IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

All I said was that the proposed noise didn't come over on Robin's TV. Others I know who attended the game said the same from the Lansdown. If you want to sing then sing and good luck to you. I frankly dont give a crap. You can sing Boyzones greatest hits for all I care. Remember though that not everybody shows their support in the same way, however they pay their £30 odd entry fee in the same way you do. It doesn't make them any less a fan.

I thought it came through on tv really clearly 

• Like 2

Just now, harrys said:

Couldn’t make it today so can’t make a personal comment, listened to NP interview after the game though who praised the fans and the atmosphere which is a rarity so something was certainly different !!!

I had a different feel to it certainly.  Big crowd, raucous atmosphere and a team giving it their all.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I had a different feel to it certainly.  Big crowd, raucous atmosphere and a team giving it their all.  

As Turtle above said… felt like the stadium had its soul back. Hopefully from this day forward no more more soft, rollover Ashton Gate, we aren’t and never have been that sort of club, just taken us a while to find our feet after the redevelopment

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Yes, thought so too. There was a good atmosphere v Watford in November but these differed- that was reacting to what was on the pitch, this though was noisy from the first minute, the Red Army chants begun around kick-off time loud and clear.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I’m happy this happened and I genuinely think there should be an initiative for fans to move their season tickets over to there next season - which would prevent the overcrowding issues some regulars in there have mentioned. 

However, regards the actual atmosphere itself, this is the funny/strange anomaly of Ashton Gate. 
I now sit in the family stand these days, and am pretty much equidistant to S82 and the away fans. 
In recent games there’s not been a great deal of noise arising from S82. 
Today, all I heard was S82. I didn’t actually hear the A Blockers at all - only once, in the 2nd half singing east end arising. 
S82 were definitely louder than they’ve been for a couple of months - which was obviously minus the 300 who’d moved. 
As I say, it’s an anomaly with Ashton Gate. The guys in A Block were clearly singing - I could see all the gestures associated with the songs, but I couldn’t actually hear it from the upper Lansdown. 
Atmos was good today. And as I say, S82 were louder than usual. There was clearly a positive impact by this move. 
All I’d say is - move there properly in the summer renewals and make it a proper permanent atmospheric place. 

Same here from s20, looked packed and you could tell they were singing but I couldn’t hear them - definitely poor ground acoustics 

I’ve sat in Block A for years, fortunately near the back, so had no issue accessing my seat today, but I do feel for some of the others in that block who couldn’t access their normal seat today. 

I thought largely the Block A atmosphere was as good as it’s been for a while, and that’s as quiet as I’ve seen Birmingham for years - mostly down to the football I’d guess - but I think having a louder presence close to the away fans would have had an affect. I think E34 would have been better had the away fans been louder mind.
I’d be all for having a singing section in E34 permanently, as long as it’s done properly.

It did wind me up a bit seeing a few mouthy little goggle-hood wearing sh1ts sending each other the same electronic ticket to avoid being moved… like I say, do it, but properly.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, thought so too. There was a good atmosphere v Watford in November but these differed- that was reacting to what was on the pitch, this though was noisy from the first minute, the Red Army chants begun around kick-off time loud and clear.

Us fans don't realise how much we can make a difference to the team's performance. I know the players need to give us something to cheer about but together we can make such a difference atmosphere at the gate .coyr

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Did you read the article I linked to? The author lives in Italy and has researched and written a book on the Ultras.

Let's just say there are elements of Ultra culture we wouldn't ideally want to aspire to. Though I don't think the phenomenon ever got embedded in English football anyway.

Yeah I read the article, Italian ultras are clearly the worst and ultras in this country are no way comparable IMHO - in this country we seem to stick to the ideals of ultras (displays, pyro and vocal support) whereas in Italy it seems to sometimes morph into something like super organised hooligans but generally with the Italians they're generally not trying to cause violence and racism, it happens but it's not common. I would say that due to its organised nature when it is violent or racist then it's very violent or loudly and obviously racist which gets the story (as it should).

9 minutes ago, bs22 red said:

Us fans don't realise how much we can make a difference to the team's performance. I know the players need to give us something to cheer about but together we can make such a difference atmosphere at the gate .coyr

Positive vocal support always lifts a side IMO. Don't see how it can be in doubt, definitely think it helped today.

Clearly a real great effort was made and it looked really good, I sat in corner by Heineken sign and genuinely only actually heard them twice, maybe 3 times, but like I say was clear that area was giving it a go 

s82 put a real effort in and fair play as clearly missing some numbers 

weird old place Ashton gate when it comes to acoustics 

• Like 2

Middle of Dolman. 
Certainly not a wall of noise from A block but did hear them from time to time. 

It was very different to have the crowd generating and starting songs from my left and right today. 

Main takeaway? Am fine for the fans to do stuff to improve the atmosphere. Just don’t be a ?head about it and think your opinion or experience is any more important than that of someone who just wants to sit in a Block A seat and watch the game. 

