IGNORED

The Lansdowns are a pox on our club

WessexPest

Sadly, they backed the wrong horse with transfer funds quite substantially and we are paying for it now being hamstrung with no money to spend and players on high wages. 
On paper Pearson was a good appointment and most of the fanbase was very happy with it. What they do next could be a very big decision for the club

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 4

2 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Yes, I realise there aren’t exactly a busload of wealthy buyers at hand but the Lansdown family have engineered a slow and steady malaise of our club while making some boneheaded managerial appointments.

Yes, Pearson’s time is up - I don’t know what I expected from him but after two years at the helm it was certainly more than this rancid cheesewater - but why would you trust the morons at the head of our club who couldn’t organise their s*** into the pan to get it right next time? The whole rotten lot needs to go.

Short term there’s no outcome other than League One football. Unacceptable but sadly the reality. 

Zero faith in Steve's next managerial appointment, for obvious reasons. 

I'm astonished people haven't woken up to the fact we're for sale. 

A period of great uncertainty. 

I'm concerned Steve will hold out for unrealistic money. 

With so much financial uncertainty, it's a terrible time to sell unfortunately.

That said, the pound is weak, so a good time for American investors.

• Like 12
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, we could end up with unscrupulous buyers - if that meant success no one would care. Of course things could get worse, I’m not blind to that. But better under the current regime? Slim to no chance.

3 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Yes, we could end up with unscrupulous buyers - if that meant success no one would care. Of course things could get worse, I’m not blind to that. But better under the current regime? Slim to no chance.

I am on record and happy to repeat that we will not be promoted under SL. I'd like a quick sale and new opportunity thanks 

I think/hope it's coming in the next 18 months 

• Like 14
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

More concerned he’d want to sell Bristol Sport as a whole. His comments about investment basically said he’d sell. Didn’t say sell but said it would need to be a massive sum. Who wants to invest 10-20 millions to part own(non majority) a championship club with no track record of getting to the top flight? Anyway want Bristol City to be Bristol City not part of BS. Idk where a sale leaves us with the stadium either. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

More concerned he’d want to sell Bristol Sport as a whole. His comments about investment basically said he’d sell. Didn’t say sell but said it would need to be a massive sum. Who wants to invest 10-20 millions to part own(non majority) a championship club with no track record of getting to the top flight? Anyway want Bristol City to be Bristol City not part of BS. Idk where a sale leaves us with the stadium either. 

I think he wants to keep Bears but would be willing to sell City and AG.

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Tinnion will NOT be the next BCFC manager, and I'll take your money now.

Yep, he would not accept even if offered. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

We can point to the success stories of Bournemouth and others and they have gone way past us despite having a far smaller catchment area.

But have we done better or worse than you would expect from a team who've spent a good proportion of their existence as a third-tier backwater?

Since 2007 we've spent 13 of the last 15 seasons in the Championship, and we've finished in the top half in six.

Nothing special, but we also won our first league trophy in 60 years in the two seasons we were in League One which says a lot about how little success we have ever had.

When SL leaves City, will we be in a worse or better position than when he found us? You'd have to be very harsh to say a revamped stadium, new training ground and sustained second-tier set-up isn't progress, even if it could be better.

Edited by RonWalker
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, RonWalker said:

We can point to the success stories of Bournemouth and others and they have gone way past us despite having a far smaller catchment area.

But have we done better or worse than you would expect from a team who've spent a good proportion of their existence as a third-tier backwater?

Since 2007 we've spent 13 of the last 15 seasons in the Championship, and we've finished in the top half in six.

Nothing special, but we also won our first league trophy in 60 years in the two seasons we were in League One which says a lot about how little success we have ever had.

When SL leaves City, will we be in a worse or better position than when he found us? You'd have to be very harsh to say a revamped stadium, new training ground and sustained second-tier set-up isn't progress, even if it could be better.

He's left the club in a better place, but in terms of value for money, it's absolutely horrific. And that's the point.

Yes, we have done a lot worse than similar sized clubs. Most painfully Cardiff and Swansea. 

