IGNORED

29 years ago today

glynriley

I remember the stadium announcer (the one that seemed to be there forever) having to ask us to leave the stadium as we celebrated so long after the final whistle. Also the sportsmanship of the Kop and the Liverpool fans in general was truly amazing.

I recall us being knocked out at home by lower division Torquay at home a few seasons before and police horses having to charge the City fans so that the Torquay fans could get out. 

7 hours ago, The turtle said:

Point of curiosity: did you really have to pay to see the 2nd game if had ticket for first (as commentator said) even at reduced prices? Seems crazy to me.

Or have i misunderstood that ?

Yes I’m sure that was the case, but the tickets for the 2nd game were greatly reduced

2 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

I was 12 at the time, I remember being led in the bath listening to the commentary on the radio! Suffice to say the bathroom was sodden when Tins scored! Hard to think that’ll be 30 years ago next year.

Sounds like the start of one of those safety adverts we had as kids.

Dont tell me you went out to a power station with a frisbee the next day.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The turtle said:

Same here: the first game was the same day as my best friends birthday party , i was fuming my dad made me go to the party.

Needless to say i sat in the corner listening to radio the whole of first game 

Anfield i just remember listening at home with my dad, going absolutely crazy twice. The time between goal and FT felt like an eternity 

Ha Ha that's dedication to be at a party and listen to the game.

I remember being at the game when the floodlights went out couldn't tell you anything about the game other then the floodlights going out that's all I remember

Have no memory of the next game at home. 

I'm so pleased my son who is 7 loves coming to games now and he can have some memories of his own tha's what it's all about.......Well hopefully anyway.

2 hours ago, Mattredrobin said:

Ha Ha that's dedication to be at a party and listen to the game.

I remember being at the game when the floodlights went out couldn't tell you anything about the game other then the floodlights going out that's all I remember

Have no memory of the next game at home. 

I'm so pleased my son who is 7 loves coming to games now and he can have some memories of his own tha's what it's all about.......Well hopefully anyway.

I may have only been 9 but i knew the difference between right and wrong ?

I was 4/5years into city life. (As a child I didn't like Keith welch because he replaced leaning)

I argued over and over why i should go to the game. But, no. So absolutely either took/found a radio

The funny thing, when the other parents told my dad what I'd done, he wasn't even angry; more a faint proud look if anything 

7 years old what i time to follow football. Lucky him; he's in for life now and nothing he can do about it. We go, we watch, we fall in love and not a damn thing can do about it.

• Robin 1

I was working nightshifts when we earned the replay at Anfield. My manager was at the game at Ashton Gate and I was listening to it on the radio from work.
As soon as the final whistle blew, I filled in the handwritten holiday request form (as was the process back in the day) for the night off so I could go to the Anfield game. My manager had to authorise it.
When my manager came in and saw my holiday application waiting for his signature, he laughed as he ripped it up and threw it in the bin before submitting his own.
We couldn’t both take the same night off as there always had to be at least one of the 2 senior members of shift staff on site.
I’ll never forgive him for that. Blatant abuse of authority!!!

I had to listen to that game on the radio in work too :(

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
add words

38 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I was working nightshifts when we earned the replay at Anfield. My manager was at the game at Ashton Gate and I was listening to it on the radio from work.
As soon as the final whistle blew, I filled in the handwritten holiday request form (as was the process back in the day) for the night off so I could go to the Anfield game. My manager had to authorise it.
When my manager came in and saw my holiday application waiting for his signature, he laughed as he ripped it up and threw it in the bin before submitting his own.
We couldn’t both take the same night off as there always had to be at least one of the 2 senior members of shift staff on site.
I’ll never forgive him for that. Blatant abuse of authority!!!

I had to listen to that game on the radio in work too :(

Should’ve pulled a sicky

• Like 1

On 25/01/2023 at 13:37, Offside said:

Amazing night. I loved visiting Anfield and it was brilliant to get the win there. After Tinman had scored the minutes ticked by very, very slowly. Fantastic scenes when the goal went in and at the end of the game. 

29 years ago. Blimey. I feel old. 

Sadly I didn't go, but my dad was there. Said the streets around Anfield were full of crying Scousers.  ?

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Sadly I didn't go, but my dad was there. Said the streets around Anfield were full of crying Scousers.  ?

To be fair the scousers were as good as gold,nothing but compliments and good wishes,mind you I think they wanted Souness out,so were probably quite pleased we had beaten them.

3 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

To be fair the scousers were as good as gold,nothing but compliments and good wishes,mind you I think they wanted Souness out,so were probably quite pleased we had beaten them.

Yep, handshakes all round for my dad and his fellow fans after the game from impressed 'Pool fans.   The Everton fan behind the bar at the hotel he was staying, bought them a round too! ?

1 hour ago, NOTBLUE said:

Seemed mostly friendly but the EP ran a story afterwards with a picture of a City fan in hospital in Liverpool after being set upon in a chip shop near the ground.

When he was recovered enough to hobble into the Enclosure on crutches he was recognised by the crowd and given a round of applause.

I was in the RAF at Machrihanish. A tiny little station near the Mull of Kintyre in Scotland.  I listened to the radio commentary after travelling over 600 miles for the 1st leg at Ashton Gate. I ran up and down the corridors in my accommodation block after we won and drank heartily in the NAAFI after the game. So sad I missed bring there 

A girl I knew married a scouser and had a pub up there. She rang me and told us to bring the mini bus to her place. She opened up the pool table and jukebox for free all afternoon, then put food on for us. Pub was full of Everton and Liverpool, so there was loads of banter going round ( we gave them loads of stick, but I don’t think they got the Bristolian sense of humour?). We had a spare ticket, so a Everton fan said he’d have it. He came with us and told us where to park, it was right outside the Kiop on double yellow lines, fair play , no ticket when we came out. Went back to the pub after and gave the Liverpool fans loads. More food was put on, followed by the curtains shutting and having a lock in. Knock on the window and off duty old bill come in for a drink! ! Left there at 2 o clock in the morning, great day!!

• Flames 1