IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

6 minutes ago, Selred said:

The issue with S82 is the sound doesn't travel well. The stadium has not been designed to be a nosey atmospheric ground, which is a shame.

I do think having 2x singing sections, A Block and S82 is a good idea, spreads the noise and means more people in Dolman will also join in.

There's now the new family section of the Lansdown, as well as plenty of other blocks for people who despise singing to sit in.

A welcome addition, but needs to be done right. I hope the new CEO can play a major role in this.

I’m glad somebody has raised this point. We have a 27,000 seater stadium that at present we very rarely sell out.

Let’s be honest there are literally thousands of empty seats all over the stadium that can cater for familys or people who want to enjoy watching football sat in silence.

People pay their money and are entitled to watch the game in which ever way they want however let’s not pretend that we don’t have a stadium that is more than big enough to offer EVERYONE the choice. It just needs some organisation and dialogue between the club and fans. It should be in theory fairly straightforward IMO.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm not saying it is...just pointing out the obvious. 

It will lead to more than just banter though. Imo.

Well I dont agree because other clubs seem to handle it alright, our fans are no different to typical clubs.

Look at other grounds and the levels or otherwise of segregation.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Given we are talking about opposition supporters literally being in different stands, I struggle to see how they could object. Rival fans are often separated by a line of stewards up and down the country.

I am inclined to agree but ours feel highly, excessively risk averse.

Although maybe it is the club conveniently using them if they ever have, as they're not interested anyway- I'm open minded about who is the main party pushing the excessive measures here.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well I dont agree because other clubs seem to handle it alright, our fans are no different to typical clubs.

Look at other grounds and the levels or otherwise of segregation.

That's fine...we can agree to disagree.

Were talking about BCFC remember.☺️

The Club, Police will step in someway or another. They'll inforce sitting down and make it impossible for those intent on standing and creating ' hostility' between fans. 

1 minute ago, spudski said:

The Club, Police will step in someway or another. They'll inforce sitting down and make it impossible for those intent on standing and creating ' hostility' between fans. 

Yeah, agree to disagree on this bit.

Inclined to agree on thst last bit as to how it might play out- and that will create aggravation, but I believe that some of that aggravation should it arise will be at least in part down to the club/police and their methods of enforcement.

I am struggling to see a solution that everyone will be happy with.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spudski said:

What exactly can they do? Contrary to reports the club anticipated this happening on Saturday, there was two police and a steward on the concourse entry to the section and four stewards checking tickets above the stairs. You simply can’t control a crowd that large on mass without excessive force and they are hardly going to bring in the riot gear are they?

Shut A Block down all together? Perhaps, but I doubt the long term season ticket holders will be particularly happy with that either. 

11 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Club are planning to come down on this later today with a statement. Expected, but hopefully not too dismissive or divisive. 

Quite frankly if it's anything other than  offering E34 ST holders a free seat move elsewhere then the club can F right off

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

What exactly can they do? Contrary to reports the club anticipated this happening on Saturday, there was two police and a steward on the concourse entry to the section and four stewards checking tickets above the stairs. You simply can’t control a crowd that large on mass without excessive force and they are hardly going to bring in the riot gear are they?

Shut A Block down all together? Perhaps, but I doubt the long term season ticket holders will be particularly happy with that either. 

We'll soon find out I'm sure. The club don't want anything of hostility. They don't want a hostile atmosphere. They prefer it as it is. They are obviously happy with the ' singing section and it being far away from the opposition fans. 

They want to promote a family club. 

With a ' family atmosphere '.

That's how I see it. 

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

That's a long line of stewards

Yeah one per row, plus the usual on the vomitories and some down the front I imagine but it can be done.

Indeed at Ashton Gate with the reopening of the East End to home fans we had away fans in the same stand, separated by stewards. Likewise the Atyeo during hear 1 or 2 of the rebuild, feasible surely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

We'll soon find out I'm sure. The club don't want anything of hostility. They don't want a hostile atmosphere. They prefer it as it is. They are obviously happy with the ' singing section and it being far away from the opposition fans. 

They want to promote a family club. 

With a ' family atmosphere '.

That's how I see it. 

What they want and what they may get are two different things. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

What they want and what they may get are two different things. 

This has all happened before albeit in different ways. Mid 2000's Dolman Block G springs to mind- a difference there is that season tickets or brought in that Block as it wasn't joined up as it is now- whereas moving between is easier because 3 Stands adjoined.

Dare say you know this but not everyone reading might. Dunno how they dealt with it then.

I still think the Atyeo should be divided half away and half home, get rid of those stupid black sheets that go from halfway up the Atyeo to the goal as well, looks tinpot. We must be one of the only clubs in the Country who are really concerned about two sets of fans being in close proximity.

