IGNORED

Could we not have played TWO league games

Never to the dark side

There are 26 players from the Championship at the World Cup, easier for a blanket suspension than try and get the League to sort things on a club by club basis I guess. 
Clubs can play games, I think there has been a game played or planned. But from our perspective it gives added time for players to get fit, and after a poor results run ( if not performance) the break was handy. Plus the reasons mentioned above. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

There are 26 players from the Championship at the World Cup, easier for a blanket suspension than try and get the League to sort things on a club by club basis I guess. 
Clubs can play games, I think there has been a game played or planned. But from our perspective it gives added time for players to get fit, and after a poor results run ( if not performance) the break was handy. Plus the reasons mentioned above. 

Pathetic is my opinion, 26 players out, I bet a good number of them only sit on the bench. Rugby do it for the life of me I can't see why the champ had to be called off

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Sunderland and Millwall arranged a Championship game, at very short notice on saturday 3rd december

One which had been postponed following the death of the Queen. Our game postponed at the same time against Preston has already been played about 6 weeks ago. 

It also wasn't announced at "very short notice" - it was announced in September: https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2022/september/26/sunderland-v-millwall-rearranged-for-december/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

One which had been postponed following the death of the Queen. Our game postponed at the same time against Preston has already been played about 6 weeks ago. 

It also wasn't announced at "very short notice" - it was announced in September: https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2022/september/26/sunderland-v-millwall-rearranged-for-december/

Yeah, but other than that...

• Haha 2

On 27/11/2022 at 07:04, Port Said Red said:

And had played to very small crowds and made a lot less in hospitality income.

You only have to see our crowds for the large number of Tuesday games we've had instead of playing a Saturday to know that this post is not true

We surely could have played 3pm Saturday when the competition was Poland v Saudi Arabia

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

You only have to see our crowds for the large number of Tuesday games we've had instead of playing a Saturday to know that this post is not true

We surely could have played 3pm Saturday when the competition was Poland v Saudi Arabia

What are there, 12/13k season ticket holders? That tells you that a good percentage of the crowd is made up of match day sales and of that quite a few more will be 'blow ins". You can't honestly tell me that you think that the people in that group would rather spend their money dragging their families out in the cold and wet when there are several games to watch in the comfort of your home for free.

Days like Boxing Day and New Year's Day and games around that period are always going to attract a crowd, family members who are visiting from outside the area, students and so on. 

I think I am 100% correct in believing we would lose a large amount of revenue playing games in this period instead of at the scheduled dates.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Here’s our league attendances this season:

010F558B-A0B1-4FCA-85EB-777B4C9F2FFE.jpeg.245d4bb494fc4fe1d066b36ce76ae1c2.jpeg

There is a 4,248 difference in average attendance midweek to weekend!  Some of that will be lost travelling fans too.  But weekends are the big earners for pay on the day / non-season card holders by the looks of it.  I’m sure Cardiff (h) that was rescheduled for TV / Police would’ve been higher than 21,649 too.

I’m not sure of who is debating from which side of the fence on this one, just presenting the numbers.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

What are there, 12/13k season ticket holders? That tells you that a good percentage of the crowd is made up of match day sales and of that quite a few more will be 'blow ins". You can't honestly tell me that you think that the people in that group would rather spend their money dragging their families out in the cold and wet when there are several games to watch in the comfort of your home for free.

Days like Boxing Day and New Year's Day and games around that period are always going to attract a crowd, family members who are visiting from outside the area, students and so on. 

I think I am 100% correct in believing we would lose a large amount of revenue playing games in this period instead of at the scheduled dates.

Weekends in November were effectively replaced by midweeks in September/October which as per my post and Dave's stats attracted a significantly lower attendance than any weekend game. Of course people might decide to stay at home to watch Poland v Saudi Arabia much as they most certainly stayed away midweek to watch Liverpool v Milan or some other prime competing, Champions League game.