IGNORED

Happy Birthday Jimmy Mann

1960maaan

I know I’d probably said this at the time the video first got shown, but I wondered after all those years whether I’d built the goal up in my head and it wasn’t as far out or as fiercely hit as I remembered as an 8/9 year old.  I was in the open end with the Forest fans and almost dead in line with it.  What a hit!

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know I’d probably said this at the time the video first got shown, but I wondered after all those years whether I’d built the goal up in my head and it wasn’t as far out or as fiercely hit as I remembered as an 8/9 year old.  I was in the open end with the Forest fans and almost dead in line with it.  What a hit!

We were in the enclosure, I may have exaggerated (slightly) over the years saying it was about 40 yards, which may have started at 30. But a hell of a strike. Shame the Club doesn't have it's own Site dedicated to highlights and Goals, I'm sure it would be popular.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

We were in the enclosure, I may have exaggerated (slightly) over the years saying it was about 40 yards, which may have started at 30. But a hell of a strike. Shame the Club doesn't have it's own Site dedicated to highlights and Goals, I'm sure it would be popular.

...or a site dedicated to penalties so that we can look back with nostalgia :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I was in the Dolman right in line with it. Somehow it’s slower on film for whatever reason and where I was sitting it seemed much nearer the center circle, but that is a matter of angles I guess. If the edge of the D is 22 yards then I reckon that was 40 yards from goal. 

The ‘re’ emergence of this video a while back after years of people on here asking why it wasn’t available was a good day!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

I was there too the rot set in after this game though..... 

Yeah... Presented by gordon owen... 

You leave Gord alone. He was a fantastic player for us. The poor bloke’s career is blighted by those two very important misses but at least he had the guts to take them. 
Anyone have a Gordon Owen highlights video ( other than the opposition keepers) ? 

• Like 1

When Gow lays it off to him he then turns and makes his way into the box almost looking for a return pass not thinking in a couple of seconds it would be hitting the back of the net.

I couldn’t get to too many games at that time but glad I was at that one and was stood almost bang in line in the east end. 

9 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Happy birthday super Mann, my favourite player as a little un.

Always remembered for beating Shilton from 30 yards.

Great player in a great team.

Said it here before, but almost as tragically funny as the goal was great was that my brother's mate missing the goal as he was searching for a lost coin (probably a 2p one :) ) behind the boys enclosure.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Good player in a very good side, him, the sublime Cormack, industrious Tainton & Sir Gerry in midfield.

Not bad, was it?

Sadly, it may be the best City side we ever see.

Ironically, I couldn't name the various, more recent promotion sides but could still name the 12 that got us up in 1976. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

55 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Ironically, I couldn't name the various, more recent promotion sides but could still name the 12 that got us up in 1976. 

Because there wasn’t, 7 subs or squad rotation . Our best eleven played 40 odd games a season , plus cups. 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Think that’s virtually certain.

The third season after promotion saw us finish 13th in the top flight, with the players I mentioned previously, plus the likes of Hunter, Ritchie, Mabbutt & Royle.

The likelihood of achieving this again seems nigh on impossible.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Because there wasn’t, 7 subs or squad rotation . Our best eleven played 40 odd games a season , plus cups. 

Crazy by modern standards eh Major?

I was in the enclosure when Jimmy's rocket hit the east end net, one of the best I've ever seen tbh, although I am very, very biased.

After watching the video kindly supplied by the op, I had forgotten Forest were the European champions plus just how far out Jimmy hit it from.

Imagine us beating the best side in Europe now?

Halcyon days but we didn't know it. :(

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1