IGNORED

Ashton Gate players at the World Cup

Chivs

So, in an idle moment I got to thinking that the next couple of weeks could be the biggest games of their lives for some players.

But how does that compare with playing at Ashton Gate. Incomparable I suspect!

Which players that have played at the current World Cup have appeared at Ashton Gate?

To my shame, my first thought was Grealish and De Bruyne.  I was looking forward to seeing one player and disappointed, and think the other person is the best player I've seen at Ashton Gate.

My shame? I next thought of Fammy and Semenyo (same reasons as above). 

After that, and I'm quite pleased with this one, I thought of Suarez.

Then Rashford, Schmeichel (I think) ... I'm sure there are many more not least from the ManU and Man City games but I can't recall.

So, without looking it up, who have you seen playing at Ashton Gate who has minutes in this World Cup?

Leroy Sane scored the opener in the home leg  of the Man City game 

Iliman Ndiaye scored the winner for Sheff Utd this season.

Aaron Mooy for Brighton or Huddersfield.

Bellingham for Birmingham City looked a giant then and he had only just turned 16!

Kalvin Phillips for Leeds Utd.

Looking at the Welsh squad, I think Gareth Bale might be the only one who hasn't played here? 

Didn't Shaqiri play for Stoke down here? I thought he might have?

The Danes, Norgaard and Jensen for Brentford. 

Two or three of the Watford players I think.

It's funny because the Bristol Post ran an article at the start of the World Cup on "40 players that have played at the Men" and I thought we could probably name 40 from the last 2 seasons alone, and I don't think we are far off. 

• Flames 1

Romain Saiss captained Morocco to their win against Spain, played here for Wolves in the FA Cup game 2019

As did Ruben Neves, Raul Jimenez, Leander Dendocker and Conor Coady (though he's not played yet)

Stones, De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, Sane, Gundogan, Walker all played for Man City here

Raymond Kopa played for Reims in a floodlit friendly in 1954. Also that year he played for France in the '54 World Cup in Switzerland and scored for them.

Then went to Real Madrid.

I suspect several others in 1950's played at Ashton Gate in floodlight friendlies and World Cups.

John Charles of Leeds and Wales, came to mind immediately. Also other Welsh who played for Cardiff or Swansea and 1958 World Cup.

Billy Wright Wolves and England captain

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Romain Saiss captained Morocco to their win against Spain, played here for Wolves in the FA Cup game 2019

As did Ruben Neves, Raul Jimenez, Leander Dendocker and Conor Coady (though he's not played yet)

Stones, De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, Sane, Gundogan, Walker all played for Man City here

De Bruyne looked just unstoppable at AG, but 4 years on, emminently stoppable in Qatar. 

• Like 3