IGNORED

Potential new signing?

HappyClapper

5 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Thought he might of made the England squad

Bad run of form at the wrong time was the reason given, which is fair enough. 

He then however, continues to pick Harry Maguire who isn't even a first choice starter at his club recently!

:facepalm:

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Taz said:

He then however, continues to pick Harry Maguire who isn't even a first choice starter at his club recently!

I'm sure Southgate would argue at least he's not in bad form!!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Difference is Maguire has played in 2 tournaments whereas Abraham has not.

If that's a qualification, we may as well have taken Phil Jagielka.

Form comes and goes in sportsmen, and it should be any manager's first thought when selecting a side. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

If that's a qualification, we may as well have taken Phil Jagielka.

Form comes and goes in sportsmen, and it should be any manager's first thought when selecting a side. 

No equivalence at all. Jagielka has experience of a massive failure at a tournament. Maguire has been to 2 where we got to the semis then the final.

Form is part of the consideration not 100% of it

4 minutes ago, The Bard said:

No equivalence at all. Jagielka has experience of a massive failure at a tournament. Maguire has been to 2 where we got to the semis then the final.

Form is part of the consideration not 100% of it

And I would suggest Maguire's form, which is so bad he's only started three games of league football this season, is the principal reason why he shouldn't be picking up a place in the squad. He's also very likely carrying the effects of a recent hamstring injury. And don't get me started on Kalvin Phillips.

What they've done in the past, when they were younger, under different circumstances, and with different choices available to the manager, is not as relevant as what they are doing now. 

5 hours ago, Taz said:

The thing with Maguire is he fits into how Southgate wants his defence to set up and play and there is loyalty and he does have experience of world cup semi and European final   so I can see why he going 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

And I would suggest Maguire's form, which is so bad he's only started three games of league football this season, is the principal reason why he shouldn't be picking up a place in the squad. He's also very likely carrying the effects of a recent hamstring injury. And don't get me started on Kalvin Phillips.

What they've done in the past, when they were younger, under different circumstances, and with different choices available to the manager, is not as relevant as what they are doing now. 

The saving grace for Maguire is that he has been exceptional in England tournament football where a completely style is played.

For United he is expected to play a high line with little protection in front of him, which exposes his weaknesses. For England he plays deeper so doesn’t get caught behind and has Rice sitting in front of him. 

Plus he has done a lot more on an international stage than Abraham where there was nothing between him, Wilson and Toney really.

12 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

The saving grace for Maguire is that he has been exceptional in England tournament football where a completely style is played.

For United he is expected to play a high line with little protection in front of him, which exposes his weaknesses. For England he plays deeper so doesn’t get caught behind and has Rice sitting in front of him. 

Plus he has done a lot more on an international stage than Abraham where there was nothing between him, Wilson and Toney really.

I accept what you say, but at any rate it won't be long now before we see whether the policy of picking players who did it in the past will be better than a policy of picking players who might do it in the present. 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I accept what you say, but at any rate it won't be long now before we see whether the policy of picking players who did it in the past will be better than a policy of picking players who might do it in the present. 

I agree with you entirely that Phillips was bizarre. I could just understand the Maguire one more as he may only be considered a squad player anyway. I would like to see White as one of the centre halves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

I agree with you entirely that Phillips was bizarre. I could just understand the Maguire one more as he may only be considered a squad player anyway. I would like to see White as one of the centre halves.

That's Ben White of Arsenal? Who has played every game he's played this season at right back!