IGNORED

The Playing Squad since 2019-20 season

Davefevs

3 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I can't for the life of me remember Rodri.

And Dave, is it still a tenner for each player we find that you've missed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodri_(footballer,_born_1990) signed as an OOC player outside the window. He was the player who passed to Palmer to pass to Brownhill for the 97th minute winner against Charlton after Fam had been sent off.  You’re excused for not recalling that! ???

Maybe for a real obvious one…sliding scale for obscure!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I can't for the life of me remember Rodri.

And Dave, is it still a tenner for each player we find that you've missed?

Striker from Spain. Had a decent touch & thought he looked quite tidy. But only used sparingly if I recall. Fairly sure he played in the Spanish top league before us. COYR 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Pearsonistheman said:

You honestly think we sold Marlon Pack for four million quid? FOUR MILLION QUID???? 

I agree.

My main data says £750k, because John Palmer (who’s on the money…no pun) wrote that Cheltenham got £130k sell on (20% of £650k profit).

But then there were subsequent reports elsewhere of staged payments and that was just the initial year’s sell-on, with more to come.  But I copied and pasted the above spreadsheet from an old version and didn’t check.

Now corrected, ta.

(ridiculously low amount to accept for a key player…we’ll done Ashton…not!)

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Pearsonistheman said:

What makes shocking reading is if this post is correct. Pearson has only signed 8 players and only paid a fee for 2 of them? Compare that to Johnson’s tenure…

If only Nige had been given LJ’s level of resources since arriving.

The powers that be never highlight that though, it’s always “we are where we are” and we move on.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

C01CD5F3-8416-494B-B978-5D919C88B21F.thumb.jpeg.a8833f9ffecb3fcd84af2d349fd20640.jpeg

Everyone (I think) who’s played a league game, since the start of 2019-20 season (plus Bajic / Wiles-Richards). Plus how many appearances (starts and subs), fees, etc.  The likes of Idehen I’ve put as being signed for the Academy.  73 players in total.

Do you have the same data for other clubs in the league? Difficult to tell if that's a lot or about the going rate.

1 hour ago, Floatn Over said:

If only Nige had been given LJ’s level of resources since arriving.

The powers that be never highlight that though, it’s always “we are where we are” and we move on.

When you say ‘ the powers that be ‘ you mean Nige? That’s one of the things I like about him, he knows what he’s dealing with & just gets on with it. I actually think there’s an element of him enjoying it as well. COYR 

7 hours ago, Pearsonistheman said:

What makes shocking reading is if this post is correct. Pearson has only signed 8 players and only paid a fee for 2 of them? Compare that to Johnson’s tenure…

And that’s one of the reasons why I think it’s an achievement to have stayed in this division up to this date. Nige has had to shop in Poundland; the previous regime shopped in Harrod’s. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, tin said:

And that’s one of the reasons why I think it’s an achievement to have stayed in this division up to this date. Nige has had to shop in Poundland; the previous regime shopped in Harrod’s. 

"Harrods" - not quite true.

Simply put, yes, we spent 'the most' we've ever spent on players and wages. Paid for, in part, with 'the most' we've ever received in transfer sales.

The reality is though, in comparison to other top teams, what we spent and what we paid in wages was only ever really of the level we achieved - a play off push.

What underpinned the ultimate failure of the strategy was the money we earned/spent was virtually completely wasted. The quality of recruitment just wasn't there, a plan simply wasn't there. Quantity of quality - a squad flooded with 'mediocre' championship players.

Because we couldn't afford the wages of the top upcoming players, we took the easy route of shopping at the 'next best available' level and over paid for it - that's what has burdened the squad and tied NP's hand's behind his back.

What we should have been doing was working harder to find the gems, the diamonds in the rough, but the club wanted to fast track yet couldn't really afford to do that - and we had a manager and CEO incapable of making the squad a better sum of it's parts.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 10

Just now, Alessandro said:

Simply put, yes, we spent 'the most' we've ever spent on players and wages. Paid for, in part, with 'the most' we've ever received in transfer sales.

The reality is though, in comparison to other top teams, what we spent and what we paid in wages was only ever really of the level we achieved - a play off push.

What underpinned the ultimate failure of the strategy was the money we earned/spent was ultimately wasted. The quality of recruitment just wasn't there, a plan simply wasn't there. 

Because we couldn't afford the wages of the top upcoming players, we took the easy route of shopping at the 'next best available' level and over paid for it - that's what has burdened the squad and tied NP's hand's behind his back.

What we should have been doing was working harder to find the gems, the diamonds in the rough, but the club wanted to fast track yet couldn't really afford to do that - and we had a manager and CEO incapable of making the squad a better sum of it's parts.

