IGNORED

FBC POD: In conversation with... Dave Rennie [the player 1989-92]

headhunter

Something a bit random to listen to as we start the build up to World Cup success [perhaps] and City's big revival which gets underway next weekend:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/in-conversation-with-dave-rennie-the-player-1989-92/  [Also on Google, Apple & Spotify]

Anyone who was around at the time will have fond memories of the 89/90 promotion season when Dave Rennie formed half of a midfield pairing alongside the irrepressible Gary Shelton.

Manager Joe Jordan signed Rennie from Leeds United in the summer of 89 and he went on to play 104 games for the club scoring 8 goals. He left in the 93 close season for Birmingham City before enjoying 4 seasons in the Premier League with Coventry City. 

Who remembers those corner routines in 89/90: pinpoint corner from Gavin to Rennie at the near post for a back header which often found Taylor or Turner ready to pounce!

Hope you enjoy this interesting chat with Dave who viewed football very much as a job rather than an all consuming passion

rennie 2.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Really decent player for us and got me in trouble at Twerton one year as hit a screamer to put us 1-0 up to which I celebrated on instinct whilst stood in the Rovers end. Not quite sure how I managed to come out of that one. Great passer of the ball and very good in the air and with Shelton alongside him we were strong in midfield.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Really decent player for us and got me in trouble at Twerton one year as hit a screamer to put us 1-0 up to which I celebrated on instinct whilst stood in the Rovers end. Not quite sure how I managed to come out of that one. Great passer of the ball and very good in the air and with Shelton alongside him we were strong in midfield.

Personally thought he was bang average. Decent passer lost most aeriel duals and shied away from a tackle. Shelts carried him most games imo.

• Like 3

Good player, bit underrated because he had no pace & was overshadowed by the brilliant Shelton.

Very good in the air, positionally smart (always goal side when we were out of possession) & a good foil for Shelts.

Not the most popular with supporters but we’ve had loads worse.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Great player. Hugely underrated by fans but not managers. Went onto better things after leaving us which shows how good he was 

.... possibly. Might also show something about Cov and how strapped they were and their recruitment at the top and what "ponds" they were fishing in, and it might also show that it was Bobby Gould that signed him.

On 03/12/2022 at 14:39, Silvio Dante said:

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned the penalty yet…..

Until the infamous Tomlin "deliberate" one, that was possibly the worst penalty I had ever seen. The only credit he gets from me was that nobody else wanted to take it that night, at least he stepped forward.

Judging him just on the 89/90 season (my favorite season and the first one I was able to see most of the games), he was the Matty James of the day. Not overly flash, but solid and reliable and knew what his job was. A big part of us going up that year, but as many have said, not really rated by the majority of our fans. he did goon to show he was well worth his place. 

Listening to the excellent podcast with Headhunter, you can perhaps see why, as he was just professional, but not a badge kisser.

• Like 1