IGNORED

Flares - again

italian dave

Just to complete the set, alongside standing v sitting….

The flare thrown by the Birmingham fans yesterday landed in the disabled section and hit one disabled fan on the head. Clever. 

Still….atmosphere, eh?

https://fanbanter.co.uk/birmingham-fans-condemned-after-incident-at-bristol-city-leaves-disabled-supporters-shaken/

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Just to complete the set, alongside standing v sitting….

The flare thrown by the Birmingham fans yesterday landed in the disabled section and hit one disabled fan on the head. Clever. 

Still….atmosphere, eh?

https://fanbanter.co.uk/birmingham-fans-condemned-after-incident-at-bristol-city-leaves-disabled-supporters-shaken/

We'd get a fine if our fans did that. Will Brum?

21 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

Well it's obvious,stewards not searching properly, and there is CCTV, 

The only way to stop flares being taken into the ground, apart from heavy punishments for those that throw them, is a full body search before supporters enter. You can’t blame stewards for not doing this as they aren’t required to do so. CCTV is  the best hope as it can, possibly, identify the perpetrators 

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

The only way to stop flares being taken into the ground, apart from heavy punishments for those that throw them, is a full body search before supporters enter. You can’t blame stewards for not doing this as they aren’t required to do so. CCTV is  the best hope as it can, possibly, identify the perpetrators 

I use to be a steward, yes you are required to search supporters before the enter the ground, that's there job, so it's obvious they are not doing it properly,

4 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

I use to be a steward, yes you are required to search supporters before the enter the ground, that's there job, so it's obvious they are not doing it properly,

Come off it - how many times has there been a full body search of supporters before a game? Imagine what it would involve during the winter. People opening their coats and then having a pat down of their body to ensure nothing is hidden. I’ve been going to the grown since the 60s and that has never happened. The closest was occasional I was asked to open my coat, which didn’t prove much as I could easily have had a concealed flare 

8 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Come off it - how many times has there been a full body search of supporters before a game? Imagine what it would involve during the winter. People opening their coats and then having a pat down of their body to ensure nothing is hidden. I’ve been going to the grown since the 60s and that has never happened. The closest was occasional I was asked to open my coat, which didn’t prove much as I could easily have had a concealed flare 

Clearly searching to that level can't work practically. The only way of stopping this is for good CCTV and very large punishments. Bans that aren't at all well enforced don't seem to do much either. If someone let one of these things off in Broadmead am sure the police would be involved and there would be criminal charges. Don't see why this should't be the case in a densely packed football stadium.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If you remember, they did briefly do pat down searches for about two games after that bloke blew himself up outside that Liverpool hospital.

Obviously, the thinking is terrorists* will only ever attack in the few weeks after another terror attack but after about a month, they'll get bored and everything will be safe again.

Of course, it actually made the matches more of a safety hazard because, even with the extra stewards the club hired, it led to bottlenecks and crowds building up outside the ground, rather than folks entering and taking their seats. 

* We know now that the bloke was just a nutter with seemingly no political or religious motivation.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

When I was a steward,it was a full body search,from top to bottom, feeling the hood on the jacket,down to the ankles,and woman stewards did the same to a female fan,

36 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Only time I can ever remember this was at the Etihad for our away cup game 4 or 5 years ago.

10 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

We'd get a fine if our fans did that. Will Brum?

Depends on whether or not this is as regular an occurrence for them as it was for us last season I guess.  I can't recall us being fined, but if we were then it will have been for multiple infractions I'm sure.

46 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

When I was a steward,it was a full body search,from top to bottom, feeling the hood on the jacket,down to the ankles,and woman stewards did the same to a female fan,

When and where were you a steward?  I've certainly never been subjected to that at the Gate and my wife, who was a steward for about 5 years until 2011 didn't have to perform that sort of search at all.

56 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Depends on whether or not this is as regular an occurrence for them as it was for us last season I guess.  I can't recall us being fined, but if we were then it will have been for multiple infractions I'm sure.

When and where were you a steward?  I've certainly never been subjected to that at the Gate and my wife, who was a steward for about 5 years until 2011 didn't have to perform that sort of search at all.

Too early, I was a steward 2012 -2016, had to retire due to a heart attack, it changed in 2012,  we had to do the same thing as premiership stewards did,

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It would be great if a safe version of them could be developed and allowed to be used because they do look good.

I also like the smell of pyro. I know they can be hazardous to some people though.

Or as we say when playing Birmingham, "I like the smell of pyro at 4.45pm. It smells like victory"

3 hours ago, Red-Al said:

Too early, I was a steward 2012 -2016, had to retire due to a heart attack, it changed in 2012,  we had to do the same thing as premiership stewards did,

I certainly was never subjected to a pat down before going through the turnstile....seems even then some stewards were doing their jobs while others couldn't be bothered I guess.  Thanks for clarifying though and hope the health has been good post 2016!