IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

7 hours ago, An Outstanding Human said:

I did notice at the Swansea game that quite a few people left S82 at half time and joined A Block, which did help the atmosphere a lot (that and the fact we actually started playing football in the second half!)

I'm all for the idea and if anything would happily join them as its a nightmare getting tickets in S82 unless it's a cup game. 

I saw lots move at HT too. I usually sit in the Dolman but was sat in the Lansdown on Sunday and could see lots walk along the top of the Dolman, I doubt this will be allowed on Saturday?

People moved away from the goal we were attacking which seemed a bit odd if you were purely there to watch the game

1 hour ago, fisherrich said:

Agreed, Bristol City FC play well when the fans support them.
Going down AG in last few years and just sitting there for 90 minutes with no atmosphere is not enjoyable. Too many plastics down there nowadays, and as seen, as soon as the team struggles, they stop going.
SL May like his “library style” atmosphere,but for me, watching football and making some noise, getting behind the team is all part of the fun of going down to watch City play.
Makes me think SL has taken the football club as far as he can.

When we played well v Watford, the atmosphere improved significantly. As the team were visibly putting in a shift after the terrible Lincoln game, the atmosphere was decent and grew which perhaps also pushed the side on.

Is it the team's job to lift the crowd or the crowd's job to lift the team would be the million dollar question. What should be first?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When we played well v Watford, the atmosphere improved significantly. As the team were visibly putting in a shift after the terrible Lincoln game, the atmosphere was decent and grew which perhaps also pushed the side on.

Is it the team's job to lift the crowd or the crowd's job to lift the team would be the milliom dollar question. What comes first?

With amniotic eggs showing up roughly 340 million or so years ago, and the first chickens evolving at around 58 thousand years ago at the earliest, it's a safe bet to say the egg came first. Eggs were around way before chickens even existed.

I may have misunderstood the question.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Flames 1

Good Luck to all those relocating to E34 or A block as it was. The ground is in dire need of some atmosphere . There’s no doubt that it has a positive effect on the team. 
Surely it only takes minimal security to keep opposite fans away from each other. 
I sit in C Block and I’m sure the singing will spread along to us. 
I really think the club need to get behind this a) because it can only be a positive and b) the crowd could well turn against the hierarchy. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, redapple said:

Good Luck to all those relocating to E34 or A block as it was. The ground is in dire need of some atmosphere . There’s no doubt that it has a positive effect on the team. 
Surely it only takes minimal security to keep opposite fans away from each other. 
I sit in C Block and I’m sure the singing will spread along to us. 
I really think the club need to get behind this a) because it can only be a positive and b) the crowd could well turn against the hierarchy. 

Well in simple terms the stewards are usually a right pain in the @rse wanting to check tickets ( im in E33 ), so this is going to be great on sat as they’ll stop everyone now that it seems quite clear people are going to relocate. ?
Should be fun with most of the ground wanting to filter into one block. ??

12 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Well in simple terms the stewards are usually a right pain in the @rse wanting to check tickets ( im in E33 ), so this is going to be great on sat as they’ll stop everyone now that it seems quite clear people are going to relocate. ?
Should be fun with most of the ground wanting to filter into one block. ??

Wish they'd check the tickets on the way into the Lansdown to stop people in the second half sneaking up to the comfy seats.

I don't really care about them sitting there, but constantly walking up and down and getting in the way while the game is on is bloody annoying!

Edited by IAmNick
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I mentioned on another thread a while ago that the “singers” should relocate themselves to the lower block of dolman A. 
Don’t ask the club, don’t publicise anything, don’t get permission, just do it. 
Organise it amongst yourselves, move your season tickets over there for next season. 
At the moment, there are about 1100 fans in the “singing section”, but most of the time there’s only about 150 of them singing. 
That’s the main problem. Most people in the “singing section” don’t actually bother singing. 
So those 150 or so should just organise themselves and up sticks to A block lower. 
There are about 200 spare seats in that lower block. All these ‘actual’ singers can fit in there without disrupting anyone who’s been a 35 year season ticket holder in the upper A block. 

Problem now is, they’ve publicised their intent. They should’ve just done it in the summer, on the downlow. 
Cat is out of the bag and the club will now likely restrict tickets in the lower a block area. 

End of the day, I agree that the closer proximity to away fans will naturally lend itself to a bit more singing. But ultimately, having only 15% of the “singing” section actually bother to sing, is the main problem. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

I mentioned on another thread a while ago that the “singers” should relocate themselves to the lower block of dolman A. 
Don’t ask the club, don’t publicise anything, don’t get permission, just do it. 
Organise it amongst yourselves, move your season tickets over there for next season. 
At the moment, there are about 1100 fans in the “singing section”, but most of the time there’s only about 150 of them singing. 
That’s the main problem. Most people in the “singing section” don’t actually bother singing. 
So those 150 or so should just organise themselves and up sticks to A block lower. 
There are about 200 spare seats in that lower block. All these ‘actual’ singers can fit in there without disrupting anyone who’s been a 35 year season ticket holder in the upper A block. 

Problem now is, they’ve publicised their intent. They should’ve just done it in the summer, on the downlow. 
Cat is out of the bag and the club will now likely restrict tickets in the lower a block area. 

End of the day, I agree that the closer proximity to away fans will naturally lend itself to a bit more singing. But ultimately, having only 15% of the “singing” section actually bother to sing, is the main problem. 

