IGNORED

U21s - PL Cup - Newcastle Utd (h)

Davefevs

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I find it odd that we make the under 21s play one formation just because the first team play that. Pearson has said he isn’t a fan of the formation but is playing it as it suits the players. Does it suit the under 21s as well coincidentally? Our young centre backs are getting no experience of playing in a two.    I will caveat that I find it odd by saying that people who know far more about football than me and everyone else on this forum have made the decision, would just like to understand it a bit more 

The players in this 21’s team will have played many different shapes over the last year or two. Before this directive there was no defined shape the team had to play and was very much picked as what is the best shape to suit the players available for the next game, rather than even having a preference for back 3/4, that’s how flexible academy teams have to be, it’s not necessarily just a case of ‘call up the next u18 in that position’, before it used to be ‘does a different shape work better with the players available’. So they’ve had plenty of experience in a wide range of shapes. 

• Like 2

San Bell always looked tentative to me in the first team. He’s lacked conviction.
There was another classic example at Boro where he had the chance to play in Wells or drive on in the box and have a shot. It was one of our few dangerous attacking moves in the second half. He under hit his forward pass and we lost a great attacking position. 

But he also showed a beautiful touch when he killed a high ball on the left touchline. He was then cynically fouled as he ran towards the box. (We, inevitably, made absolutely nothing of the free kick.) That moment showed he, perhaps, does have what it takes.

I hope he can find some belief when he steps up. To me, he’s not looked ready. But youngsters can make big leaps in a short space of time. 

• Hmmm 1