IGNORED

Andy King at CB experiment should never happen again…

Davefevs

Why oh why does it take a mistake to prove to absolutely everyone that he’s not a CB. He’s played no more than a dozen games there in his career & most of those here. In fairness he has done ok in some games but was an accident waiting to happen. I despair at Pearson at times as must see things we don’t or just bloody stubborn 

Edited by Shuffle
  • Like 5

I’m an old fashioned soul and believe you should choose defenders who are actually defenders. I think NP has got a bit carried away with picking players who look comfortable when they have the ball, and when they have time,  and has forgotten the characteristics that make a good central defender. Strange as he was one in his playing days. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

We desperately need defenders who can defend. We have to stop conceding stupid goals. A back 3 of Vyner in the middle with Pring and Tanner either side looked better than today’s combination with King and Naismith, neither of whom  are defenders.

In some sports they have a stat that shows net benefit or deficit for time spent on the pitch in terms of scores. On that basis both King and Naismith would be in seriously negative territory right now, and that speaks volumes to our problems.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

King being used as a huge scapegoat for me in my opinion. I’m aware he made the mistake for the goal but didn’t do anything wrong other than that. For me Vyner was absolutely terrorised down his side and sometimes even saved by King coming over

TBH James was as much to blame for their winner. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Why oh why does it take a mistake to prove to absolutely everyone that he’s not a CB. He’s played no more than a dozen games there in his career & most of those here. In fairness he has done ok in some games but was an accident waiting to happen. I despair at Pearson at times as must see things we don’t or just bloody stubborn 

Yes and I refer you to that prolonged experiment with Sam Bell at full back.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Do we know that Atkinson was definitely available today? Not even making the bench suggests to me that he wasn't.

edit: just seen the bit on the other thread that suggests he was. All very odd.

The manager said on radio Bristol he doesn't trust Atkinson so that's why he's picking King,

God knows what Atkinson must be doing in training for the boss to think so little of him 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I’m not defending Nige because I honestly think the performances are there for all to see . Today after a slow start we gradually took control of the game and got the deserved goal . At the time of the goal we were well on top and at that stage I could only see one winner Us , but inexplicably we just seem to go all lethargic we’re happy to let them play the ball about and just sat back and got very sloppy when we cleared the ball just allowing them to start the next attack . To me that was down to the players ( not Nige ) we also seem to become very complacent and brought it all on ourselves . Like others have said that was a poor Stoke side so what does that make us . Rotherham gave us a game last week despite us winning 1-3 slightly worrying WBA could have scored 8 today my mate is a season ticket holder there and he said apart from there goal keeper who had a blinder he thought they were shocking 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

2 or 3 games?

Not sure it was even that.

Back to King, he’s done well there a couple of times but it really isn’t the answer.

I would not be at all surprised if Atkinson is off next month, he’s not featured since the World Cup (unused sub at Rotherham, not even on the bench today), Pearson made a point about us needing to “trade” next month, so maybe he’s a part of that?

Klose isn’t going to play again unless we get an injury crisis, either.

1 hour ago, winsaw said:

The manager said on radio Bristol he doesn't trust Atkinson so that's why he's picking King,

God knows what Atkinson must be doing in training for the boss to think so little of him 

That's what I want the press to ask NP. What precisely doesnt he trust about him? or what does he need to do in order to gain NP's trust?

Edited by beaverface
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure it was even that.

Back to King, he’s done well there a couple of times but it really isn’t the answer.

I would not be at all surprised if Atkinson is off next month, he’s not featured since the World Cup (unused sub at Rotherham, not even on the bench today), Pearson made a point about us needing to “trade” next month, so maybe he’s a part of that?

Klose isn’t going to play again unless we get an injury crisis, either.

Really confused over Atkinson situ, bought by NP, why does he not trust him ?, Is he ready to go ? How can King be a better option ?

And Vyner needs to defend central. Gets skinned if wide 

Obviously King should have done better with the first goal but what didn’t help was the very loud “Keepers!” Shout from Max when the ball was in the air…with Max then just standing and watching. 

Communication in general is awful in our team. Players leaving balls for each other in both penalty areas. 

1 hour ago, winsaw said:

If that’s true, and I haven’t heard any of the post-match comments yet, that’s a piss take.

Atkinson’s his signing and he’s been on an upward curve this season IMO, certainly one of our best players before the first international break. Hopefully he’s only trying to get him to up his game, but that’s clutching at a thin straw.

Playing King at CB might work against a Watford team resting players for the World Cup, but I know what horse I’d back week in, week out in that position over the course of the season and it wouldn’t be King.

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacki said:

Exactly right. You play King at centre half when you’re desperate and have no one else. Or you do it in the middle of a game when you have an injury. Playing him there through choice is a stupid thing to do and we paid for it today.

What I don’t understand is how, after a 4 week break and with other centre halves fit, we end up with Pearson thinking he’s the best option. Klose and Atkinson are both available and were both signed by Pearson so why the hell aren’t they playing? It’s a ridiculous situation and I have no doubt it cost us points today. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Do we know that Atkinson was definitely available today? Not even making the bench suggests to me that he wasn't.

edit: just seen the bit on the other thread that suggests he was. All very odd.

We really need to understand the recent selection issues with Rob.  He was in fine form earlier this season, but had one or two poorer games and then doesn’t get into the 18 today.  Culminating with Nige saying what he did on BBCRB this evening.

I don’t get it.

I sort of got last week with King guiding Tanner through, but I also thought why not just play Tanner / Naismith / Atkinson.

I really want to see Atkinson with Pring outside of him.

Hope it resolves itself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

So what do we make of Pearson’s comments to RB post match? 

The implication is that he doesn’t trust anyone other than Andy King to play in that position.

Has something happened behind the scenes? Why is Atkinson so out of favour? 

Sorry but I find it hard to remember any really stellar performances from Andy King in a City shirt. He seems to be a Pearson favourite but as far as I can see he’s not good enough for midfield and he’s not a central defender so why is he being picked ahead of players who actually know those positions?

Until we stop conceding stupid goals we will remain in trouble. And playing Andy King in central defence does not seem like a good way to shore up a leaky defence. As for playing out from the back, we always seem to be one slip from disaster. Playing high risk balls around your own penalty area just adds to the chances of giving away silly and unnecessary goals.