IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not true. Correct placement combined with on pitch success and proximity to away fans will lead to better atmosphere.

Proximity to away fans doesn’t lead to better atmosphere, it leads to a nasty atmosphere. People who just want to make an enthusiastic noise in a group can do it anywhere - those getting as close as possible to the way fans are just looking to cause conflict.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 4

49 minutes ago, phantom said:

Based on what?

Out support have been all around the ground the past few years, nothing changes

07/08 the atmosphere was fantastic in virtually all of our home games. I didn’t miss a home game that season in the East End and although the numbers in their were quite small especially at the start of that season the atmosphere was consistently good.

Obviously we were winning games and battling at the top end of this division so naturally it was always going to be good however i feel the East End that season made the difference. Having the vocal support right on top of the away fans without a doubt helped. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Proximity to away fans doesn’t lead to better atmosphere, it leads to a nasty atmosphere. People who just want to make an enthusiastic noise in a group can do it anywhere - those getting as close as possible to the way fans are just looking to cause conflict.

So true

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Leveller said:

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

So true

I don't know if this is true however, at a lot of grounds okay maybe I'm out of date the proximity between livelier home fans and away fans isn't so big as at AG. Reading for example home and away fans with the appropriate segregation share a stand. Millwall is a bit different but their livelier fans are at at a side stand, whereas the away fans are in the top tier- presumably on police/SAG advice?

Swansea had some fans standing to our left last season?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

16 hours ago, phantom said:

Without wanting to be really negative about this "the singing" section will have now been in practically every location in the ground, it always comes back to positioning, acoustics etc etc

Yes funny that. I remember when the singing section was moved to the LHS of the Atyeo. Decent atmosphere for a couple of games and then everyone started blaming the slope of the roof for the poor noise levels. Roof doesn't seem to affect the away fans does it?

Having said that whenever the Dolman is up for it, there can be a hell of a noise in there and when everyone is jumping........

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Is that a bad thing? Thought we wanted to make Ashton Gate a tough place for away teams to play?

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A good example of this is the 07/08 season. Atmosphere was consistently good. All the considerations I’ve mentioned were in place at the time.

Would've been exactly the same in 14/15 were it not for the rebuild and that proves my point.

I had a Season ticket in EE in 09/10 and I can tell you although the football wasn't great the atmosphere was 10 times better than any home atmosphere at today's home games.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Is that a bad thing? Thought we wanted to make Ashton Gate a tough place for away teams to play?

How does creating aggression towards opposition fans make it a tough place to play ? Might have the opposite effect.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

This. Some of the best atmospheres I can remember at AG has been when there is some needle. 

As SC once said 'When our home fans have an atmosphere like that (Swindon home game 14/15) teams can't win here'. That said game against Swindon was on of the most hostile and best atmosphere's AG has had probably since it became an all seater stadium - and we only had 3 stands that day.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Anyone wanting to go in A block but doesn't have a ticket for there will surely just go up one of the other Dolman block entrances where they don't check tickets and then walk along the top to reach A block?

I was stood at the back on Sunday and must have had 40/50 people walk along to reach A block. 

This sort of thing works once or twice but, once it becomes obvious, it gets stopped. The club isn’t going to allow large numbers of people moving from a cheaper area to a more expensive area on a regular  basis 

44 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Yes funny that. I remember when the singing section was moved to the LHS of the Atyeo. Decent atmosphere for a couple of games and then everyone started blaming the slope of the roof for the poor noise levels. Roof doesn't seem to affect the away fans does it?

Having said that whenever the Dolman is up for it, there can be a hell of a noise in there and when everyone is jumping........

The atyeo was poor because just like now our fans were just shoved in a small corner . The only reason away fans now make loads of noise is because they get to stand all across the atyeo .(

10 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

The atyeo was poor because just like now our fans were just shoved in a small corner . The only reason away fans now make loads of noise is because they get to stand all across the atyeo .(

I totally understand the sentiment but I am wondering how large some kind of 'Safe Standing' or and I dislike the term 'Singing Section' in home areas we are allowed to give.

Standing fans make more noise as an average and frequency wise and secondly they have a tendency to stand as a greater percentage. It is easier weirdly despite the numbers because of season tickets etc to get home fans as a whole to be seated than away fans who are there once a year- unwritten rule away fans a lot of them often stand although surprisingly some City away games I went to pre Covid more were persistently seated than I would have assumed would be.

Am unsure this is true but point taken, maybe I'm out of touch slightly but there was a story I saw about Sheffield United and persistent standing and their SAG got pissy lately. Of course it could be bluff a threat to reduce capacity due ti persistent standing but it was a threat referenced in 2019.

Burnley made a statement on it in August, about to read it  now.

Plus.

2 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Realistically you don’t need safe standing . 90 percent of clubs have a whole end of fans stood up with no safe standing but then again we are a massive soft touch .

Dont mind it personally

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don’t think that’s true necessarily although fairly common for big Prem clubs for some reason.

Yes. I skimread a thread about Persistent Standing elsewhere a Leeds fan basically said that their club has been ignoring the SGSA on this for about 5 years.

That is probably a bit of poetic license but a lot seem to stand there without issue.

Maybe enforcement is a bit of a paper tiger in terms of capacity reduction or areas of ground being shut. Maybe. (The obvious 10 pct of block for unreserved seating aside).

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Am unsure this is true but point taken, maybe I'm out of touch slightly but there was a story I saw about Sheffield United and persistent standing and their SAG got pissy lately. Of course it could be bluff a threat to reduce capacity due ti persistent standing but it was a threat referenced in 2019.

Burnley made a statement on it in August, about to read it  now.

Plus.

And three of the five people in the photo are standing!!

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And three of the five people in the photo are standing!!

Am assuming that is pre game or after a 'moment of excitement'. However I wonder what happens if enough fans call the bluff of the SAG and or SGSA. Long term it would need to be done legit but I wonder if the purportedly dire consequences would in reality be so dire.

As in are threats of capacity reduction in fact credible, or is it to some extent scaremongering.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It sounds like as EA and others suggest they might be doing it through legitimate channels but it could be interesting Saturday?

It’s legitimate to officially move seats, if done through official channels, as has been said. The problem is the club has only sanctioned standing in the Dolman / South Stand corner. If those that move unilaterally decide to stand in amongst those that want to sit, then it really could be interesting 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Am assuming that is ore fame or after a 'moment of excitement'. However I wonder what happens if enough fans call the bluff of the SAG and or SGSA. Long term it would need to be done legit but I wonder if the purportedly dire consequences would in reality be so dire.

I’m guessing that (with some justification) a club wouldn’t really want to test that.

They’d pick up a lot of fines on the way, and the risk then moves to closing parts of the ground? Not a risk worth taking.

Some of the comments suggest that these two were offered seats in another part of the ground where they’d have been allowed to stand for longer (most of the game) and if that’s the case then Ive got even less sympathy for them.