IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

7 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I think people will try to get in there without tickets. Upsetting the regulars by sitting in their seats. Plus the little march we have going on. Plus a sold out Birmingham end. Plus the coked up mob thinking they are hard as ****. Plus we are doing really shit especially at home. Besides that you could be right  ;)

Majority of which will happen anyway is my point.  But crack on!

9 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Anything that can help improve the atmosphere has got to be a good thing. 

Lots of talk of us being a nice team to play against but I think that can also be said about the atmosphere as well. It’s just too nice of an experience for away teams to play at Ashton Gate these days. 

That’s exactly what the club want. It’s clear from the marketing.

I’m not criticising these initiatives or groups, but notice how much emphasis the club puts on AG being ‘family friendly’ and things like #HerGameToo.

It’s clear the desired clientele isn’t noisy 14-35 year old lads who want to create an atmosphere. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

54 minutes ago, Super said:

Surely the people already there can't choose who else are in there? As long as they are sat down and don't block view of others what harm are they doing?

That’s two very big “as long as” assumptions. Do you honestly think both those will happen?

And there’s a third: as long as they don’t sit in a seat someone else has paid for?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That’s exactly what the club want. It’s clear from the marketing.

I’m not criticising these initiatives or groups, but notice how much emphasis the club puts on AG being ‘family friendly’ and things like #HerGameToo.

It’s clear the desired clientele isn’t noisy 14-35 year old lads who want to create an atmosphere. 

So true unfortunately. Can’t be having a few working class kids making a racket……

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

So true unfortunately. Can’t be having a few working class kids making a racket……

I think the club see the likes of Reading as a good example to follow as one to emulate. They’d like us to be a fairly passive middle class supporter base who spend a great deal on merchandise and in the facilities.

Fortunately, we aren’t that sort of club and there is still desire to make AG noisy within the supporter base despite the club’s attempts to quash it.

There is room for all ‘types’ of supporter at AG and a good atmosphere helps the team. 

• Like 4

The stewards already expect to see season tickets / tickets when entering upper A/B blocks from the stairs even minutes before KO. This is the first season they've been doing it and it's a right pain in the proverbial.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Magger1 said:

I think it could work , it used to work well so fair play to youth and I’m right behind em 

It used to work in A block because it was empty and its wasnt ultra. We took over a block as there was frequently less than 10000 in the ground and it went from there to  A and B became the lads and casuals section.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the club see the likes of Reading as a good example to follow as one to emulate. They’d like us to be a fairly passive middle class supporter base who spend a great deal on merchandise and in the facilities.

Fortunately, we aren’t that sort of club and there is still desire to make AG noisy within the supporter base despite the club’s attempts to quash it.

There is room for all ‘types’ of supporter at AG and a good atmosphere helps the team. 

This is how I see the upper management's view of the club. I think they want the club to appeal to day trippers for extra revenue and income, but simply forget the majority of the hardcore support are quite vocal, from working class backgrounds. The club's hardcore fanbase is not made up of the prawn sandwich brigade.

Funnily enough the worse we do on the pitch the less likely day trippers come for a day out at the Football and the more likely the hardcore support will remain and therefore the atmosphere would likely improve, which is probably why the atmosphere vs Swansea was better than expected as ground likely full of hardcore City fans as opposed to day trippers looking to go to a local Championship match at a nice ground.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

It used to work in A block because it was empty and its wasnt ultra. We took over a block as there was frequently less than 10000 in the ground and it went from there to  A and B became the lads and casuals section.

It's exactly what's needed.

But you've gone about it completely the wrong way. 

"An old bull and a young bull stood at the top of a field, looking down at a herd of cows. Come on, let's run down there and **** one of those cows, said the young un. No son, let's walk down there and **** em all".

That's what you should have done.   

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It's exactly what's needed.

But you've gone about it completely the wrong way. 

"An old bull and a young bull stood at the top of a field, looking down at a herd of cows. Come on, let's run down there and **** one of those cows, said the young un. No son, let's walk down there and **** em all".

That's what you should have done.   

I dont think these young bulls have any cows to lead mate. Unlike years ago where hundreds would go where they liked due to the shout in the Hen and Chicken. 

Edited by Three Lions

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Is it the club that relax the no-standing rule, or one of those health and safety groups that insist on some lights being left on during the game?

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

The same safe standing that was supposed to include the entire lower Dolman and upper South Stand?  While people wanted it, it was promised as part of the build, and was a key promise to rugby fans when the move to Ashton Gate was put forward. 

We don't know unless anyone on here has info to the contrary, what would have been deemed acceptable to the SAG and probably more football specific, the SGSA.

The club can promise it from their perspective but we don't know If standing up a side stand would have been deemed acceptable to said authorities.

45 minutes ago, Olé said:

The stewards already expect to see season tickets / tickets when entering upper A/B blocks from the stairs even minutes before KO. This is the first season they've been doing it and it's a right pain in the proverbial.

I’ve had to show my ticket to get in “Section 82” since that area opened. Just saying :) 

1 hour ago, Super said:

You simply can't stand in a seated area and block the views of people who have bought tickets already and want to sit.

Super, I know you cannot do that, they are not going to congregate in E34 to sit down and sing are they . I believe the aim is to replicate what happened on Sunday and that was stood for 90 minutes having banter with away fans . 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TomF said:

Reminds me of when the middle of the Atyeo split and H Block was created.  It did in some sense work well.  Not saying this A block idea is good or bad but the safety advisory group could very quickly close it down. I think some fans forget they dictate a lot of policy to the club that they either adhere to or risk having areas shut down.

