IGNORED

Max O’Leary

Davefevs

15 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Max hasn’t had a problem with his kicking before, au contraire, I think it was just a bit of rustiness. Top keeper. Top bloke.

It was noted during the RobinsTV commentary that Rotherham had reduced the size of their pitch. Not really an excuse, but if it was that small, maybe Max should have spent more time practicing kick outs befor ethe game so he could get his yardage right. (I did notice that kicks down the middle could easily make it to the opposition keeper.)

34 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

It was noted during the RobinsTV commentary that Rotherham had reduced the size of their pitch. Not really an excuse, but if it was that small, maybe Max should have spent more time practicing kick outs befor ethe game so he could get his yardage right. (I did notice that kicks down the middle could easily make it to the opposition keeper.)

I didn’t think teams were allowed to change their pitch dimensions mid season, thought they submitted at the start of the season and that was it!

I tweeted Toby during comms yesterday, and have just looked up the rules.

image.thumb.png.01ff24c7226f1299fb139a8a29797598.png

I was right.  Those years of playing Football Manager stood me in good stead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I didn’t think teams were allowed to change their pitch dimensions mid season, thought they submitted at the start of the season and that was it!

I've always found it weird how pitches are allowed to be different sizes. Surely should be the same size. 

Any reason why? 

42 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

I've always found it weird how pitches are allowed to be different sizes. Surely should be the same size. 

Any reason why? 

37 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Might be historic where you could only fit a smaller pitch into a cramped stadium? Just a guess though!

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My logic too.

The original rules gave a maximum size for pitches, not sure if those weird Village size games had any impact on their thinking . 
That meant they could be anything "up too" (I've just checked the size) 100 x 200 yards. 

This is from an article on UEFA.com;

Thus, the dimensions of the football pitch – decided in 1863 at the founding meeting of The Football Association – were set out in the first printed version of the complete Laws of the Game. In metric measurements, this means 183m by 91m.

By any measure, this was an astonishingly loose regulation, allowing pitches to vary considerably in size. A subsequent amendment in 1897 stipulated that pitches should be 91–119m long and 46–91m wide, albeit with greater precision required for international matches (101–110m long and 64–73m wide).

Today, the regulations governing UEFA's competitions allow for fewer surprises, with pitches required to be 100–105m long and 64–68m wide. This ensures – no pun intended – a more level playing field.

• Thanks 2

On 11/12/2022 at 15:40, paul_fox said:

Any reason why? 

To give places with limited space the maximum chance to play football. 

A pitch used to have to be 50 to 100 yards wide and 100 to 130 long, but can not be square. I’m not sure if that has changed at all in the past 25 years or so, I’m sure the Law Book does say. 

I believe there are rules about when you can change the size in a season. It’s not just a case of a bloke painting new lines. 

Edited by REDOXO

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I reckon we should reduce the size of the pitch DURING the game.  If we're defending a First-Half lead, come back on to a 40 yard by 40 yard playing surface and pack the box.

C'mon groundsman. Surely with new technology this is an option. ;)

Well, they already use drop in pitches in cricket so.........................................

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 16:28, 1960maaan said:

The original rules gave a maximum size for pitches, not sure if those weird Village size games had any impact on their thinking . 
That meant they could be anything "up too" (I've just checked the size) 100 x 200 yards. 

This is from an article on UEFA.com;

Thus, the dimensions of the football pitch – decided in 1863 at the founding meeting of The Football Association – were set out in the first printed version of the complete Laws of the Game. In metric measurements, this means 183m by 91m.

By any measure, this was an astonishingly loose regulation, allowing pitches to vary considerably in size. A subsequent amendment in 1897 stipulated that pitches should be 91–119m long and 46–91m wide, albeit with greater precision required for international matches (101–110m long and 64–73m wide).

Today, the regulations governing UEFA's competitions allow for fewer surprises, with pitches required to be 100–105m long and 64–68m wide. This ensures – no pun intended – a more level playing field.

Isn't there a rule on grass length too?  I'm sure I heard LJ say it had to be between 5cm and 7.5 cm.

On 11/12/2022 at 15:03, Davefevs said:

If that is a screenshot of the official rules, it would mean you could have a pitch any length you like as there are two maximums and no minimums.

• Flames 1

25 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Got to be dropped for Thursday. Two games in a row his indecision has cost us. First goal was 100% on him today.

It was & he also made a brilliant save first half too.

Real mixed afternoon for him.

Be very surprised if he’s dropped for Millwall, we’re obviously trying to ease Bentley out & on the basis of the Lincoln game it would be a gamble to start with Bajic.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Be very surprised if he’s dropped for Millwall, we’re obviously trying to ease Bentley out & on the basis of the Lincoln game it would be a gamble to start with Bajic.

It was only a brilliant stop because there wasn’t a West Brom player to tap it in. Otherwise he got a good hand to it but put it straight out into the middle of our six yard box

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

All keepers at this level have a brilliant save in them. It’s their ability to not makes mistakes that makes them stand out. There’s a mistake in Max more than most at this level. He’s young and so time is on his side, but that doesn’t make him faultless and I’d certainly rather have Bentley. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1