IGNORED

Average away followings so far this season

phantom

20 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I stuck up for our home support the other day. But have to be even-handed, and obvious excuses aside, those away numbers are not good. 

I wonder if it's as simple as our home attendance has increased so much over the past few years that people just choose to do more home games than away. 

I just don’t think watching City is as an enjoyable experience as it used to be. We haven’t been very good for best part of 5 years now - the first half of the 2017 season. Since then it really has been terrible . I can’t think of one positive spell since that first half of the season in 2017

Throw the cost of living into the mix as well 

As for the home attendances - I would love to know what the actual number is through the door at the last few home games. 

13 hours ago, Malago said:

Plymouth’s away support stands out. 1486 travelling an average 242 miles per game is outstanding at that level

Thing with those average mileage figures is they may reflect roughly how far the team coach travels, but not necessarily how far the supporters travel.

A very high minority of City fans live in the historic county of Somerset, giving a higher travel distance for away games (plus factor in the shite public transport in the West Country). Probably City have more supporters in Somerset than they do in historic Gloucestershire, although I'm aware there are plenty there.

For some sides, a big contingent of away fan numbers are exiles who live in more happening places for employment or higher education. Most folk from Plymouth and a high percentage of football-interested Cornishmen support Argyle. The area is economically depressed so many live in other parts of the country, helping boost, no doubt, those admirable away support figures.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I just don’t think watching City is as an enjoyable experience as it used to be. We haven’t been very good for best part of 5 years now - the first half of the 2017 season. Since then it really has been terrible . I can’t think of one positive spell since that first half of the season in 2017

Throw the cost of living into the mix as well 

As for the home attendances - I would love to know what the actual number is through the door at the last few home games. 

We won nine in a row in 2019...

You were probably still criticising everything 

30 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Thing with those average mileage figures is they may reflect roughly how far the team coach travels, but not necessarily how far the supporters travel.

A very high minority of City fans live in the historic county of Somerset, giving a higher travel distance for away games (plus factor in the shite public transport in the West Country). Probably City have more supporters in Somerset than they do in historic Gloucestershire, although I'm aware there are plenty there.

For some sides, a big contingent of away fan numbers are exiles who live in more happening places for employment or higher education. Most folk from Plymouth and a high percentage of football-interested Cornishmen support Argyle. The area is economically depressed so many live in other parts of the country, helping boost, no doubt, those admirable away support figures.

It`s often overlooked but Plymouth is a proper football city and most Plymouthian football fans support them rather than being plastics. I`ve said before that you are far more likely to see Argyle shirts around the place rather than Liverpool/Man Utd et al.

TBF to Exeter, you can say that for them too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`s often overlooked but Plymouth is a proper football city and most Plymouthian football fans support them rather than being plastics. I`ve said before that you are far more likely to see Argyle shirts around the place rather than Liverpool/Man Utd et al.

TBF to Exeter, you can say that for them too.

True, whereas Cornwall has more rugby or glory hunter fans.  Still a fair Cornish support for Argyle however. 

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

True, whereas Cornwall has more rugby or glory hunter fans.  Still a fair Cornish support for Argyle however. 

Not really. Cornwall rugby only really gets decent crowds/followings for the county side not the clubs (us v the rest of England mentality? It`s like an international for them!). The club sides don`t get many at all - even the `top` ones like Launceston only get a couple of thousand at best and the ground only has one small stand.

Argyle get a lot of Cornish support and from quite far afield too, places like St Austell, Newquay, Wadebridge, Camborne and Redruth all of which are well over an hour from Plymouth.

I think a lot of it stems from when they were a regular (like us) Division Two side and had some decent fixtures like we did.

Not really. Cornwall rugby only really gets decent crowds/followings for the county side not the clubs (us v the rest of England mentality? It`s like an international for them!). The club sides don`t get many at all - even the `top` ones like Launceston only get a couple of thousand at best and the ground only has one small stand.

Argyle get a lot of Cornish support and from quite far afield too, places like St Austell, Newquay, Wadebridge, Camborne and Redruth all of which are well over an hour from Plymouth.

I think a lot of it stems from when they were a regular (like us) Division Two side and had some decent fixtures like we did.

I'll bow to your Cornish rugby knowledge (aren't Cornish Pirates doing fairly well in the second tier?), but both Cornishmen I've worked with in the past were Plymouth-hating Man Yoo fans. 

