IGNORED

Albert Adomah interview

Shtanley

Great interview thanks @Shtanley! You sound like you’ve thrown in the towel though mate, don’t give up we do appreciate what you do.

As for Albert, really good insight but wouldn’t say he’s a club legend. He played during 3 of the poorest seasons in recent memory, culminating in relegation. An icon perhaps, as he was one of very few bright points in those three years and clearly loves us, but legend? Not for me but great player. 

Thanks again @Shtanley.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2023 at 07:12, One Team said:

Great interview thanks @Shtanley! You sound like you’ve thrown in the towel though mate, don’t give up we do appreciate what you do.

As for Albert, really good insight but wouldn’t say he’s a club legend. He played during 3 of the poorest seasons in recent memory, culminating in relegation. An icon perhaps, as he was one of very few bright points in those three years and clearly loves us, but legend? Not for me but great player. 

Thanks again @Shtanley.

For me, his club legend status was cemented during one of his first interviews, when he dropped in that some young ladies had flashed him their Bristols at the airport.

28 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I got slated for saying this a few months ago.

He wasn’t the only one. SL blocked a number of former players from returning under LJ.

I don’t know why though, Murray wasn’t bad & Carey certainly wasn’t after returning. 

I remember being told some years ago pretty confidently that Skuse was returning but makes sense as to why it didn’t happen now. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I don’t know why though, Murray wasn’t bad & Carey certainly wasn’t after returning. 

I remember being told some years ago pretty confidently that Skuse was returning but makes sense as to why it didn’t happen now. 

Skuse was lined up to be one of LJ’s early signings. SL put a block on the deal.

Same occurred with Adomah and 1 or 2 others.

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep. 20+ years into his stewardship of the club and Steve STILL interfering with footballing matters. He'll never learn sadly. 

Adomah’s comments might alert some fans to the interference.

You have a player practically begging to return to the club on a permanent deal, saying that he wants to help the club succeed, and SL refuses to re-sign them on the basis that they have left us in the past.

The worrying part is, that at the time, Adomah would have been a huge improvement on what we had at the time and still wouldn’t complete the deal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Adomah’s comments might alert some fans to the interference.

You have a player practically begging to return to the club on a permanent deal, saying that he wants to help the club succeed, and SL refuses to re-sign them on the basis that they have left us in the past.

The worrying part is, that at the time, Adomah would have been a huge improvement on what we had at the time and still wouldn’t complete the deal.

Agreed. Looking back not sure Skuse would have improved us but may have been a decent squad addition. He'd even purchased a new house in Almondsbury (not his old one there) in expectation he'd be returning. One thing that did puzzle me slightly is that I always thought there was no love lost between Skuse and the Johnsons. He certainly wasn't a fan of GJ, for obvious reasons.

• Robin 1

38 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agreed. Looking back not sure Skuse would have improved us but may have been a decent squad addition. He'd even purchased a new house in Almondsbury (not his old one there) in expectation he'd be returning. One thing that did puzzle me slightly is that I always thought there was no love lost between Skuse and the Johnsons. He certainly wasn't a fan of GJ, for obvious reasons.

The skuse one didn’t make much sense, from a playing point of view. Considering we already had Marlon Pack. Unless he was wanted as cover?

A number of former players have kept their properties in the area, in the hope of returning later in their careers / after retirement.

It shows the lack of progression we have made as a club, that we are considered an attractive place to live, but they have to leave in order to progress their careers. 

Cheers Stan, great listen. 

Can appreciate producing a pod every week (if not more) can be a slog, but for what it's worth OSIB is excellent. Your ability to host and interview is top notch as well, I may be bias because its city, but I find your work far more engaging than most of what I hear on mainstream TV and radio

10 hours ago, One Team said:

Interesting comment from Albert about SL blocking any move back to City for him, “he doesn’t believe in players coming back”. 

None of us will know for certain that these are SL's feelings but what we do know is that Dave Coterill and Scott Golborne came back so it's more than likely b***ox

‘To be fair..that’s football…and the rest is history’ ?

Really enjoyed that. He still sounded like a young man.

@Shtanleyhope you continue the podcast. You could give some professional interviewers tips on when to chip in and when to just let the guest speak. Any more ‘cider with..’ eps planned?

On 06/01/2023 at 20:24, Henry said:

‘To be fair..that’s football…and the rest is history’ ?

Really enjoyed that. He still sounded like a young man.

@Shtanleyhope you continue the podcast. You could give some professional interviewers tips on when to chip in and when to just let the guest speak. Any more ‘cider with..’ eps planned?

Hopefully trying to do one a month for a little bit. Hard to track these lot down .

• Like 2

On 06/01/2023 at 19:29, Sleepy1968 said:

Stan, you're pretty damn good with these interviews. Keep up the good work.

Second that. The Cider With's are always good value and hold up well vs 'proper' interviews. Definitely try and keep these semi-regular if you can even if OSIB goes on hiatus (very obvious you are getting bored with those!)

• Like 1

On 06/01/2023 at 17:32, Loïs said:

None of us will know for certain that these are SL's feelings but what we do know is that Dave Coterill and Scott Golborne came back so it's more than likely b***ox

It's only the decent players he blocks.  Shit ones can come back.

I have enjoyed OSIB especially the Cider Withs but life is short, @Shtanley, so spend it doing what makes you happy.   We'll get by.

500 up for Albert in the Championship.

Still probably my joint favourite City player of all time. If he wasn’t there for those 3 seasons, Ashton Gate would’ve been a far more miserable place to go and watch football.

Edited by Carey 6
  • Like 1