I don't buy all this 'the atmosphere is poor because people are sat in x block' and because the club have sanitised the areas etc. It's because the football on display is uninspiring and has been for a number of years, it goes back to the end of the LJ era.  Remember when we were on a roll with GJ, Cotts and even those play off semi's with Wilson. The atmosphere all over the ground was good because the fans had something to get behind.  Improve the stuff on the pitch and the atmosphere will follow. 

I mostly agree with your 1st paragraph especially about what we have to adhere to. Big elephant in the room that some fans seem to be overlooking or pushing down a bit.

On the pitch can definitely influence it, even individual games e.g. v Watford as the players were visibly hard at it, crowd got into it and two fed off each other. Can think of other examples to the contrary- v Luton we were excellent in August, early goal and well on top- crowd were IMO pretty quiet considering. I do though it's something intangible think that some livelier fans in closer proximity to the away fans helps.

41 minutes ago, TomF said:

Reminds me of when the middle of the Atyeo split and H Block was created.  It did in some sense work well.  Not saying this A block idea is good or bad but the safety advisory group could very quickly close it down. I think some fans forget they dictate a lot of policy to the club that they either adhere to or risk having areas shut down.

I don't buy all this 'the atmosphere is poor because people are sat in x block' and because the club have sanitised the areas etc. It's because the football on display is uninspiring and has been for a number of years, it goes back to the end of the LJ era.  Remember when we were on a roll with GJ, Cotts and even those play off semi's with Wilson. The atmosphere all over the ground was good because the fans had something to get behind.  Improve the stuff on the pitch and the atmosphere will follow. 

Sitting or standing in a different area can alter how people feel. The feel and gloom of the East End did that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wealwayseatcheese said:

I believe the aim is to replicate what happened on Sunday and that was stood for 90 minutes having banter with away fans . 

So it's nothing to do with supporting the team, then. It's just a chance to be closer to the away fans and call them w*nkers. Mint. 

• Like 1

We’ll I’m getting a bit long in the tooth now,but have been considering moving back to A/B block,if others from the corner section want to move there in numbers all the better,now where did I store my Pringle jumpers and Los jeans.

2 hours ago, lenred said:

Not being argumentative but why do fans need to ask the club where they sit? The club have done absolutely nothing to foster a good atmosphere so let the fans do it organically and as long as they aren’t hurting anyone there is no problem? 

They don’t need to ask the club where they can sit, provided they have a ticket for the seat they are sitting in. However, it’s probable those who move on Saturday will stand, blocking the view of those sitting. Result - lots of agro 

2 hours ago, Super said:

Surely the people already there can't choose who else are in there? As long as they are sat down and don't block view of others what harm are they doing?

See above - probability of standing v sitting = agro 

• Like 1

I did notice at the Swansea game that quite a few people left S82 at half time and joined A Block, which did help the atmosphere a lot (that and the fact we actually started playing football in the second half!)

I'm all for the idea and if anything would happily join them as its a nightmare getting tickets in S82 unless it's a cup game. 

I take all the points re policing, upsetting season ticket holders in A block (I am one and do enjoy my seat currently), but I guess the issue is we as a fan base have been met with brick walls and dismissiveness whenever the topic of atmosphere has been brought up in recent years. It’s a ‘there’s yer lot’ attitude regarding Section 82, I think the club may genuinely believe that they’ve gone above and beyond with that area to assist atmosphere, and I don’t really believe they’ve been sat around in candle lit rooms plotting how to rid the scallies for Barber coated Bears’ fans and make Ashton Gate a library. 

But… it has been their inability to listen to concerns around the atmosphere over the last few years that was inevitably going to lead to something like this at some point. I believe the last time it was brought up in an interview (around S82 expansion on RB) the chuckling line from Gould was ‘no, they’ll complain whatever we do’. 

The fanbase would not get anywhere going through official lines, their best hope is to organically arrange something, be a little persistent, yes probably upset a few, show what a difference it makes and work with the club there on after. The PR of banning hundreds of supporters or going way overboard to stop it, perhaps shutting down A Block, would be awful compared to simply listening to concerns. 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
  • Like 1

I am also long in the tooth and used to get a buzz as a youngster, stood towards the south end of the enclosure listening to the chants behind the goal. I can remember though when some moved to the Dolman and to me it just seemed to dilute the atmosphere as the singing element was then split between the 2 parts of the ground.

Humble apologies for my ignorance in recent times but why were the singers moved to the corner after the redevelopment? It feels like somewhere you would place visiting fans.

8 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

They don’t need to ask the club where they can sit, provided they have a ticket for the seat they are sitting in. However, it’s probable those who move on Saturday will stand, blocking the view of those sitting. Result - lots of agro 

See above - probability of standing v sitting = agro 

When this was mooted a few days back i looked at the seats available just out of interest and there were hundreds.  Barely any taken at all. But get the point.  Hopefully it is respectful though of course and is carried out with a spirit of working together for the team who sure as heck could do with an improved atmosphere.   

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I mostly agree with your 1st paragraph especially about what we have to adhere to. Big elephant in the room that some fans seem to be overlooking or pushing down a bit.

On the pitch can definitely influence it, even individual games e.g. v Watford as the players were visibly hard at it, crowd got into it and two fed off each other. Can think of other examples to the contrary- v Luton we were excellent in August, early goal and well on top- crowd were IMO pretty quiet considering. I do though it's something intangible think that some livelier fans in closer proximity to the away fans helps.

Save yourself the aggro Mr. P, just assume when people write ‘the club’ they mean the whole organisation who influence things like this - inclusive of SAG. It’s just shorthand.

It’s not worth mansplaining the same point over and over.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1