Spurs vs Arsenal yesterday was divided by stewards.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I still think the Atyeo should be divided half away and half home, get rid of those stupid black sheets that go from halfway up the Atyeo to the goal as well, looks tinpot. We must be one of the only clubs in the Country who are really concerned about two sets of fans being in close proximity.

Spurs vs Arsenal yesterday was divided by stewards.

But also enforced seating, you sit in your ticketed seat. Would we go for being in the same stand but having to sit in a designated seat?

35 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

We shall see. The general theme of your posts on this thread have been fairly negative towards the idea anyway so its of no surprise that you are just assuming the club will want to squash this idea.

I'm not negative...I'm just being realistic. I see how the club operate.

The only thing I want, is fellow fans to respect one another and don't take liberties.

I'm all for banter between opposing fans.

I'm just aware that it often escalates. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pezo said:

But also enforced seating, you sit in your ticketed seat. Would we go for being in the same stand but having to sit in a designated seat?

Well at Reading they have some of their livelier fans standing of course, in the same stand as away end.

Were they sat persistently though- surely Tottenham's ground has an area where fans persistently stand (permitted or not).

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Is it not your cause also? Surely we all want a better atmosphere at AG

Yes but the attitude towards other supporters does not help. These supporters have paid their hard earned money also and deserve some respect. I sincerely hope he is not part of the negotiating team.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Yes but the attitude towards other supporters does not help. These supporters have paid their hard earned money also and deserve some respect. I sincerely hope he is not part of the negotiating team.

I think it is respectful really. The root cause of any issues is ultimately the club. They didn’t think through a location for vocal fans/away fans and the solution they’ve provided is inadequate.

Had they thought it through and done what most normal clubs do in the first place (home fans behind both goals, away fans tucked away in a corner) there wouldn’t be any issues.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it is respectful really. The root cause of any issues is ultimately the club. They didn’t think through a location for vocal fans/away fans and the solution they’ve provided is inadequate.

Had they thought it through and done what most normal clubs do in the first place (home fans behind both goals, away fans tucked away in a corner) there wouldn’t be any issues.

The timing of all this is wrong. It should have been discussed in the last close season with the club or now most likely the next. Rest assured nothing will change now but maybe a solution can be agreed for next season. All fans need to respected but I dont see that when someone says all ST holders in that block can piss off. What gives him the right ?

• Like 8

This friction between the manner in which two demographics want to behave when they attend a football match is why I spent so much time earlier in the thread imploring those that move to do it in accordance with the Club's terms and conditions. I didn't mention it at the time, but of course that implicitly includes behaving in accordance with the normal behaviour of block E34. So sitting, not standing (unless at the very back row I guess), obviously not taking a seat that is already paid for by an ST holder or single match ticket holder - and politely moving if you do so in error.

However, it's clear that the manner in which the "movers" wanted to behave was largely incompatible with the normal behaviour expected by the usual occupants of E34 and of the Club.

The boat has been rocked, waves have been created, and someone is going to have to steady the ship. What course the ship lands on after that process will determine how E34 looks going forward.

I suspect that realistically nothing will change this season. Perhaps the off-season, under the new CEO, will be the time to revisit this.

• Like 8

Unfortunately for the club and ALL fans involved this is happening at this stage of the season, mid season. 

Naturally fans who have been SEATED there for years want to continue to be there. They are there for a reason, like many of us they probably have got to know people around them, they like the view and it suits them.

Some of them are possibly happy that masses of singers have joined them and in doing so have added to the atmosphere and 'allowed' standing. But on the other hand many do not choose to stand and have had this choice taken from them.

Why should they (E34 ST holders) have to move mid season? That seems unfair for them to be forced out. I had an elderly man and his son sitting near me on Saturday. He was a ST holder in E34 and saw the stuff on social media leading up to the game. He moved from there to seats near me at the other end of the Dolman as he could predict there would be trouble, other fans either didn't know or took the chance. He was concerned as it was his first seat move and only had 2 more left, and then what should he do. The poor bloke was quite upset.

I think the club underestimated the number of fans wanting to go in there and it seems they just about lost control judging by many comments about overcrowding etc. many people had tickets for other areas of the ground or had seat swopped one ticket and shared screenshots multiple times.

I don't know what the answer is mid season as I said. possibly the club will not sell tickets in that block or allow swops? Possibly they will ask people to come forward who want to be moved out of it for the rest of the season?

Maybe next season if E34 is still a 'thing' then all ST holders will be 'evicted' from there and we start again. Just like what happened when the singers were given the Williams at cheap rates during the redevelopment?

The only people i have seen really happy about this are the people who were left in S18. There seems to always be a bit of conflict between singing groups and those that were left seemed less in numbers but doubled in voice and effort.

Sorry, didn't mean for this to be such an essay, well done if you stuck with me till the end!

• Like 9