IGNORED

Boiler / Plumbing Question

phantom

• Admin

I had a problem with the water pressure being too low on my boiler yesterday, so increased this (but probably too high)

When I woke this morning I have noticed that my overflow pipe has water flowing out of it

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can stop it?

Would lowering the water pressure help - if so how do I do that?

I have tried getting a plumber but none currently available

4 hours ago, phantom said:

I had a problem with the water pressure being too low on my boiler yesterday, so increased this (but probably too high)

When I woke this morning I have noticed that my overflow pipe has water flowing out of it

Hi Mark,

In principle, both hot and cold water have an identical pressure, but, just as a hot water storage tank may leak via the top inlet (due to rust etc.), reducing the temperature seems to reduce the 'pressure' and, consequently, the leaks.

I found with an old hot water storage tank that the leaking joint no longer leaked when I reduced the temperature, e.g. in summer or during prolonged absences.

I am sure any plumbers reading this will be able to explain the technicalities, but perhaps give it a try.

Good Luck.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Do you have a combi boiler ? Sounds like you have a problem with the expansion vessel, you can release pressure at a radiator air vent, catch the water in a bowl. Get it to about 1.2 bar when cold. Put the heating on and if pressure rises significantly its a faulty vessel or vessel needs recharging. Depending on make of boiler vessels are about £120 plus a couple of hours labour. The pressure relief valve has obviously opened so that may need replacing, if it's a Worcester that is a horrible job !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
15 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Silly question, but presumably when you opened the cold water flow to increase the pressure at the boiler, I assume that you then completely shut off the cold feed?

I didn't at first but noticed later that I hadn't

Plumber here now so should be sorted soon