IGNORED

Lee Johnson

6 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

LJ wasn’t the best or the worst player to wear the shirt. 
He also wasn’t the best or the worst manager we have had at BS3. 
He tried his best in both roles. 

Thats my opinion. 

Have any other managers gave us better football to watch circ aug17 to jan18 period.... Gj possibly so come on all the lj bully boys lets hear your side....... 

On 08/08/2023 at 10:55, IAmNick said:

Lee was injured at the end of that 07/08 season, but he still played in 3 of the last 8 games. 3 of the 5 we lost were also against Wolves, Stoke, and Sheff Utd who were all either in or around the top 6 (or 2 in Stoke's case) - tough games at the end of the season. I think it's too simplistic and too few games to point to Lee being in or out of the team as meaningful there.

The Adebola thing - yes our style changed when he signed... and we were extremely effective as a result. After he signed on Jan 30th, we only lost once in the next 10 games, ending W 4, D 5, L1. Not exactly a disasterous change of style then? I liked Adebola and thought people unfairly had little patience with him on here.

Lee was as divisive then as he is now, if not more so. I've never heard cheering at our own sub before as I have when he was taken off once - which was quite unfair on him. It wasn't his fault he was picked, or that his dad was the manager.

My view is that he always tried, but was a pretty limited footballer. He drove me mad with his tiny dinks to nobody from free kicks, not putting a tackle in, and slow recycling of possession. I didn't like him at all - but I do accept he was a reasonable and quite important player for us at that time, albeit one I thought was also limiting us as a team big time.

I didn't find him enjoyable or exciting to watch, but that said I also don't hate him and I don't want him to fail as a manager... although it is slightly entertaining for some reason, I'll admit.

I remember the AG crowd booed when Russell Osman scored for us once

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Have any other managers gave us better football to watch circ aug17 to jan18 period.... Gj possibly so come on all the lj bully boys let’s hear your side....... 

They hate Johnson/Ashton and blame finances despite the money Johnson earned from his coaching and team selection on Kelly ,Brownhill, Bryan , Webster ,Flint,Kodjia and completely ignore the fact we had a world wide unforeseen Pandemic closing down the world affecting the finances of every business!

I haven’t seen such irrational hatred since Donald Trump

it all stems from the boo boys in his playing days when we’re top 2 in the championship, if you ask them why they dislike him they will lie or give you no answer and call you an idiot, just like Donald ?

Edited by Fred89
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

12 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

They hate Johnson/Ashton and blame finances despite the money Johnson earned from his coaching and team selection on Kelly ,Brownhill, Bryan , Webster ,Flint,Kodjia and completely ignore the fact we had a world wide unforeseen Pandemic closing down the world affecting the finances of every business!

it all stems from the boo boys in his playing days when we’re top 2 in the championship, if you ask them why they dislike him they will lie or give you no answer and call you an idiot, just like Donald ?

What on earth are you talking about, what a bizarre post.

There have been lots of valid reasons in this thread both to like and dislike aspects of both Lee's playing and managing time here if you actually cared to read.

The Trump thing? No idea what you're even on about there. If you want some reasons people dislike him then feel free to drop me a pm or post on the relevant thread in the politics bit rather than bring it here.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

LJ was out of his depth. A league one/two manager in England, should never have gotten the job in the first place 

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

What on earth are you talking about, what a bizarre post.

There have been lots of valid reasons in this thread both to like and dislike aspects of both Lee's playing and managing time here if you actually cared to read.

The Trump thing? No idea what you're even on about there. If you want some reasons people dislike him then feel free to drop me a pm or post on the relevant thread in the politics bit rather than bring it here.

I think the basic point about the boo boys and an irrational hatred dating back to his playing days is pretty accurate, to be fair.

Not quite sure about the Trump comment! What does it even mean?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChrisBW said:

LJ was out of his depth. A league one/two manager in England, should never have gotten the job in the first place 

He's never even managed league 2 though!

