IGNORED

Reported Salaries

Tomo

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Sometimes people will know for a fact. I’m friends with a brother of a former city player in the 90s and knew what he was getting paid 

I’m not sure “friends of a brother of a former city player“ is the close tie you think it is.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vidal said:

I’m not sure “friends of a brother of a former city player“ is the close tie you think it is.

Not sure you understand. I was a friend of his brother so was round their house a lot. He still lived at home so was there as well. He literally told me what he was earning.  Sometimes fans will have access to information. 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s why I said “some”.  Perhaps if I said football manager might be used as a reference / guide for ones they have no idea about, that might be a better statement.

I still think that was crap. Looked all a bit too simple.

I sent you a quick message but to add to the thread, I’m quite confident the wages were correct due to being threatened by the club. (I think it’s been enough time / the photo seems to be cleared from the internet, for me to mention this again).

• Thanks 1

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Not sure you understand. I was a friend of his brother so was round their house a lot. He still lived at home so was there as well. He literally told me what he was earning.  Sometimes fans will have access to information. 

No I completely understand, I assumed you had some actual evidence to be so confident when in reality “he told me”. 

FWIW I don’t think we will contract any new players / re-contract existing players above the £12-15k p.w mark going forward.

Re someone like Naismith, you’d imagine he’d be near the top end of the range, but then again, that 3rd year on his deal might’ve been at the expense of a slightly reduced wage when it finally came to making the decision to sign.  Bit like Weimann, who looked elsewhere, couldn’t get 3 years (possibly only two year deal at Stoke) so ended up happy to sign here for what was on offer.  Quite possible that Nahki was similar, two years guaranteed rather than a summer trying to eke out a better wage and maybe only for one year, then have to do the same the summer after.

What we do know is we aren’t offering the kind of wages we once were…and nor are most clubs outside the PP clubs.

It’s probably all a bit futile really.  You have players at different stages of their career, the number of contracts they’ve signed in the past, are they academy or not (not that it should matter imho), etc, influencing what they get paid.  When they step over the white line, it’s what happens next that matters.

Of course it’s a great discussion topic, especially with the financial situation, but nobody really knows, even when speaking to someone who does know, they are still probably using ball-park figures rather than actuals…unless it’s the person themselves and they really go into specifics.  Even our own salaries aren’t always straightforward.

Edited by Davefevs

Just now, And Its Smith said:

The player himself told me. Pretty good source wouldn’t you say!  Maybe I should have asked him to write it down so I could prove to you 25 years later!  

I’ve known an ex Bristol City player for a decade, both before he signed for them, during his time here and afterwards. Very friendly, saw each other daily and worked closely in a business and professional relationship. 
He told me things that were fact, he told me things that was utter bollocks. One thing you learn is to take things with a pinch of salt.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vidal said:

I’ve known an ex Bristol City player for a decade, both before he signed for them, during his time here and afterwards. Very friendly, saw each other daily and worked closely in a business and professional relationship. 
He told me things that were fact, he told me things that was utter bollocks. One thing you learn is to take things with a pinch of salt.

Sounds like a weirdo to make stuff up! 

• Like 1

In my time in financial services, I’ve seen a fair few players contracts. They are an absolute mess to work out what will actually come in outside of the basic. The reason for this is things like win bonuses are graduated dependent on where the win takes the club in the table after that round of games - higher it takes you, higher the bonus.

Case in point - a few years ago I was asked to look at a loan application for a footballer at league one level. What is common when applying for a mortgage is you take 100% of basic and 50% of non guaranteed bonuses. 

To get to the bonus level stated, the player would have had to do along the lines of start every game, the club not gone out of the top 6 all season, scored 10 goals, not been booked and the club get to the FA cup quarter finals. He was a DM who’d played maybe 70% of games the prior year. 

Suffice to say it was declined and the broker threw an absolute fit…

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

In my time in financial services, I’ve seen a fair few players contracts. They are an absolute mess to work out what will actually come in outside of the basic. The reason for this is things like win bonuses are graduated dependent on where the win takes the club in the table after that round of games - higher it takes you, higher the bonus.

Case in point - a few years ago I was asked to look at a loan application for a footballer at league one level. What is common when applying for a mortgage is you take 100% of basic and 50% of non guaranteed bonuses. 

To get to the bonus level stated, the player would have had to do along the lines of start every game, the club not gone out of the top 6 all season, scored 10 goals, not been booked and the club get to the FA cup quarter finals. He was a DM who’d played maybe 70% of games the prior year. 

Suffice to say it was declined and the broker threw an absolute fit…

How would you account for things like image rights payments or other media related stuff. It's not basic wage, it's not a bonus, and it's normally paid to a separate rights company. But it is pretty much guaranteed income. Would it just be separate income derived from/through said company?

Edited by ExiledAjax

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

How would you account for things like image rights payments or other media related stuff. It's not basic wage, it's not a bonus, and it's normally paid to a separate rights company. But it is pretty much guaranteed income. Would it just be separate income derived from/through said company?