Edited by tommy_b
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

Sorry but BigTone said ultras "generally refers to those with violent and racist ideals". This is wrong they generally refer to organised groups that use flares (primarily in tifo choreography), vocal support in large groups and the displaying of banners at football stadiums.

hooligans generally refers to those with violent ideals and racists tends to refer to those with racist ideals.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Did you read the article I linked to? The author lives in Italy and has researched and written a book on the Ultras.

Let's just say there are elements of Ultra culture we wouldn't ideally want to aspire to. Though I don't think the phenomenon ever got embedded in English football anyway.

I’ve never read Tobias Jones’ book on Ultras: I kept meaning to but have never got round to it. His book about a year following Hellas Verona is good.

I think it’s impossible to characterise Italian Ultras in a paragraph or two. It’s too complicated! There’s certainly a common political ideology at the heart of many Ultra groups, but it’s not invariably right wing. Livorno are famously left wing and there was a large left wing group at Milan for years. 

Those affiliations will often lead to affiliations between the supporters of different clubs, so the extent to which fan on fan violence happens depends on who plays who. And more often the violence is directed at, for example, the police rather than opposing fans. I don’t think I’ve ever seen police in the Curva Nord at Lazio, and if they venture anywhere near the front of it they’ll be met with a barrage of smoke bombs and flares!

Their focus is certainly on supporting the club, although they can do that in lots of different and sometimes extreme ways.  A couple of years ago those Livorno Ultras - upset with the way the club was being run - planted three crosses and a pigs head on the pitch one night, along with some fairly explicit threats to the owners.

At the same time, some groups will be very focused on organised events and displays for the club, while others become real organised crime gangs. And on occasion with some dodgy links to the club administration itself. 

Hugely varied….but they can put on some fantastic “coreografia” which is really spectacular! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Season ticket holder in B block for years so here goes.

Well done to all in A block today its just what we needed and actually could turn us around. 

It helped to make a good atmosphere  and I'm sure lift the players, im sorry if this interference affected your ability to sleep during the game but we needed something like this to happen.

Up the City

• Like 9

As an old Eastender and season ticket holder of over 40 years I loved today !!

Noise from the old A Block Dolman amazing!! 

Full of passion!

Best bit the wind up to Brum fans on their “big day away”

Must keep this up because the players and staff love it  

We are far to good to go down and if us fans can create that sort of that atmosphere every game we won’t go down 

Max O Leary punching the air at the Dolman when our 4th went it was class  

Keep it up chaps

Onwards and Upwards 

?⚪?

• Like 6

Can't be arsed to read all the pages before but just wanted to add my view as a long time a block season ticket holder....

Had to kick a few lads out of our seats. They were reluctant to leave but did eventually. 

Had to stand the whole match as otherwise I couldn't see. My mates young son probably missed most the match because of all the standing.

But really enjoyed the atmosphere and I think the players responded too...

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Up the city!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Rubbish. All the factors being discussed contributed. 

Then again you were one of those who was fairly negative about it so you’re probably a bit annoyed that it worked.

As far as I’m concerned, the only worthwhile atmosphere arises organically from exciting football. Silly songs from a bunch of juveniles don’t interest me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Leveller said:

As far as I’m concerned, the only worthwhile atmosphere arises organically from exciting football. Silly songs from a bunch of juveniles don’t interest me.

Well then you clearly don’t understand it. Good job we have fans like those that give it a go in the Dolman and S82 otherwise AG would be a morgue.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Yet here you are.

Dry your eyes, and take the L

Edited by Barrs Court Red
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Several posters absolutely desperate for it to be underwhelming for some reason.

What’s great is that it’s younger fans behind it. Good for them taking initiative. 

Aye, it’s really sad. Bad enough one is allowed to post after posting racist content.

Fair play to the young lads, we did similar in Williams E block back in the day and it was a catalyst at the time, despite the clubs best efforts to shut it down. I hope these guys spark things too.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Aye, it’s really sad. Bad enough one is allowed to post after posting racist content.

Fair play to the young lads, we did similar in Williams E block back in the day and it was a catalyst at the time, despite the clubs best efforts to shut it down. I hope these guys spark things too.

Same. It’s particularly good to see its young lads because despite the club’s best efforts to make things as tame as possible at AG - clearly the desire for better still exists.

And yes - it’s amazing the arrogant pub bore got away with it.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

Today proved that there is far more demand for standing areas than the club are currently willing to accommodate. 1000 seats shoved away in a corner doesn’t cut it.

If the club had any sense, or desire to generate atmosphere at Ashton Gate the entirety of block A would be turned into safe standing, along with the current corner, which would avoid all of the issues today with people having to stand on the stairs and unable to get to their seats. Anyone who currently has a season ticket in block A (not many at all, 100 max), could easily be reallocated to another Dolman block should they wish to do so.

It could be done for next season but unfortunately I think this is the exact thing the club will be desperate to stamp out.

• Like 1