IGNORED

Sykes at RW

OliOTIB

Thought he was superb, even if you don't include the two goals (gotta be there to score them!) thought the freedom the 433 gave him allowed him to actually have a go at the backline. Looked a completely different player to the one we saw in the reverse fixture

• Like 2

I don't see how anyone could think he was poor, the work he went through was excellent, I didn't think his crossing was too bad, @Davefevsprobably give us stats on that, but he used a variety of passes to get the ball into the box and made a couple of driving runs into the area too, one got us a free kick on the edge of the box.

To me the tap ins were his reward for getting into areas that Weimann doesn't seem to be getting into as a often this season.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Where did he play at Oxford? CM was one position, did he play RW/RM? I know RWB seemed to be quite a new position for him.

Transfermarkt is brilliant for this sort of stuff, not only gives appearances split between starts & sub, but position & assists.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

CAM a lot to start with, then more RW, then towards end of his time at Oxford, at RWB.

LM a bit too, think he said in his interview after signing he played in “7 or 8” different positions last season.

With a smaller squad I think his versatility was a factor in us signing him, along with being out of contract & affordable wages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, James54De said:

Didn’t think it was a great performance from him, and the two back post tap ins don’t hide that.

Score two goals and you don’t have to do a great deal else imo! Tap-ins are just as much a goal as a thirty yard volley remember. 

Worked hard in defence too helping Tanner. 

28 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

What you mean one good game in three years?

Pretty much.

24 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Other than being blonde and playing wide I can't see any similarities. 

Woolford was all running and terrible technique, sykes is a lot tidier on the ball and a hell of a lot more clever in his movements. 

As others have said, Good performance but the end product needs to improve. Would love to see a heat map of his positions yesterday within that 433. 

You’ve just named 2.

9 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Really? I’m sure OTIB told me RWB was a new position for me when he was playing there at the start of this season! 

Nope, Oxford switched to a back 3 last season and he moved to RWB.

(or were you being sarcastic?)

FWIW when he was playing no10 pre-season, he did get interviewed and say it was a different “position” but the wording he used was more relevant to being asked to play that position differently, e.g. lots of runs forward, looking to roll his man, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Nope, Oxford switched to a back 3 last season and he moved to RWB.

(or were you being sarcastic?)

FWIW when he was playing no10 pre-season, he did get interviewed and say it was a different “position” but the wording he used was more relevant to being asked to play that position differently, e.g. lots of runs forward, looking to roll his man, etc.

Maybe slightly, but I was not aware that he had experience of playing there in the past! It’s not like OTIB to not tell the truth! ?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Here’s a thought. If we keep this formation when Weimann returns, where does he play? Appreciate it’s a squad game and selection varies for a variety of reasons game to game, but this formation worked a treat (and IMO made us look a lot more dangerous), yet I can’t believe Pearson would leave him out?

On the right for Sykes, which admittedly isn’t his best position. Or behind the striker in a more offensive set up.

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

On the right for Sykes, which admittedly isn’t his best position. Or behind the striker in a more offensive set up.

See I think after yesterday Sykes has to play there - we had so much more cutting edge I thought. So yes behind the striker but which of the midfield 3 do you leave out? If Scott goes it’s less of a problem but until then…

If it wasn’t for the 2 goals he’d have probably ranked as a 6/10 for me. 
Countless times he failed to deliver when in a good crossing position. Including one where he just passed it out of play! I may be wrong but I also think it was his poor decision which lead to their penalty, where I think he made a sloppy error which then resulted in their attack. 
I swear he probably looks really good in training, where they use dummies or manikins - he probably delivers an amazing cross. Problem is, when you’re up against an actual opponent, the defender has the ability to move a little bit and maybe even stick out a leg to block a cross. Sykes simply doesn’t work himself the extra half yard of space to whip the cross beyond the full back. 
2 goals - brilliant. And well done. 
Workrate - very good. Keep it up. 
Quality on the ball and delivery of cross - very poor. 
Sorry. 

• Like 4