IGNORED

Arctic Monkeys new album

Rob k

It's a decent album imo, a few good/nice tracks. Body Paint is very Bowie-esque, a strong song.

Problem is, just like the last album, it's not Arctic Monkeys is it? It's a side project, or something else, it's just not what we associate with AM. And in terms of being 'different', the previous one was a much better album imo, particularly if you listen back now.

Seeing them live will still be fine. There will be a few from the new album no doubt, but they still play the bangers.

10 hours ago, nebristolred said:

It's a decent album imo, a few good/nice tracks. Body Paint is very Bowie-esque, a strong song.

Problem is, just like the last album, it's not Arctic Monkeys is it? It's a side project, or something else, it's just not what we associate with AM. And in terms of being 'different', the previous one was a much better album imo, particularly if you listen back now.

Seeing them live will still be fine. There will be a few from the new album no doubt, but they still play the bangers.

I heard Body Paint on the radio last week, it was ok. Probably a grower.

16 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Yeah, I've got no issue with a band changing their style and sound, if done effectively. Plenty of bands have done this over the years to great effect. 

This sound just does not suit the band at all, and I'm afraid I just can't take Alex Turner seriously as a frontman anymore with this crooner style. I've tried getting into the last couple of albums but don't feel engaged.

I'm surprised they're persisting with it, as it's been a commercial disaster for them in terms of album sales. AM sold about 2.7 million copies, the last album 100,000. I assume they make most money from concerts these days, but still, it clearly hasn't proved to be a popular change of direction with fans. 

On 06/11/2022 at 22:53, nebristolred said:

I think the key is, it might not be what people associate with AM, but it’s what AM are now. They made “Dancefloor” a lifetime ago, and the “AM” album with stuff like “Do I wanna know” had no real relation to that. This is just another phase. Humbug was miles away from WPSAITWIN and it’s only two albums removed. 

What I like about AM is that they don’t stand still. It’d frankly be boring if every album was a facsimile of Whatever People Say I Am, and they’re well off enough now that they go where they want to and don’t have to worry too much about sales. I think you’re right with your comment over a side project - both “The Car” and “TBHAC” are very Last Shadow Puppets to me. I really did like the latter - “The Car” I very much like four songs at the moment (Body Paint, Hello You, I ain’t quite where I think I am and Mirrorball) but I do think it suffers from a lack of real “differentiation” between songs - it just feels like one long session at the moment.

Seeing them live again will be good. They’re playing some of the really good lesser known tracks (That’s Where You’re Wrong) currently as well. 

• Like 1

On 07/11/2022 at 15:27, Kid in the Riot said:

Yeah, I've got no issue with a band changing their style and sound, if done effectively. Plenty of bands have done this over the years to great effect. 

This sound just does not suit the band at all, and I'm afraid I just can't take Alex Turner seriously as a frontman anymore with this crooner style. I've tried getting into the last couple of albums but don't feel engaged.

I'm surprised they're persisting with it, as it's been a commercial disaster for them in terms of album sales. AM sold about 2.7 million copies, the last album 100,000. I assume they make most money from concerts these days, but still, it clearly hasn't proved to be a popular change of direction with fans. 

It's interesting when you think about it. Some fans accept and embrace the new style and other fall by the wayside or come back and enjoy it again later, maybe when they've changed again.
Bowie, I didn't like the 'thin white Duke period ( I actually appreciate it now) but loved the later stuff. Weller & Style Council didn't do it for me ( again I love it now). Then there's Radiohead, up to OK Computer, loved them, don't get or enjoy anything since. Artic Monkeys are similar, loved the early stuff, but this incarnation leave me cold.

I think I'm more upset about not getting a ticket for the whole line up, rather than specifically the AM.