, King & Naismith are all free transfers and whilst there is costs involved will be significantly low in comparison to a player where a fee is involved. We’re cutting our cloth accordingly with free transfers on experienced pros and punts on lower league players and with the later it’s bound to take them time to get used to championship football, you only need to watch a league one : two game to see the guff in class. 

The perception of players coming in on loan for me is you almost have to guarantee the player roll start a set % of games, you also have a player inevitably on higher wage than our players. We’ve been bitten before by these type of terms but ultimately I guess these players want to be playing at a club competing at the top of the league and not the bottom. 

It’s simple we simply have to stay up this year, whether by points or GD it doesn’t matter , financially relegation will be a disaster. The issues at the club are much bigger than Ashton, Johnson or Pearson and is still at the club. We were disproved as naive , able to be bullied under Johnson and yet two managers later the same is said now- it’s the culture of the club, Johnson snr and Cotts changed it for a period.

I honestly think we’ll see a new manager in place before we play Rotherham , not saying I agree with that but I think the club will react and with the four week break will use that as an opportunity to bring a new guy in

I agree that it would be a financial disaster if the club ended in league1.

If a change is made it does need to be clearly thought through and fan base would need to understand there is no Sean Dyche/Steven Gerrard coming over the hill on a stallion to save the day.

If we do make a change I anticipate it will be more of a coach and probably a low key/unknown. I’m sure our fan base will be accepting of the decision and understand that the new coach/manager will be working with the same personnel and no fans will throw their toys out the pram when we concede from a cross in their first game.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, daored said:

Assuming we have the vast majority of our core players available for most of the rest of the season, then I see no reason for us to be relegated.  Under that proviso, if we did get relegated then I would lay blame at Nige’s feet and he’d have to go.

But we are suffering at the mo’ from a couple of injuries to key players, just come through a bout of illness and are on a poor run.

Before illness started to hit our small squad we’d won 2 from 4, we are now 2 draws from 4. (League)

With a core of (this is not a line-up / 11 just a list of key players):

O’Leary (well done Max)

Vyner (well done Zak), Kalas, Naismith, Atkinson

Scott, James, Williams

Weimann, Wells, Conway

Available most weeks, we ought to be fine.

Supplement that with a back-to-form Semenyo making a difference would be a help too.

You’ll notice I’ve not got any WBs, because I don’t think any of them are crucial to how we perform, they don’t influence others, so they aren’t key to me.  Pring might become core, but he isn’t yet.

As it stands we’ve missed Kalas virtually all season, Naismith for 8 league games, James 9.  I’ve not included the odd game or two missed by others because that is expected through the run of the season.

Until we get something like the players listed above back in the team, Nige / the team are gonna struggle.  Imho it’s futile saying we have a good squad…we don’t!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

O’Leary (well done Max)

Scott, James, Williams

Weimann, Wells, Conway

Looks a decent line up.

I'd be minded to put Naismith in the middle at the expense of Williams which would allow Atkinson to move across one space and accommodate Pring.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Assuming we have the vast majority of our core players available for most of the rest of the season, then I see no reason for us to be relegated.  Under that proviso, if we did get relegated then I would lay blame at Nige’s feet and he’d have to go.

But we are suffering at the mo’ from a couple of injuries to key players, just come through a bout of illness and are on a poor run.

Before illness started to hit our small squad we’d won 2 from 4, we are now 2 draws from 4. (League)

With a core of (this is not a line-up / 11 just a list of key players):

O’Leary (well done Max)

Scott, James, Williams

Weimann, Wells, Conway

Available most weeks, we ought to be fine.

Supplement that with a back-to-form Semenyo making a difference would be a help too.

You’ll notice I’ve not got any WBs, because I don’t think any of them are crucial to how we perform, they don’t influence others, so they aren’t key to me.  Pring might become core, but he isn’t yet.

As it stands we’ve missed Kalas virtually all season, Naismith for 8 league games, James 9.  I’ve not included the odd game or two missed by others because that is expected through the run of the season.

Until we get something like the players listed above back in the team, Nige / the team are gonna struggle.  Imho it’s futile saying we have a good squad…we don’t!

Exactly.

Nigel’s ‘I prefer a smaller squad’ is/was a smoke screen to cover up the inadequacies he new would appear as soon as injuries which are inevitable in the Championship started to kick in.

Did he operate with a small squad at Leicester or Watford? I bet he didn’t.

He has had to utilise the youngster’s, many of whom if not all, would possibly have made the subs bench purely for experience, Towler, Low, Pearson, Kadji etc are not yet Championship standard, they may well be in the future but that remains to be seen.

Scott is the standout youngster, the like of which hasn’t been seen at AG for a very long time, if ever, and putting any of the others in the same class (perhaps Conway apart) is nonsense.

Until the big earners move on and are replaced with experienced cheaper replacements and more of them we will continue to struggle when injuries hit.

You won’t win anything with youngsters, you might even get relegated.

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Looks a decent line up.

I'd be minded to put Naismith in the middle at the expense of Williams which would allow Atkinson to move across one space and accommodate Pring.

As I said in my post, it wasn’t a line-up, formation, just a list of players…no assumptions re positions, system etc.

34 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Dave P is a very likeable guy but his football knowledge is limited at times. That Keinan Davis conversation in the latest pod was proper humour 

Dave has never claimed to be anything other than a passionate city fan. It was a pity only Ian 'I don't go on there, why would I care about what they say about me?' Gay was available to review Tuesday's game, but I can guarantee you that I got more enjoyment from the pod than I did from the game. And it was £12 cheapeer.

Remember, Dave had to host as well as participate fully, neither of which would have been easy in the circumstances. Hopefully @Curr Avon at least will be back on saturday to take some of Bristol Boy's verbals, and leave Dave to concentrate on asking the questions a bit more.

• Thanks 1