And then when it rains the Ultras will get soaked in Lower A, cant see them going for that.

• Admin
36 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'd guess part of the problem was making this area the cheapest area in the ground so people naturally moved there and not necessarily those who wanted to be there for the singing area 

7 minutes ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

And then when it rains the Ultras will get soaked in Lower A, cant see them going for that.

How did we survive in the old days in the open end 

If people can't sing because they're getting wet we have big problems 

Without wanting to be really negative about this "the singing" section will have now been in practically every location in the ground, it always comes back to positioning, acoustics etc etc

Maybe it's just down to us not having enough vocal support? 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'd guess part of the problem was making this area the cheapest area in the ground so people naturally moved there and not necessarily those who wanted to be there for the singing area 

Which was exactly what I said 5 years ago (or whenever it was) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Yes but they’ll all be well hard if theyre Ultras so shouldnt be too harmful to get themselves one of them see through ponchos Man city used to hand out! ?

Edited by nickolas

15 hours ago, spudski said:

This is going to completely confuse the players when they score, and try to celebrate in front of an empty S82 ??

I don't know if this is a quirk of where and on which foot and from which side we create and score goals at Ashton Gate, but I honestly don't remember a single City player celebrating a goal by running towards Dolman A/B for about 4-5 years and even then it was because the pre-cursor to S82 was right hand side of the Atyeo. Off the top of my head Bobby Reid, Fam's debut, and Tammy for a bit. These days the players instinctively go left at either end to S82 (or to their families?).

If they do run towards us in A/B block then they might be surprised to find a very welcoming, warm reception, provided that they can score before the 80th minute because we've all left to go home by then. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, TomF said:

Even the Williams corner by the away end, remember that? 

I don't think some people will ever know how funny it was watching that block, with the single entry to the away section in the covered end being closer to the Williams than the actual away section, it was like giving away fans a gameshow / talk-show style catwalk entry - enter, reaction to everything around them (mainly Williams), turn, down the stairs and round. And without fail, especially the closer to kick off or more drunk they were, totally distracted by that Williams block.

• Like 5

I don't think anyone will be angry at the aim of improving the atmosphere and if this happens on Saturday with them moving to empty seats then great.

If this means that Saturday involves this group fighting with stewards and their own fans, then it makes that aim look like an excuse rather than a positive. 

Let's hope it's the former.

Edited by Redinthehead
Bad English
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, phantom said:

Without wanting to be really negative about this "the singing" section will have now been in practically every __cpLocation in the ground, it always comes back to positioning, acoustics etc etc

Come on fine man from Wessun.

You know better than that. 

Your mates included some vocalists.

You can help fans to be louder and you can make fans quieter. 

People behave differently in different parts of the ground.

Easing things a teensy weensey bit in the old A block could raise a decibel now and again.

Dont call anything a singing section mind,

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Anyone wanting to go in A block but doesn't have a ticket for there will surely just go up one of the other Dolman block entrances where they don't check tickets and then walk along the top to reach A block?

And in doing so they give the Club/stewards the power to kick them out of that seat and the ground, and possibly to take away their ST.

Doing it the proper way - by calling the number that @Magger1 posted, or by otherwise getting permission from the club/a steward to move seat, they remove the club's ability to do that.*

*although the club always have the power to eject you if they think you're being dangerous or annoying.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, phantom said:

Without wanting to be really negative about this "the singing" section will have now been in practically every location in the ground, it always comes back to positioning, acoustics etc etc

Not true. Correct placement combined with on pitch success and proximity to away fans will lead to better atmosphere.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Doing it the proper way - by calling the number that @Magger1 posted, or by otherwise getting permission from the club/a steward to move seat, they remove the club's ability to do that.*

*although the club always have the power to eject you if they think you're being dangerous or annoying.

Hardly anyone will bother doing this in reality, they will just physically move.

My point was the stewards who check tickets on the first 2 blocks are pretty pointless because people will just go up another entrance and walk along. 

1 minute ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Hardly anyone will bother doing this in reality, they will just physically move.

My point was the stewards who check tickets on the first 2 blocks are pretty pointless because people will just go up another entrance and walk along. 

I agree, and it's a shame that people won't do it in accordance with the rules - because that will give the club and stewards licence to shut it down, or try to shut it down.

If the people 'organising' this move want it to stick then they need to box clever. Getting around the rules and riling up the club and stewards might be exciting, but it isn't clever.

Have to say that the Instagram account purporting to be leading this is encouraging people to buy tickets in the proper way, so we might see that they are doing it correctly all along.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, phantom said:

Based on what?

Out support have been all around the ground the past few years, nothing changes

A good example of this is the 07/08 season. Atmosphere was consistently good. All the considerations I’ve mentioned were in place at the time.

Would've been exactly the same in 14/15 were it not for the rebuild and that proves my point.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A good example of this is the 07/08 season. Atmosphere was consistently good. All the considerations I’ve mentioned were in place at the time.

Would've been exactly the same in 14/15 were it not for the rebuild and that proves my point.

08/09 though I didn't make so many games seemed not too bad from those I was at. Only made it to 5 or 6 and s few in 09/10 too, again only made it to some.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

08/09 though I didn't make so many games seemed not too bad from those I was at. Only made it to 5 or 6 and s few in 09/10 too, again only made it to some.

Yeah, 07/08 sticks out because it was our first season post promotion and I remember some great home atmospheres.

The other seasons sort of merge into each-other in my mind until GJ left.

• Like 1