IGNORED

Hamza Choudhury

OliOTIB

Footballs competitive and emotional. He’s not Christian Ericsson it was an injury. Crowd intimidation and winding up the opposition is part of being the 12th man. Sometimes it back fires like Luton when Tom Lockyer took great joy it celebrating all down the Dolman after getting abuse all game. It’s football let’s not turn it into righteous indignation nobody really wanted him to die 

I wasn’t there today but just reading some of these comments. I’m 38 so didn’t see the City in the 70s and 80s, I imagine back then  when someone was injured from the opposition the post-match chat wouldn’t have been about whether the fans were empathetic enough! Even in the 90s it wasn’t. When I ruptured my ACL I crawled off the pitch with zero interest let alone empathy from the opposition 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

I wasn’t there today but just reading some of these comments. I’m 38 so didn’t see the City in the 70s and 80s, I imagine back then  when someone was injured from the opposition the post-match chat wouldn’t have been about whether the fans were empathetic enough! Even in the 90s it wasn’t. When I ruptured my ACL I crawled off the pitch with zero interest let alone empathy from the opposition 

You are wrong. Even in the 70s and 80s at the height of football hooliganism, when an opposition player was clearly badly injured and stretchered off they would not have been abused and might even have got a clap. It shows a real lack of class to abuse a badly injured player.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

If he had gone down holding his injury, he would not have got the abuse.

It was the constant slamming of his hands on the ground (like a 5 year old having a tantrum), which generated the abuse. 

The player was also having a go at the ref (while still on the floor), for not stopping the game. As it was not a head injury, the ref quite rightly played on.

He was going crazy at his own medical team, could audibly hear him say “I ******* told you it wasn’t right” - seems he was signalling for a while that he wanted to come off 

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

It was the constant slamming of his hands on the ground (like a 5 year old having a tantrum), which generated the abuse. 

The player was also having a go at the ref (while still on the floor), for not stopping the game. As it was not a head injury, the ref quite rightly played on.

Have you any idea how painful a ruptured Achilles is, or more importantly how long it takes to heel? 

He’d have known instantly it’s a serious injury and you’re wrong - it’s not only head injuries the ref stops for.

Edited: seems it was the medical team he was angry at.

Edited by MarcusX

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

This is the question,do we want to make Ashton gate a horrible place to come or not

To be honest, no not really.

It should be a place teams fear due to our ability, that would be nice!

But it’s not the 80s any more. Kids and families come to football, it shouldn’t be “horrible” or intimidating, IMO.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

23 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

To be honest, no not really.

It should be a place teams fear due to our ability, that would be nice!

But it’s not the 80s any more. Kids and families come to football, it shouldn’t be “horrible” or intimidating, IMO.

I get people want a happy clapping ground with no swearing but there is a family section for kids,as for the 80s comments I wasn’t suggesting chucking darts or bricks which is what happened back then 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

You are wrong. Even in the 70s and 80s at the height of football hooliganism, when an opposition player was clearly badly injured and stretchered off they would not have been abused and might even have got a clap. It shows a real lack of class to abuse a badly injured player.

I think Stan Bowles may disagree with you 

Personally , I think when you recognise it’s a serious injury , it’s cringeworthy when that’s not responded to appropriately

And ,   A ruptured Achilles is hideously painful 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

This season at Ashton Gate has been the worst I've seen it for time wasting. We've had players feign seriously injury to then jump straight up.

So how this guy acted today, just seemed like he was having a tantrum because the ref wouldn't blow up and allow him to time waste. That's how it seemed. The way he went down didn't suggest he had suffered a serious injury. Just seemed like an attempt to time waste. 

Why didn't his teams medical staff run around the side of the pitch so they were there? 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Chrizzler said:

I think people chanting “let him die”  while a stretcher is being brought out to a player who is obviously seriously injured is a disgrace & quite frankly embarrassing. 

Completely agree. Standing ovation required and black armbands worn first game back after the World Cup.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

Don’t know specifics but think he was unhappy with the abuse Gosling was getting when clearly seriously injured.

Think he’s ruptured his Achilles seriously by the sound of things.

Didn’t see the exchange but I’ve heard a few story’s of players doing their Achilles & how it feels like someone’s fouled them.
Right in front of me & I saw him go down & thought it was serious . Dan gosling I think who’s had plenty of injury problems . As someone who did his ACL  just playing local football , I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Simon79 said:

Lack of class shown towards the injured player. No excuses, don’t care if he’s slamming his hand on the ground or whatever.  Shame really, as I thought the crowd were generally good today, especially the second half. COYR 

Yep spot on. Second time this week that S82 have badly let themselves down. It’s all getting a bit embarrassing with some of this mob now. Showing themselves to be nothing more than a bunch of immature kids. Classless behaviour.

Edited by Cardy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Globe Trotter said:

You are so wrong. Banter is great but when a player is badly injured you don’t take the piss. A bit like when one of your own is on debut having a mare. Classless behaviour. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This season at Ashton Gate has been the worst I've seen it for time wasting. We've had players feign seriously injury to then jump straight up.

So how this guy acted today, just seemed like he was having a tantrum because the ref wouldn't blow up and allow him to time waste. That's how it seemed. The way he went down didn't suggest he had suffered a serious injury. Just seemed like an attempt to time waste. 

Why didn't his teams medical staff run around the side of the pitch so they were there? 

He knew it was bad. Vyner even signalled their bench to get on after the whistle blew. They called for stretcher straight away. It was bad yet the majority gave him abuse. It didn’t sit well with me. I clapped him off as did a few. 

I think Choudury is allowed to not be happy. He spends almost everyday with his team. To see his mate go off with a potentially career ending injury(he is well into his 30s with bad injuries on his cv already) was probably enough to be on edge already. 