There is no way in the world MA was ever going to adopt that approach.   Look at what is happening at Ipswich and his scattergun approach to signings there.   I will never forgive him for wasting the family jewels. And in turn SL has to take a lot of the blame for allowing him to take that approach.   Hindsight is a wonderful thing though!  

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, lenred said:

There is no way in the world MA was ever going to adopt that approach.   Look at what is happening at Ipswich and his scattergun approach to signings there.   I will never forgive him for wasting the family jewels. And in turn SL has to take a lot of the blame for allowing him to take that approach.   Hindsight is a wonderful thing though!  

The key thing he’s got right at Ipswich is appointing a top class manager who will certainly go onto bigger things in the game. He’s got the scattergun players playing pretty well on the whole and I’m quite sure they will go up 

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

What underpinned the ultimate failure of the strategy was the money we earned/spent was virtually completely wasted. The quality of recruitment just wasn't there, a plan simply wasn't there. Quantity of quality - a squad flooded with 'mediocre' championship players.

You shouldn’t take Harrod’s literally; it was an analogy. As @CodeRed said, we paid Harrod’s prices but got Lidl quality by and large - and that’s why we’re in the stagnant position we find ourselves in now, having to take hopeful punts on lower league freebies until such a time comes that the slate is wiped clean. I can’t have Mark Sykes, for example, starting over Tanner and I think Wilson will come good next year in that position. 

I agree with the rest of your post, the reckless scattergun approach is not - and never has been - the best way to go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

The key thing he’s got right at Ipswich is appointing a top class manager who will certainly go onto bigger things in the game. He’s got the scattergun players playing pretty well on the whole and I’m quite sure they will go up 

They didn’t last year though when they signed what - 40 odd players? Looks good this year at the moment can’t deny  - but at what cost? All this money doesn’t grow on trees - regardless of what MA thinks.   

10 hours ago, Pearsonistheman said:

image.thumb.png.1a66d8593a6934b088d8d1c49ec6447e.png

only two for a fee, correct, but 10 in total over 3 windows (2 summer / 1 winter).  Some people will throw Weimann and Baker (re-signings imho) and Idehen and say it’s 12 or 13.  Wilson will be something like £300k compo, but beyond Atkinson, he’s spent a pittance on fees.  Let’s not forget the wage bill has come down too and the amortisation costs slashed, and continues to fall.

Two of those 10 were very much temporary (Simpson and Klose) even if both got an extra year.  Think that is more to do with their low wages and our financial position.

7 hours ago, O'Garlandinho said:

Would like to see the make-up of current squad value for completeness. Thanks

Far too subjective imho.  I think it’s worth doing after the window shuts, because we will then know whether the likes of Bentley are here with zero value, etc, etc.

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Do you have the same data for other clubs in the league? Difficult to tell if that's a lot or about the going rate.

No, sorry.  I don’t think the number of players is excessive per se, but the profile of senior, mid-range, academy aged players has changed.  Very few, if any, clubs in the champ are including 6-9 Academy players in their match day 18s.

18 minutes ago, lenred said:

They didn’t last year though when they signed what - 40 odd players? Looks good this year at the moment can’t deny  - but at what cost? All this money doesn’t grow on trees - regardless of what MA thinks.   

Really looking forward to reading their accounts for 21/22 when they come out.  Ashton made some comments like the transfers were net zero, which I find hard to believe.  There are quite a few “undisclosed” that the annual accounts will tease out the total value for.

They are in a strong position to go up, they probably will too, but (Kevin Keegan-style) I’d love it if they didn’t.

Edited by Davefevs

5 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I think it’s much easier to ‘buy’ your way out of league one - and MA has had plenty of backing at Ipswich.

Proof in the pudding will be in the Championship - average wage in championship is nearly triple league one - big step up financially.

It is due to the SCMP (Lg1 FFP) rules re owner investment…unless of course there are several clubs doing it all at the same time.

Some well backed clubs in the top 10 (ignore 9th).

image.thumb.png.a01edc64ae759ec767e2dea0cc8f30eb.png

Could easily see Barnsley going on a good run and pushing Plymouth or Ipswich into the playoffs.  Playoffs gonna be tough this season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Really looking forward to reading their accounts for 21/22 when they come out.  Ashton made some comments like the transfers were net zero, which I find hard to believe.  There are quite a few “undisclosed” that the annual accounts will tease out the total value for.

They are in a strong position to go up, they probably will too, but (Kevin Keegan-style) I’d love it if they didn’t.

I'd love it if they went up. Chance to give Mr Ashton some verbal payback. There's a non-zero chance he'd miss the game at Ashton Gate due to a fake illness.