IGNORED

Ref comes up with some interesting ideas

1960maaan

Now I'm not one for, change for change sake. But German referee Patrick Ittrich has suggested making several changes to football's rules and I'm with him on a few.

1) For a tactical foul in midfield, a free-kick should be awarded 17 metres from goal. How often will we see such fouls then?

2) If the player rolls on the floor three times and needs a doctor, get him one and make him wait on the sideline for 3 minutes. How quickly do you think the player would stand up?

3) If a player insults the referee, send them off for 10 minutes to calm down. Go cycling to warm up before coming back on. We can learn from handball in that respect.

4) How is a referee surrounded by 10 men after a decision? In my opinion, boom, boom, boom - three red cards. Play seven against ten now. That'd be fine by me.

First 3 I think could work , the last one feels like he threw that in so he could back down on one mad one, but get the others through. 
I'd love to see these at least discussed at the Top Table, rather than naming every stadium after Pele & World Cups every few weeks.

968949383_Screenshot2023-01-05at18_26_15.png.0edb164dfb970a56d273ba1985d0be79.png

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

I like suggestion number 2, and I'd like to add one...

If a substiture strolls off because his side are leading (or for any time wasting reason)

The ref can make the entering sub wait for as long as he feel the player leaving the field has wasted.

Then he waves him on.

There would be no buggering around then, I can assure you.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Another one, to stop the wrestling and holding at every corner.

Immediate penalty!

The trouble is, that wrestling and holding works both ways. And if the ref is forced into giving something, he'll generally spot an offence by the attacking side and give a free kick. Cos that's the easy option. And corners would become a waste of everyone's time. (Which I know ours usually are anyway!)

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Now I'm not one for, change for change sake. But German referee Patrick Ittrich has suggested making several changes to football's rules and I'm with him on a few.

1) For a tactical foul in midfield, a free-kick should be awarded 17 metres from goal. How often will we see such fouls then?

2) If the player rolls on the floor three times and needs a doctor, get him one and make him wait on the sideline for 3 minutes. How quickly do you think the player would stand up?

3) If a player insults the referee, send them off for 10 minutes to calm down. Go cycling to warm up before coming back on. We can learn from handball in that respect.

4) How is a referee surrounded by 10 men after a decision? In my opinion, boom, boom, boom - three red cards. Play seven against ten now. That'd be fine by me.

First 3 I think could work , the last one feels like he threw that in so he could back down on one mad one, but get the others through. 
I'd love to see these at least discussed at the Top Table, rather than naming every stadium after Pele & World Cups every few weeks.

968949383_Screenshot2023-01-05at18_26_15.png.0edb164dfb970a56d273ba1985d0be79.png

1-3 I like! And for 2, I'd add anyone clutching their head means automatic call for the trainer to come on (and they have to leave the pitch).

My suggestion for a 4th. Where VAR is used, like tennis, give each side 3 opportunities to ask for a review. But treat every query of a decision as a request for a review. That would soon stop players disputing every single throw-in, free kick etc.

23 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Another one, to stop the wrestling and holding at every corner.

Immediate penalty!

20 hours ago, italian dave said:

The trouble is, that wrestling and holding works both ways. And if the ref is forced into giving something, he'll generally spot an offence by the attacking side and give a free kick. Cos that's the easy option. And corners would become a waste of everyone's time. (Which I know ours usually are anyway!)

It was refreshing to see in the Lincoln v Ipswich game that the ref warned the Ipswich defenders twice at a corner that he was watching and when they did it a third time - penalty given. Didn`t stop the players surrounding him when he did but I bet he loved it.

• Like 2

On 05/01/2023 at 19:19, AppyDAZE said:

I like suggestion number 2, and I'd like to add one...

If a substiture strolls off because his side are leading (or for any time wasting reason)

The ref can make the entering sub wait for as long as he feel the player leaving the field has wasted.

Then he waves him on.

There would be no buggering around then, I can assure you.

I don't know why the game has to be stopped for a sub. Ice hockey has it right.

Play on, the replacement can't enter the field of play until the subbed player is deemed to have left it by the 4th official. 

Meanwhile everybody gets to watch what they have paid for, football - not the slow walk of doom...

• Flames 1

On 05/01/2023 at 18:27, 1960maaan said:

the thing about no 4 is the top leagues have VAR so why do the players still surround the ref? i think captains should be the only players allowed to raise issues with refs otherwise why not book/send them off then for for unsporting conduct, would stop it very quickly.

for me the biggest annoyance which every club does is time wasting such as kicking the ball away, faking injurys etc I would welcome any change which stops that.

in terms of diving perhaps us fans need to play our part like in rugby and laugh at them.

Edited by Crackers Corner

Number 1 is a very good idea.

Number 2 not feasible unfortunately as if a player gets injured by an opponent and it's a foul it would be absurd tp effectively punish the team whose been fouled. The best option for this situation is simply to do what they do in rugby and play on, physio just treats player whilst the match continues. 

• Like 1

On 05/01/2023 at 19:53, Robbored said:

Number 3 a yellow card - 10 mins in the bin as in rugby. A second yellow = red same as now.

They already do this in amateur football, works quite well actually.

1. I’m unsure of, too subjective. Yellows work fine not really a problem that needs fixing

2. Silly idea, I know some roll and take the piss but you won’t solve anything. Anyone not actually hurt but wanting to waste time will just roll less? They’ll still waste time. Also punishing teams when they have an actual injury, if time wasting is a concern just stop the watch.

3. As above already being done at some levels and works well.

4. This is better than it was but just have a rule like rugby where only the captain can talk to the ref?

1 hour ago, CheddarReds said:

I would support some sort of rule around players abusing the ref.

I like the idea of playing a 60min game but using a stop clock to remove time wasting, too.

Football has done ok so far with 2x45 mins, I'd hate to see that change. There have been too many changes in the last few decades for my liking. 

No thank you.

• Like 1

The idea that a level of shirt pulling in the penalty area is acceptable is to me nuts. But you see it all the time. 

Didn’t they try adding ten yards to a free kick for arguing once? I’m all for anything that stops that. 

Oh and make referees better by micro phoning them up for pro football 

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

They already do this in amateur football, works quite well actually.

1. I’m unsure of, too subjective. Yellows work fine not really a problem that needs fixing

2. Silly idea, I know some roll and take the piss but you won’t solve anything. Anyone not actually hurt but wanting to waste time will just roll less? They’ll still waste time. Also punishing teams when they have an actual injury, if time wasting is a concern just stop the watch.

3. As above already being done at some levels and works well.

4. This is better than it was but just have a rule like rugby where only the captain can talk to the ref?

I think yellow cards are something that does need fixing.

How does a side that has been fouled, or had any other offence against them, benefit from a yellow card to the offender? The side that benefits is the one that plays them when the offender is eventually suspended.