IGNORED

Owura Edwards

The Bard

Just thinking could we possibly bring him back from Ross County?  A wide forward who clearly didn't suit 3 5 2, but with injuries to 2 forwards plus the potential sale of another, and the switch of formation to one that suits him, he seems like an easy option to ensure a bit of squad depth.  Apparently done well in Scotland.  

29 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Just thinking could we possibly bring him back from Ross County?  A wide forward who clearly didn't suit 3 5 2, but with injuries to 2 forwards plus the potential sale of another, and the switch of formation to one that suits him, he seems like an easy option to ensure a bit of squad depth.  Apparently done well in Scotland.  

To be fair . Playing for Ross county is a long way off championship standard 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think his time with us is up.

Reckon he’ll be let go when his contract runs out this summer.

I think in normal times we’d have exercised his contract without a thought in the world, and waited to see what happens.

But I think we are more ruthless nowadays, so it’s a 50:50 for me.

I’d like to see him get a EFL loan second half of the season personally.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Percy Pig said:

I know you're a fan of Sam Bell, but I'm yet to see it at first team level, Surely Owura has a better physical skillset to impact from the bench this season? Pace and a bag of tricks? Especially if 433 becomes a thing, closest we've got on our books to Semenyo off the left? 

No, I’m not actually.  Posted a week or so ago that if I had go red on him making it at this level or black on him not making it I’d bet black at this moment in time.

I think my view is that I can imagine him and Tommy looking very comparable at age group level, all the way through, but in the cut and thrust of the championship, you need “edge”.  Conway would leave one on you if he had to, Bell wouldn’t.

Re Owura, I agree with what you’re saying.  The word from someone who had him at their club on loan was that he requires a lot of coaching from the sideline.  That is the bit he needs to improve on.

• Like 2

He’s on a season long loan.  Don’t know if there is a January recall clause.

Watched him on Sky v Rangers over Xmas.  Good on the ball, good movement going forwards, but tactically poor, got caught out several times sleeping when Rangers broke forwards.  The sort of player that would drive Nige crazy.  That said, could well benefit from the tough love applied to Cam Pring and Rob Atkinson.

IMHO there’s definitely a player in there, but time is running out to prove he’s championship standard.

Edited by Malago

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, I’m not actually.  Posted a week or so ago that if I had go red on him making it at this level or black on him not making it I’d bet black at this moment in time.

I think my view is that I can imagine him and Tommy looking very comparable at age group level, all the way through, but in the cut and thrust of the championship, you need “edge”.  Conway would leave one on you if he had to, Bell wouldn’t.

Re Owura, I agree with what you’re saying.  The word from someone who had him at their club on loan was that he requires a lot of coaching from the sideline.  That is the bit he needs to improve on.

NP would go nuts with him . He wants players capable of making their own decisions in play on the field 

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
I type shit

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I agree re Sam Bell, I thought he needed a lower league loan to toughen up a bit. No comparison to Conway at this time imo, but he's got abit of time on his side, he looks to be an intelligent player.

I've watched snippets of Edwards and remain unconvinced tbh. He'll probably have a career in pro football but it looks to me that his game awareness is lacking to get much higher than he is at, it may come in time, but City don't hang about to find out these days.

Maybe Tinnion/NP see something to hang on to in both players, they obviously know more than me

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I agree re Sam Bell, I thought he needed a lower league loan to toughen up a bit. No comparison to Conway at this time imo, but he's got abit of time on his side, he looks to be an intelligent player.

I've watched snippets of Edwards and remain unconvinced tbh. He'll probably have a career in pro football but it looks to me that his game awareness is lacking to get much higher than he is at, it may come in time, but City don't hang about to find out these days.

Maybe Tinnion/NP see something to hang on to in both players, they obviously know more than me

And me too

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The fact he couldn't score when put through for a one-on-one against a very tired and dispirited John Ruddy probably backs that up. 

Far too early to write the lad off (see Semenyo and others) but I'd bet black as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

I know you're a fan of Sam Bell, but I'm yet to see it at first team level, Surely Owura has a better physical skillset to impact from the bench this season? Pace and a bag of tricks? Especially if 433 becomes a thing, closest we've got on our books to Semenyo off the left? 

Agree lightweight at the moment.

53 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Ah fair, I thought you were big on Bell, seems we are once again aligned ?

There just seems to be something missing, like you say, edge perhaps. Maybe a bit of mass will help him handle the physicality of the pro game? 

I saw him up close at Swansea game, I’m surprised how much he has bulked up, now “more of a man’s physique than a boy” - if that makes sense?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I saw him up close at Swansea game, I’m surprised how much he has bulked up, now “more of a man’s physique than a boy” - if that makes sense?

It's probably safe to say that Saturday was the first time he has come on with the team in a pretty commanding position. It allowed him to play in a little more relaxed manner and I thought it was easily his best performance so far, including a "Pring like" run into the penalty area that nearly created a good chance. 

I think it showed that he is gaining confidence with every appearance and I think he will get more from 20 minute cameos here than he will on loan.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Having watched him a few times, despite your observation of him bulking up.............I do feel that he needs a bit more gym work on the weights to give him the required physical strength to withstand challenges?  He seems lightweight, and too easily shrugged off of the ball, I feel that he really needs to beef up a little to cope with the hustle and bustle of Championship football, he has just about all he needs to be a success, except   combativeness  and possibly strength of will? IMO.       

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Good way of putting it re: Sam Bell’s future. I’ve seen a couple of flashes of ability this season, but I’m reluctantly on black as well. 

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Having watched him a few times, despite your observation of him bulking up.............I do feel that he needs a bit more gym work on the weights to give him the required physical strength to withstand challenges?  He seems lightweight, and too easily shrugged off of the ball, I feel that he really needs to beef up a little to cope with the hustle and bustle of Championship football, he has just about all he needs to be a success, except   combativeness  and strength of will? IMO.       

Some of that comes from timing too.  Even the physical strikers can be pushed off the ball if they don’t time their ball control with positioning their body / planting their weight correctly.  Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying he’s nearing Akinfenya proportions, just surprised that he was more muscular than I thought.

Just now, firstdivision said:

Good way of putting it re: Sam Bell’s future. I’ve seen a couple of flashes of ability this season, but I’m reluctantly on black as well. 

Luckily I’ve had a little side-bet on red 20! ???

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

It's probably safe to say that Saturday was the first time he has come on with the team in a pretty commanding position. It allowed him to play in a little more relaxed manner and I thought it was easily his best performance so far, including a "Pring like" run into the penalty area that nearly created a good chance. 

I think it showed that he is gaining confidence with every appearance and I think he will get more from 20 minute cameos here than he will on loan.

Man, do I feel somewhat smug right now. :) 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And me too

:whistle:

Just now, Davefevs said:

I’m delighted. ???

As per my post, if I had to lump on now I’d say he won’t make it.  But development curves ain’t straight, hence I did say I had a side-bet ???

I'm made up for the kid - what a way to score your first goal for the senior team.

That will have given him so much confidence.

Hope he pushes on from here.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I'm made up for the kid - what a way to score your first goal for the senior team.

That will have given him so much confidence.

Hope he pushes on from here.

Nothing better than seeing homegrown players break through and make it.  I always think seeing them maje their debit gives the whole crowd a buzz.  

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nothing better than seeing homegrown players break through and make it.  I always think seeing them maje their debit gives the whole crowd a buzz.  

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I've only had a few ales!

It looks like the stuff you get when watching live TV with subtitles. I watched the EFL highlights the other night that way so as to not wake the wife, every time they mentioned Antoine it came up as Sub Menu. ?

• Haha 2