IGNORED

Sam Bell

1960maaan

Maybe not a statistically valid sample, but we seem to be doing reasonably well at persisting with the right players as they come through and being prepared to let some go. Think all of Zak, Cam, Antoine and Sam have not always looked like they’d make it, but we’ve persisted with them (maybe too many loans in some cases, but equally maybe that was needed) and now all 4 look - to varying degrees, as Sam still has a way to go - plausible Championship players. And of those from the youth set up that we’ve let go, not sure any are rocking the football world at a higher standard? Some good judgment shown by Tins in particular, but wider youth set up and first team coaching group as well. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Maybe not a statistically valid sample, but we seem to be doing reasonably well at persisting with the right players as they come through and being prepared to let some go. Think all of Zak, Cam, Antoine and Sam have not always looked like they’d make it, but we’ve persisted with them (maybe too many loans in some cases, but equally maybe that was needed) and now all 4 look - to varying degrees, as Sam still has a way to go - plausible Championship players. And of those from the youth set up that we’ve let go, not sure any are rocking the football world at a higher standard? Some good judgment shown by Tins in particular, but wider youth set up and first team coaching group as well. 

I’ve always been an advocate that if they’re close to being involved, try to keep them around.  I always use Freddie Hinds as my example.  Did he really need to go out on loan, or would he have been better / be one better shadowing Bobby Reid every day in training.  He might still have fallen by the wayside, but you never know what that might have done to him.

I still can’t believe how quickly Benarous developed into a first teamer…just from training with the first team.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve always been an advocate that if they’re close to being involved, try to keep them around.  I always use Freddie Hinds as my example.  Did he really need to go out on loan, or would he have been better / be one better shadowing Bobby Reid every day in training.  He might still have fallen by the wayside, but you never know what that might have done to him.

I still can’t believe how quickly Benarous developed into a first teamer…just from training with the first team.

It’s amazing to think how short time ago Freddie was, though I think that’s Hinds sight.. Maybe at the time sending every promising youngster out in loan to get him upto speed with Mens football was the plan back then, but now we have a manager who believes if they’re promising he will give them a real chance 

• Like 4

On 18/01/2023 at 10:04, ralphindevon said:

I watched Saikou Janneh a few times both for us and Torquay and never thought he’d make a championship player.

He's just signed for my team, AFC Wimbledon. What can we expect please?

Edit: Cancel that, I've just seen the other thread.

Edited by Yellow&Blue&Red