• Like 3

Football is often like going to the pantomime in terms of crowd reaction.  Gosling did at the time seem to be over reacting as he’d gone down without a challenge. Those who’d bothered to attend the mid week games against Sheffield United and Coventry City would have seen the constant faked injuries by Gosling’s fellow professionals to waste time. So while not at all nice for Gosling the reaction was brought on by what City fans have had to endure from his colleagues in recent weeks. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, redapple said:

Football is often like going to the pantomime in terms of crowd reaction.  Gosling did at the time seem to be over reacting as he’d gone down without a challenge. Those who’d bothered to attend the mid week games against Sheffield United and Coventry City would have seen the constant faked injuries by Gosling’s fellow professionals to waste time. So while not at all nice for Gosling the reaction was brought on by what City fans have had to endure from his colleagues in recent weeks. 

That makes sense for the initial reaction (esp. as City were attacking when he went down) but it continuing past it being clear the player was actually injured stops it making any sense as a decent justification.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

He was giving as good as he got which was fair play to him,let’s not take the fun out of football 

Correct. Choudhury was laughing as he made his 'fat gut' gesture to "Big Rob".  It was just a bit of a joke all round.

Would've been confusing if Massengo had come on with both of them having the same songs, and imagine if there had been a clash of heads? It would be like trying to prise Velcro apart.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, redapple said:

There’s nothing there that excuses it in my eyes.

1. Watford weren’t time wasting. They felt they could snatch the three points just as much as we did. Of the two keepers. Max was notably the slower to take goal kicks for example.

2. If you want to play act to break up/stop the game you go down clutching your head, not your leg.

3. If Watford wanted to waste time they could very easily have dragged it all out a whole lot longer. They were very quick to get him on the stretcher and off the pitch.

4. Anyone who bothered to have a look could see that this wasn’t play acting.  The reaction of the player himself. The reaction of Watford players, some of whom were very clearly upset. The reaction of the City players: it was Vyner who called for the stretcher. It wasn’t hard.

5. And yet despite all that, even if you were so blind/stupid that you missed all that - booing while he’s stretchered off.

The reaction from that section of our fans was every bit as embarrasing and pathetic in its own way as the play acting from the likes of Sheff U players. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

What about if 'Big Rob' had happened to mention that Choudhury is of Asian descent? That's not fun and games but apparently being abused for weight is?

Did that actually happen?

If it didn't, This is a pretty sensationalist and pointlessly provocative comment... I didn't realise my mother in law was posting on otib! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many City fans yesterday who were very unhappy at yet another time wasting non injury, should not be vilified.

The blame lies entirely with the players who are collapsing in a heap when hit by a falling feather from a passing seagull. Three or four minutes later, of which the ref may add 30 seconds at end of game, the player is still on the field without any sign of major injury.

If players only lay down when really injured, we may all have a bit more respect and sympathy with them.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

I think Stan Bowles may disagree with you 

Personally , I think when you recognise it’s a serious injury , it’s cringeworthy when that’s not responded to appropriately

And ,   A ruptured Achilles is hideously painful 

Remember The Stanley Where’s your Wife Gone game very well. 

it was hit and miss to a crowd reaction in the 60/70/80s when a player was stretchered off. If in general terms he was a very good player ala Bowles or a near rival player then bring on the dustbin chant and various abusive behaviors were the norm AND Expected. That was everywhere

As much as some like to think that stuff doesn’t still happen, the chants about Hillsborough The Ibrox disaster Munich etc still go on. Lizzie’s in a box a few weeks ago with banners at one club, who apparently have the right to sing shit about dead soldiers etc are still common place. Few of the supporters at those clubs would be expected to give polite rounds of applause to injured players on a weekly basis  

Unfortunately this shit still goes on and goes unchecked and frankly doesn’t bare much analysis anymore. 

44 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Remember The Stanley Where’s your Wife Gone game very well. 

it was hit and miss to a crowd reaction in the 60/70/80s when a player was stretchered off. If in general terms he was a very good player ala Bowles or a near rival player then bring on the dustbin chant and various abusive behaviors were the norm AND Expected. That was everywhere

As much as some like to think that stuff doesn’t still happen, the chants about Hillsborough The Ibrox disaster Munich etc still go on. Lizzie’s in a box a few weeks ago with banners at one club, who apparently have the right to sing shit about dead soldiers etc are still common place. Few of the supporters at those clubs would be expected to give polite rounds of applause to injured players on a weekly basis  

Unfortunately this shit still goes on and goes unchecked and frankly doesn’t bare much analysis anymore. 

I was referring to when he broke his leg at AG , and recounts how as he was taken away on a stretcher a City fan said ‘Hope you die you ****’

19 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

If he ruptured his Achilles or done anything close it then completely an understandable action.  Obviously in pain and wanted urgent medical attention.  Absolutely embarrassing response from our supporters giving abuse to someone clearly badly hurt.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

He went down in agony because he couldn't stand as his achilles had snapped. Extremely painful and that's why he was writhing around in agony. Whilst his first pleading was toward the ref to inform his serious injury thereafter it was all directed at his bench.

Perhaps you'd be so kind as to issue guidance to players as to how players should react to specific injuries? I'm uncertain how many players are able to contort themselves to quietly hold a snapped achilles? Few I reckon. I'm less certain players in agony give any consideration as to how to act to appease F'wits in the stands. Nor ever should they.

The ref played on as that was his judgement. In this case he was right, but there are numerous 'non head' related injuries that require urgent attention and 'head' must never be used as sole consideration as to whether or not to suspend play. 

• Like 5