IGNORED

Max O’Leary

Davefevs

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

100%? What about Vyner?

It was a overhit pass so what Vyner did or didn’t do doesn’t really come into it and if you’re going to look at outfield contributions then look at Weimann’s role in it. It was a basic goalkeeping error of judgement end of.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

Just now, redkev said:

Thought the 2nd was a good finish , let’s be honest 2nd half WBA totally out played us nothing max can do about that 

The second was a excellent finish if the keeper is in no man’s land. And you’re right West Brom outplayed us. But teams with a better keeper concede neither of those. 

12 minutes ago, redkev said:

City didn’t lose today because of max o Leary , it’s deeper than that same as the Andy king centre back story again it’s deeper than that 

Nobody is saying “Bristol City lost because of Max O’Leary”. However he is going through a phase of poor decision making and with Goalkeepers that costs you dear unfortunately. Twice in the last two defeats. That’s the nature of the job.

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

100%? What about Vyner?

Not watched a replay back but my feeling in the ground was Vyner was completely shafted by a lack of cover to his right and lack of decisiveness from the goalkeeper. He was trying to deal with the fallout from two players’ errors and - whilst it made him look bad - I think he was left in an impossible position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

The second was an excellent finish if the keeper is in no man’s land. And you’re right West Brom outplayed us. But teams with a better keeper concede neither of those. 

Exactly. O’ Leary needs to either commit to coming for it or stay on his line and bark at the defender to deal with it.

Instead he lulled the defender into a false sense of security by appearing to come then stopped in a lobbable position.

51 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It was a overhit pass so what Vyner did or didn’t do doesn’t really come into it and if you’re going to look at outfield contributions then look at Weimann’s role in it. It was a basic goalkeeping error of judgement end of.

Weimann as well as Vyner. No way is O’Leary 100% culpable for the goal. 

Maybe he expected Vyner to sprint and deal with it like he should have done 

It was an overhit pass and both King and Vyner looked at him and asked him why he didn’t come for it. He should have dealt with it regardless of where he expected Vyner to be. Instead he went backwards. He made an error of judgement. If Vyner is toe to toe with the West Brom lad or even a yard ahead it’s still an easy collect for O’Leary. I’m not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It was an overhit pass and both King and Vyner looked at him and asked him why he didn’t come for it. He should have dealt with it regardless of where he expected Vyner to be. Instead he went backwards. He made an error of judgement. If Vyner is toe to toe with the West Brom lad or even a yard ahead it’s still an easy collect for O’Leary. I’m not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.

Fair enough. Have to agree to disagree. My main issue right now is our manager saying he isn’t bothered by the booing as he’s been booed in bigger stadiums than Ashton Gate.  That’s more important than who’s fault is the first 

Fair enough. Have to agree to disagree. My main issue right now is our manager saying he isn’t bothered by the booing as he’s been booed in bigger stadiums than Ashton Gate.  That’s more important than who’s fault is the first 

I agree with the last bit. It’s a pointless, antagonistic thing to say and benefits nobody. I said on another thread if you’ve nothing of use to say on a subject button it and move on……

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Not watched a replay back but my feeling in the ground was Vyner was completely shafted by a lack of cover to his right and lack of decisiveness from the goalkeeper. He was trying to deal with the fallout from two players’ errors and - whilst it made him look bad - I think he was left in an impossible position.

I wouldn't absolve him.

He was caught so flat-footed that he failed to catch a player who was parallel to him and who had to receive and control a pass then run with the ball. 

Both goals his fault today, and both due to indecision. There was a warning sign about 5 minutes in when Williams played the ball to Max and he froze and left it to the worst positioned Vyner.

Goal one - he makes the decision to come, stops, goes back. I agree Vyner should follow his man but he’s expecting Max to come there and any defender would. The come means the defence ease slightly into next phase play, so when he changes his mind, it screws those around him up. It also means he’s not “set” when Phillips shoots and shows him a lot of the goal. Really poor.

Goal two - similar in a lot of ways. Starts to come, stops, backpedals. Cedes a lot of ground to Asante and makes up his mind to try the lob. Had he kept coming, probably wouldn’t have got there first (unlike the first) but wouldn’t have given Asante such a clear option.

A thought that went through my head was that when he made the mistake Vs Millwall (coming for a ball that wasn’t his when Kalas +2 had it covered on edge of the box) Nige said he didn’t mind as he wanted his keeper to make decisions. On that basis alone, he should be dropping Max after today (I also stand by prior comments that he’s not a championship keeper overall)

• Like 1

It's funny how where you watch the game from affects your impression of the goals. I sit in the south stand, and at the time it was difficult to say whether O'Leary should have done better for the goals.

Having watched the highlights back (i.e. perspective from the Lansdown), you can see his hesitation caught him in no man's land for both goals. So yes, he is culpable to an extent - however there were other individual errors leading to the goals which also contributed.

For example, Naismith sloppily conceding possession inside the center circle for their second.

10 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

It's funny how where you watch the game from affects your impression of the goals. I sit in the south stand, and at the time it was difficult to say whether O'Leary should have done better for the goals.

Having watched the highlights back (i.e. perspective from the Lansdown), you can see his hesitation caught him in no man's land for both goals. So yes, he is culpable to an extent - however there were other individual errors leading to the goals which also contributed.

For example, Naismith sloppily conceding possession inside the center circle for their second.

He's not great on the first,  but fully responsible for the second, for me.

The reason, if a keeper comes for something, he HAS to get it.  Why is he rushing out for a ridiculous ball nowhere near the goal?

Edited by AppyDAZE

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

He's not great on the first,  and fully responsible for the second, for me.

The reason, if a keep comes for something, he HAS to get it.  Why is he rushing out for a ridiculous ball?

Probably because the first goal was playing on his mind. Looking at the berating that Vyner gave him after the opening goal, I would say his train of thought was probably something along the lines of "shit, I really should have come off my line for that one and closed the angle down". 

That probably made him a bit too eager to charge out for their second goal, and getting caught in no man's land. 

The more I watch it back, the more it looks like the kind of rusty decision making that a number 2 goalkeeper would make coming into the team unexpectedly. Which is weird, as MOL has had enough game-time now to settle into the team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Probably because the first goal was playing on his mind. Looking at the berating that Vyner gave him after the opening goal, I would say his train of thought was probably something along the lines of "shit, I really should have come off my line for that one and closed the angle down". 

That probably made him a bit too eager to charge out for their second goal, and getting caught in no man's land. 

The more I watch it back, the more it looks like the kind of rusty decision making that a number 2 goalkeeper would make coming into the team unexpectedly. Which is weird, as MOL has had enough game-time now to settle into the team.

Shame because I was warming to Max. Hope he can put it behind him beacuse he's been ok til now.

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Shame because I was warming to Max. Hope he can put it behind him beacuse he's been ok til now.

FWIW I think he will stay our number 1 until Bajic starts showing something promising. Sadly, I think Bentley's days are numbered. 

Max isn't a bad goalkeeper at all, he's fairly standard for this level. Some very peculiar decision making today however.

• Like 1