IGNORED

Max O’Leary best performance ever ?

Major Isewater

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I thought Max was outstanding v Coventry. I haven’t seen a City keeper catch so many crosses in a very long while. He is growing in stature and Bajic has a very long way to go to replace him. 
Well done Max. 

He is similar to Bentley in that he is an excellent shot stopper but can also make really poor mistakes. Certainly attempts to be more dominant. He is playing for his long term future and like many I am undecided as to whether he is a long term championship number 1.

Agree with the Major, he’s had better shot stopping performances in the past, but yesterday he looked much more like a solid, all round keeper - more Mäenpää than Bentley. I’ve been sceptical he could achieve that (often a good shot stopper, although sometimes slow to move feet; decent distributor, but doesn’t dominate box) - one swallow etc, but play like yesterday consistently (albeit their set pieces were as bad as ours, just in a different way, cleared first man but looped too much) and he can be a very decent Champ keeper. 

14 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I thought Max was outstanding v Coventry. I haven’t seen a City keeper catch so many crosses in a very long while. He is growing in stature and Bajic has a very long way to go to replace him. 
Well done Max. 

The stream I was watching they had Steve Ogrisovich doing the summarising and he was very complimentary of Max. 

He did make the point that the type of crosses were making it easier for him, but said that his foot movement was technically very good and handling was exceptional.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I’m still uneasy when it comes to communication, a few times I was shouting at Vyner/Atkinson to put their foot through it as Max was half in and half out. He does have a tendency to get caught in no man’s land, whether that’s him or the defender (or both) not communicating properly is another question.

1 minute ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

I’m still uneasy when it comes to communication, a few times I was shouting at Vyner/Atkinson to put their foot through it as Max was half in and half out. He does have a tendency to get caught in no man’s land, whether that’s him or the defender (or both) not communicating properly is another question.

I agree. We haven't really established a central defence partnership on a regular basis, and I think tying down two in that position, so they can anticipate each other, anticipate the keeper, and they know each other's strengths and weaknesses, is very important. Probably more important than establishing a regular strike partnership. 

30 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Well done Max. 

I cover the U21's regularly. Bajic is no where near the 1st team imo..... 

He definitely had a little “wobble” in the previous two home matches but has followed up with two solid performances. What you can’t argue with is since he’s come in we’ve reduced our goals conceded column from the nigh on two goals per game Bentley was conceding. More consistency in communication and decisiveness is his next step to being a nailed on Championship level Number One imo.

• Like 1