IGNORED

Player of the First Half of the Season

And Its Smith

Player of the Half Season  

321 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's crazy because 18 months ago I would genuinely have been quite happy if Vyner and Wells never played for us again - and I'm happy to admit that. I thought Vyner had had more than enough chances, never looked that good, and wouldn't up his game enough. I always disputed Wells goalscoring, as most people were saying he was the "fox in the box" type who just need service.

Wow was I wrong on both, it was between the two of them for me. So glad to be wrong. Picked Vyner in the end, I can't believe the improvement he's made this season and he deserves credit not just for the technical improvement, but also his attitude - it must have been so hard mentally to be relied on as he has after his time at the club so far. Wells has shown to be a far more intelligent footballer than I gave him credit for.

TC was probably the least expected one for me, and obviously him and Scott are far more exciting to watch, but I just can't overlook what Vyner has overcome this season. Delicious humble pie.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 7
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He probably hasn't played enough to be ahead of the lads on that list, but I'd give an honourable mention to Matty James. You only have to look at the difference in performance between when he's there and when he isn't.

Completely agree. He’s such an important player.  Left him off as he hasn’t played that many games to be considered I reckon, like you say. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

It's crazy because 18 months ago I would genuinely have been quite happy if Vyner and Wells never played for us again - and I'm happy to admit that. I thought Vyner had had more than enough chances, never looked that good, and wouldn't up his game enough. I always disputed Wells goalscoring, as most people were saying he was the "fox in the box" type who just need service.

Wow was I wrong on both, it was between the two of them for me. So glad to be wrong. Picked Vyner in the end, I can't believe the improvement he's made this season and he deserves credit not just for the technical improvement, but also his attitude - it must have been so hard mentally to be relied on as he has after his time at the club so far. Wells has shown to be a far more intelligent footballer than I gave him credit for.

TC was probably the least expected one for me, and obviously him and Scott are far more exciting to watch, but I just can't overlook what Vyner has overcome this season. Delicious humble pie.

zac got mine too,taken on a much larger slice of responsibility, and coping very well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

For a chap with his role in the team, Scott hasn't scored or assisted enough to be our best player, as fantastic a talent as is he.

Wells for me, great attitude and affecting games positively

I think if I generalise and say we have played predominantly 3412 counter-attacking, it’s a system with a huge emphasis on those front 3 players to get the goals in open play…it’s them busting to catch teams on the break.

I think if we play more like today’s system, we might see other players in better positions, 3rd man runs, etc, and some of the goals starting to be distributed amongst other players.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

For a chap with his role in the team, Scott hasn't scored or assisted enough to be our best player, as fantastic a talent as is he.

Wells for me, great attitude and affecting games positively

Agree somewhat. But he doesn’t get credited with a stat for the likes of Blackburn away when he was so key to a goal 

Wells is our best player imo. Top scorer for us in the league. The way he can hold the ball up or challenge cbs in the air or bother their defensive headers is key. Think when Tammy played with Wilbraham at the start of that season. Think Wells could be that figure for Conway. 

Conway probably second. Doesn’t need much explaining. He is better than I thought he was at the start of the season and I thought he was good from his cameos. 

I’d put Scott 3rd. He is so talented I want to see more from him but still so young. He lets everything come to him. I want to see him impose himself a bit more. He has done it at times but he can do more. Like to see him grow even more. 

Vyner 4th for me. Been available all season. Played all league games? Every 5 games he looks a level higher. Not sure you can just put Kalas back in there now and that is a big statement. 

Atkinson would have been 4th but missed a few games and now left out today. Still scored some massive goals for us. Love when he brings the ball out and up the pitch. Solid defender and can see still getting better. 

Those would be my 5 as have all been pretty regular and reliable players. On a separate note, can we please get a song for Vyner going? Talking about him in our top 5 players and never a song for him. O’Leary has had one. Thatchers gold has one. Weimann had one today after he handled the ball ? Academy lad, been through lots of rough spells and persevered. Get him a song!

• Like 1

If the question was most improved, Vyner would win hands down. But I can’t have him as POTY at the halfway stage.

If anyone from the defence deserves it, and that’s a different debate, it should be Atkinson IMO. Conway, Wells and James have all been key players so far. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tin said:

If the question was most improved, Vyner would win hands down. But I can’t have him as POTY at the halfway stage.

If anyone from the defence deserves it, and that’s a different debate, it should be Atkinson IMO. Conway, Wells and James have all been key players so far. 

You can see the difference in the side when James plays. However, he has missed roughly half the games this season. Can’t really consider him imo because of that. 

49 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

You can see the difference in the side when James plays. However, he has missed roughly half the games this season. Can’t really consider him imo because of that. 

I’m not saying he should be considered; I’m saying he — and the others named — are absolutely key to the positive performances we’ve had. Take one of a few of them out of the starting XI and things usually fall apart. That shows how little strength in depth we have. 

Vyner has had some sticky moments, I think he's been ok mostly and very good lately.
Scott on his day is brilliant and great to watch, but he had a dip in form a few games ago, which is fair enough and almost expected.
Wells with his energy, link play and movement has made a big difference to the team and TC.
I'm a big fan of Atkinson, not just a stopper defender, but brings the ball out, breaks lines and can see a pass. Needs to shoot more :thumbsup:
But for me, Tommy Conway has been a revelation. Not just his goals, which have been a real plus in his first run in the first team, but his all round game. I've said before, in the U21s he showed got touch and movement along with goals, but you never know how they will go with the step up. His movement, enthusiasm, energy and intelligence has shone out. I really hope he can continue and maybe even improve again when they come back.

• Like 2

Going into the beak, it's difficult to peck a winner, I could get into a bit of a flap about it, but in the end, it's a feather-in-the-cap for Tommy C. 

As others have said, it's rare for a young player to immediately adapt so well to the physicality of the First XI game and fit in so well. 

Personally, I'd have left him on yesterday. 

If the second half of the season follows the same pattern as the first I’d like to see Vyner get player of the year and Conway get young player of the year.

I personally think Vyner deserves it more for the turn around and the attitude he’s shown when it looked like he was going to be out the door in the summer. TC has been great though and there would be no complaints if he got it. All of the above have been very solid this season tbf to them! 

• Like 1

I went for Wells, I just think the attitude he’s had ( never bought into the bad attitude jibes he once had, more frustrated player imo ), the effect he’s had on other players around him & obviously the performances on top of that. We look better when he’s in the team. Conway would be young player of the year ( half year! ). COYR