He's done championship and league 1, getting decent if unspectacular finishes consistently in both. That's his level from the evidence.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

Not irrational hatred from me , I just think he comes across as a complete ?️ end and a blagger 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

He's never even managed league 2 though!

He's done championship and league 1, getting decent if unspectacular finishes consistently in both. That's his level from the evidence.

He also holds the record for most consecutive defeats at Barnsley and city, he also doubled our wage bill for good measure.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

Thank you Lee. Or is it Gary, Uncle Pete, Steve or Mark? Talk us through why Lee was sacked and why our current manager has had to spend 2 years treading water because our wages and business model weren't fit for purpose? 

That's rhetorical btw, please don't.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

He also holds the record for most consecutive defeats at Barnsley and city, he also doubled our wage bill for good measure.

Sure, and those are negative factors to his tenure. There are positives, and negatives. He wasn't brilliant, he wasn't awful or league 2 so to say he was either just shows you have some weird positive/negative bias you can't look past imo.

As I said earlier in the thread, I didn't particular rate him as a player or a manager, but that doesn't mean I think he was garbage or league 2 level.

6 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Sure, and those are negative factors to his tenure. There are positives, and negatives. He wasn't brilliant, he wasn't awful or league 2 so to say he was either just shows you have some weird positive/negative bias you can't look past imo.

As I said earlier in the thread, I didn't particular rate him as a player or a manager, but that doesn't mean I think he was garbage or league 2 level.

I couldn’t deny it ,I can’t stand him to the point where he makes my skin crawl, for me he’s a blagger and he’s been extremely lucky to be a family friend of sl 

• Like 1

The passion of the LJ glee club was barely comprehensible when he was still here - when it was, I guess, conceivable that he'd turn out to be the messiah they wanted him to be. It's completely inexplicable now. I liked him as a player. Couldn't understand why he got the manager job, the wrong man at the wrong time - the only possible explanation was his closeness to the Lansdowns. He failed to deliver what we were told was his objective. He's never won a promotion with any side. Couldn't get Sunderland out of League One! He will lurk as a presence on this forum because his tenure was so consequential - blew our chances of promotion for a generation, and soured the relationship with the owner through the latter's obsession with being proved right in appointing him in the first place. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

I couldn’t deny it ,I can’t stand him to the point where he makes my skin crawl, for me he’s a blagger and he’s been extremely lucky to be a family friend of sl 

You know it's bad when I'm defending LJ, but come on now - was he family friends with the owners of the other 4 clubs he's managed too?

2 minutes ago, ChrisBW said:

He should have, L2 is his level.

I could see him ending up back in L1. I'd be surprised if he manages in L2 next but he might.

He's shown he's better than that up to this point though I think... he's been managing for 10 years now.

Just now, IAmNick said:

You know it's bad when I'm defending LJ, but come on now - was he family friends with the owners of the other 4 clubs he's managed too?

I could see him ending up back in L1. I'd be surprised if he manages in L2 next but he might.

He's shown he's better than that up to this point though I think... he's been managing for 10 years now.

Managing 10 years and achieved nothing

57 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

Evening Lee. Good win last night.

57 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

I actually agree with this

There was a lot of good about LJ as both a player and a manager

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Don’t think so, but you can’t deny if his dad wasn’t manager he wouldn’t of kept getting new contracts, how long did he manage at other clubs, he certainly wouldn’t of got the job at city if he wasn’t friends with sl .

1 minute ago, ChrisBW said:

What was good about his management? 

Developed players like Reid and Webster

Played brilliant football for the second half of 2017

Beat Man Utd and gave many fans their best football night ever

Absolutely nailed the 0-1 away performance 

There was a lot to love about his management overall despite the well documented downsides like very streaky and many poor home performances 

• Thanks 1

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Developed players like Reid and Webster

Played brilliant football for the second half of 2017

Beat Man Utd and gave many fans their best football night ever

Absolutely nailed the 0-1 away performance 

There was a lot to love about his management overall despite the well documented downsides like very streaky and many poor home performances 

He developed 2 players and won a league cup game, some achievements. He was hopelessly out of his depth.

• Confused 2