• Like 1

Back in the 70s Argyle regularly had decent support from North Devon too, coach loads from the likes of Barnstaple and Bideford.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stephenkibby. said:

Back in the 70s Argyle regularly had decent support from North Devon too, coach loads from the likes of Barnstaple and Bideford.

They still do. I know quite a few that travel down. They have really benefitted from being relatively successful in a vast catchment area and, unlike a lot of clubs, their fans have stuck with them through the bad times.

28 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Most Cornishmen I’ve met and worked with support Argyle but have always had ‘another team’. Much like the Gas. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

They still do. I know quite a few that travel down. They have really benefitted from being relatively successful in a vast catchment area and, unlike a lot of clubs, their fans have stuck with them through the bad times.

Yeah your right, i lived in South Devon for many years and even when Torquay were pushing for a place in the second tier for a couple of years there was a decent Plymouth following in the area.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah your right, i lived in South Devon for many years and even when Torquay were pushing for a place in the second tier for a couple of years there was a decent Plymouth following in the area.

Torquay fans absolutely despise "the phlegm". 

16 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Remember someone or other - @Huntstile Red, possibly - telling me he was in Cornwall once, Roseland Penninsula way and got chatting to a local who used to attend Ashton Gate in 76-79 (then stopped, for some reason). If we get a wriggle on and get to the top before the 'Muff we might tap in to some of that far South West untapped glory-hunting,fair-weather, "ooh ,look,  it's a famous team/player," drop us like a stone once we're down potential support that we won’t have any spare seats for should the very unlikely actually ever come about.

2 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah i know, was in the Torquay end one Boxing Day back in the 70s for a 2/1 United win at Home Park.!!!!

Just looked it up, was in fact April 71. The Boxing Day Game was in 69 witch Plymouth won 6/0, was also at that one, remember a Mike Bickle  hat trick.

Christ i'm getting old!!!!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

"Only get a couple of thousand"?! That's big support for that level of rugby! 

I remember seeing a lad I know from Redruth at a Bears game at AG a couple of years back. I asked him if he supported Cornish Pirates to which he responded "no chance, I'm from Redruth; they're Penzance!" 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Torquay fans absolutely despise "the phlegm". 

I always had TUFC down as hating Exeter over Plymouth. Grew up in east devon and that seemed to be the sentiment among my schoolmates who followed exeter & torquay (early 00s). I think argyle used to chant 'we only laugh at the torquay'. Exeter took some flak from them both ?

16 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Remember someone or other - @Huntstile Red, possibly - telling me he was in Cornwall once, Roseland Penninsula way and got chatting to a local who used to attend Ashton Gate in 76-79 (then stopped, for some reason). If we get a wriggle on and get to the top before the 'Muff we might tap in to some of that far South West untapped glory-hunting,fair-weather, "ooh ,look,  it's a famous team/player," drop us like a stone once we're down potential support that we won’t have any spare seats for should the very unlikely actually ever come about.

There were plenty from the South Devon football league that i saw at midweek games back then, most going to watch our openents to be fair.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

"Only get a couple of thousand"?! That's big support for that level of rugby! 

I remember seeing a lad I know from Redruth at a Bears game at AG a couple of years back. I asked him if he supported Cornish Pirates to which he responded "no chance, I'm from Redruth; they're Penzance!" 

Assuming Plymouth do get back to the Championship, we will see a return of their three-teeth-possessing supporters claiming to be "the best team in the West Country".

As I had to patiently explain to one of their supporters, 'you aren't the West Country, in fact you're only marginally in England'.

With the exception of the Barbican area, it's a very ugly town. A naval base full of discharged seamen....

3 minutes ago, devoncider said:

I always had TUFC down as hating Exeter over Plymouth. Grew up in east devon and that seemed to be the sentiment among my schoolmates who followed exeter & torquay (early 00s). I think argyle used to chant 'we only laugh at the torquay'. Exeter took some flak from them both ?

Yep, Exeter first then 'the phlegm', so I've learned. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Interesting comment, but do people really go because of visiting a ground or go to support their team? 

Bit of both I think. Mainly to support the team, but when it gets tough and you just feel you are treading water and seen it all before, or worse fearing relegation, then a new ground is a welcome distraction

Maybe there should be a decibel chart?   As to which away supporters make the most noise, as per their volume?    i used to follow City all over the country when i was younger, and in the halcyon Super Bob day's!!............But wherever we are in the chart, I applaud our away support for their loyalty and commitment in these hard economic time's?...............Hopefully they will see a victory soon?