IGNORED

Home form -or lack of

Dr Balls

On 03/01/2023 at 08:26, sh1t_ref_again said:

Within the games at home you can feel the tension or groans for a misplaced pass, players must be worrying about making a mistake which becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Its often an argument do the players have to perform to get the fans something to cheer about and create the atmosphere or should the fans get the ground buzzing which inspires the players?

Must agree that we are masters of our own doom at times with the negativity about the place

If the singing section sung all game and loud enough to inspire and spread  would we be harder to beat .  home fans not good enough , get rid of in this window and reinvest in louder ones 

Home performance levels haven't really been so bad. With the exception of Millwall at home, QPR 1st half we seemed to be asleep for a lot of it and West Brom 2nd half although they are in fantastic form and have a strong squad who have underperformed significantly until Corberan.

The atmosphere apart from a few games has been rather flat really. Stoke even after we scored and we were on top it was quiet. Luton at home in August was very quiet considering were on top and fairly dominant at 11 v 11 certainly.

On the flipside the atmosphere v Watford was good and seemed to grow as the side grew and vice versa.

Performance v result wise, very much deserved more than a collective total of 1 point from the Sheffield United, Watford and Stoke set of home games- goals we conceded in the last one very soft and we had to work significantly harder for our goal than they did for theirs which was disappointing.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

https://www.soccerstats.com/latest.asp?league=england2_2019

For those who are interested. We were 10th for it (home form) in 2017-18 and 14th in 2016-17.

A notable improvement on our 1st season up in which we were 20th!

I also believe that PPG per game at home is falling a bit across the board, or as a while at this level- others can play around with that but over 10, 20 years it's definitely falling I reckon.

This season we are 19th as it stands for home record.

23 hours ago, 2015 said:

Our home form has been below par since around 2010. Used to be a bit of a fortress before then, aside from 2014/15.

I miss going to home games and thinking how much we would win by today, and it being opposite for away games.

Yes that was League One tbh, we are up against a lot more clubs at or above our level at this level.

Do agree though, 2010- the win ratio post 2007-08 did drop but we rarely lost. Too many draws perhaps but we rarely lost and until the latter part of GJ era we were always one way or another competitive at home. Or mostly anyway. Think we were seen as one of the more difficult away games for a while outside of the top few of course.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes that was League One tbh, we are up against a lot more clubs at or above our level at this level.

Do agree though, 2010- the win ratio post 2007-08 did drop but we rarely lost. Too many draws perhaps but we rarely lost and until the latter part of GJ era we were always one way or another competitive at home. Or mostly anyway. Think we were seen as one of the more difficult away games for a while outside of the top few of course.

In 2009-10 we lost 3 home games - Cardiff 0-6, Doncaster 2-5, Sheffield Utd 2-3. 

Considering we were mainly up against bigger clubs with better facilities than us back then, that's a pretty strong home record for City barring those couple of hammerings mentioned there.

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

In 2009-10 we lost 3 home games - Cardiff 0-6, Doncaster 2-5, Sheffield Utd 2-3. 

Considering we were mainly up against bigger clubs with better facilities than us back then, that's a pretty strong home record for City barring those couple of hammerings mentioned there.

I was there for all of those. I’m also pretty sure they’re the only games I could make that season?‍♂️

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Woukd that be some kind of H&S requirement, SAG etc though? Unsure how much say the club have over that aspect. Would be happy if someone corrected me and I was wrong however!

Quite possibly yes.   But so many other clubs don’t do it so it can’t not be up for discussion at least.  A blanket ‘SAG says no’ isn’t good enough imo (on all sorts of issues not just lights). 

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

2017-18, last alright, passable home record IMO.

That's fair yeah it was a strong record and I didn't know it was quite that good tbh! The two hammerings came in the final few months of GJ but yeah we were quite strong at home back then now you point out only 3 losses.

We actually were iirc unbeaten at home in the League from late December 2008 to aforementioned Sheffield United game.

10-10-3 in 2009-10, probably unsurpassed since at this level.

That unbeaten run that lasted 11 months at home from 2008-09 to 2009-10. 10-9-0.

Checked a little more.

Take 2018-19 for example. Perhaps home advantage is less of a factor than it once was- I did a very quick sum and I believe the average side once all home points divided by all sides, games etc took 1.40 pts per home game.

Less than half- that is quite an interesting statistic IMO, possibly the increasingly cagey and tactical nature, counter attacking play from home and away sides and sides mirroring each other ie loads of back 3s all plays a part I think.

0.46 was when you divided it by total points, about 0.46 per possible point which is a shade under half.

Less than half again in 2017-18. Similar numbers. Happy to go back and check both, possibly got the sum the wrong way round but either way it's only in and around 50 pct.