Because it’s paid through a separate company, it’s treated in the same way as any self employed income. The issue may be that you’d have no “history” (and with Self Employed, you’d generally want 3 years history to see sustainability). 

Bear in mind that in accounts you’ll see other costs as well, and unless the lender is minded to add back, generally you only consider income (net profit) post those costs for loan approval purposes.

So, simplified answer, if I knew player A was receiving (to his ltd company) £1m a year image rights, and these were contractually guaranteed, starting position would be to assume the companies net profit position would be sustainable for the contract term as a minimum. That’s not an absolute though as it depends on how long the existing contract has left, where the player is in his career and, on the flip side, whether there are any add backs on the accounts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Sometimes they do but that isn’t the same scenario as a whole squad’s salaries being posted on a two bob website. We can all make educated guesses too based on transfer fees but clubs do not issue lists of players wages  to “Dave’sSalaryUpdate.com”.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Sometimes they do but that isn’t the same scenario as a whole squad’s salaries being posted on a two bob website. We can all make educated guesses too based on transfer fees but clubs do not issue lists of players wages  to “Dave’sSalaryUpdate.com”.

I didn’t say it was the same. I was saying sometimes fans will know a players wage. 

It is pretty savage of City to be giving players these negative pay rises during the cost of living crisis.

There has to be a real risk the players follow the nurses, train drivers, border forces etc and go out on strike.

Oh, hang on a minute, I get it now.... 

• Like 1

These salary websites are unreliable - yet people choose to believe and quote them when they want to highlight a player as being overpaid. 
Unless you work in the clubs HR or Payroll departments - or know the players personally (and they are prepared to reveal what they are earning - unlikely) then these websites are all there is to go on. 
Wells and Palmer for example took a load of stick on here (and other forums) for being overpaid and various sites were quoted, but when Simpson was listed as being on £15k per week the same sites were suddenly ‘bollocks’ and you were a **** if you believe them. 

People believe and quote what they want to underline the point they are trying to make  

If anyone knows enough to call a figure ‘bollocks’ then it would be good to know what the true figures are and the source of this biblical truth. 

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Add words
  • Like 2

My uncles brother, who lives with my twice divorced cousin's niece, who's stepfathers next door neighbour's lodger's auntie apparently told somebody at a bus stop that Nakhi Wells is paid 50,000 Bermudan dollars directly into a Swiss bank account every week?   `So I am certain it must be ........    true?       

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sometimes but rarely clubs might publish the player as in total player remuneration section of the wages. That'd include it all I expect.

Cardiff for example- dunno who else does, but thereafter it's guesswork on individuals.

Screenshot_20230102-134742_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.61f65385e14b805445cceafccb017f39.jpg

Cardiff aren’t breaking it down either…they are giving a total £ for all employees, not just players.  I’ve not found one club in the Championship, not even transparent ones like Norwich who quote a “all players” total as a subset of all employees.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Cardiff aren’t breaking it down either…they are giving a total £ for all employees, not just players.  I’ve not found one club in the Championship, not even transparent ones like Norwich who quote a “all players” total as a subset of all employees.

Maybe I misread it then, but it did mention included in the above is £x in player related wages. I suppose player related wages could be open to interpretation.

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

My uncles brother, who lives with my twice divorced cousin's niece, who's stepfathers next door neighbour's lodger's auntie apparently told somebody at a bus stop that Nakhi Wells is paid 50,000 Bermudan dollars directly into a Swiss bank account every week?   `So I am certain it must be ........    true?       

You poor and misguided chap. The actual amount is 49,536 Bermudan dollars. I know this to be factual because the head cleaner told me so and I am certain he is ITK.

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe I misread it then, but it did mention included in the above is £x in player related wages. I suppose player related wages could be open to interpretation.

No, you are right, that’s me not reading it properly, apologies.  Obviously large part of that will be first team / non-Academy. ??

4 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

These salary websites are unreliable - yet people choose to believe and quote them when they want to highlight a player as being overpaid. 
Unless you work in the clubs HR or Payroll departments - or know the players personally (and they are prepared to reveal what they are earning - unlikely) then these websites are all there is to go on. 
Wells and Palmer for example took a load of stick on here (and other forums) for being overpaid and various sites were quoted, but when Simpson was listed as being on £15k per week the same sites were suddenly ‘bollocks’ and you were a **** if you believe them. 

People believe and quote what they want to underline the point they are trying to make  

If anyone knows enough to call a figure ‘bollocks’ then it would be good to know what the true figures are and the source of this biblical truth. 

Re Palmer, he did acutally have to report his wage (when he went to court), and at the time was on £110,000 per month.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/live-former-huddersfield-town-star-15224568

20 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Re Palmer, he did acutally have to report his wage (when he went to court), and at the time was on £110,000 per month.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/live-former-huddersfield-town-star-15224568

Obscene when you consider what he has done to earn it.

49 minutes ago, Hxj said:

My limited experience is that most footballers don't actually know what they really earn.

What they do have a really good handle is how much they can waste spend every week.

Some famous footballer once said 

‘I spent most of my money on women and drink. 
The rest, I wasted. ‘