Very easy to stick money into property (the stadium), the FC, a very different proposition. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

He's left the club in a better place, but in terms of value for money, it's absolutely horrific. And that's the point.

Yeah no one could really argue that.

But is he a "pox" on our club for ploughing millions into BCFC, making us better in the process but wasting tonnes of his own money that he'll never get back? Bit 'arsh.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

Yeah no one could really argue that.

But is he a "pox" on our club for ploughing millions into BCFC, making us better in the process but wasting tonnes of his own money that he'll never get back? Bit 'arsh.

We've been over it many times. He's clearly lacked any footballing nouse. I'm just watching Brighton beat Saints on motd. 

Brighton got promoted to L1 the year Lansdown took charge. Swansea were in the basement division. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We've been over it many times. He's clearly lacked any footballing nouse. I'm just watching Brighton beat Saints on motd. 

Brighton got promoted to L1 the year Lansdown took charge. Swansea were in the basement division. 

Yeah, bi-weekly on slow weeks, but the thread is the thread. The biggest sadness is that when he did try to seriously entrust someone else with running the club, it was Mark Ashton.

Edited by RonWalker
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ron W said:

Yeah, bi-weekly on slow weeks, but the thread is the thread. The biggest sadness is that when he did try to seriously entrust someone else with running the club, it was Mark Ashton.

Whose fault was that? Is Hargreaves the brains in Hargreaves-Lansdown as surely he can’t be as awful running that as he has our football club appointment wise.

You could argue the most successful manager in his ownership was the one he didn’t pick…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pearsonistheman said:

Whose fault was that? Is Hargreaves the brains in Hargreaves-Lansdown as surely he can’t be as awful running that as he has our football club appointment wise.

You could argue the most successful manager in his ownership was the one he didn’t pick…

He wouldn't be the first successful businessman to burn a chunk of his earnings running a football club without much to show for it. And he wouldn't be the last.

Edited by Ron W

13 minutes ago, Ron W said:

The way Ashton was able to pull the wool over SL’s eyes for so long is testament to SL’s inability to judge a man’s character. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

Mike Ashley was a terrible owner, but probably did a good job by his financial advisor's reckoning. And probably made a very healthy profit?

Where do you want to start... Randy Lerner, Ellis Short, Mel Morris, there's three for starters. At least SL hasn't turned off the tap the moment he's realised how much is going down the plughole and left us to rot. He's made a significant number of poor investments though.

Edited by Ron W
  • Like 1

In my opinion this is the most important thread we have had in the life of Otib.

More and more fans are coming to the same conclusion about the ownership, and no longer do some of us feel we are voices in the wilderness, who at times have taken terrible personal abuse on Otib for expressing our genuinely held views.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Have said on other threads - sacking Pearson doesn't change much. I have zero faith that SL will get in the right man based on his previous record.

Massive problems at this club and it all feels rather stale and the fans can feel it based on the rather stale atmosphere at the club these past 3 or 4 years. SL doesn't have the passion for it as he used to (understandably). It's all very safe and cushty, the place needs a shake up and new owners would probably be worth the risk right now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WessexPest said:

Yes, I realise there aren’t exactly a busload of wealthy buyers at hand but the Lansdown family have engineered a slow and steady malaise of our club while making some boneheaded managerial appointments.

Yes, Pearson’s time is up - I don’t know what I expected from him but after two years at the helm it was certainly more than this rancid cheesewater - but why would you trust the morons at the head of our club who couldn’t organise their s*** into the pan to get it right next time? The whole rotten lot needs to go.

Short term there’s no outcome other than League One football. Unacceptable but sadly the reality. 

“Rancid cheesewater”… ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ron W said:

He wouldn't be the first successful businessman to burn a chunk of his earnings running a football club without much to show for it. And he wouldn't be the last.

I'm struggling to name another owner who's stumped up overall about £250M and got so little to show for it.

Bournemouth and others took the gamble of going for it big time one season regardless of the FFP implications if they failed. How much have they earned in their time there? Lansdown has lost in the long term by playing safe and when he did splash a bit on the playing side it was entrusted to Ashton.

• Like 1