IGNORED

Net Zero City (the other kind of sustainability)

SecretSam

It's about time Net Zero became a serious consideration at BS3. Increasingly, we are seeing other places with things like PVs on the roof of stands, even wind turbines; there must be significant opportunities for us to decarbonise, even if it's simple stuff like the tat we sell in the shop, the wrappings for food and drinks containers.

And don't even get me started on travel! 

I work with the NHS, which has a very ambitious NZC target, and they are really taking this seriously now. And it extends to patient and staff travel - so for a football club, would extend to player, staff and fan travel, for example. 

About time BCFC had a sustainability lead who was visible and making some changes.

• Like 4

"we are seeing other places with things like PVs on the roof of stands" - yes, places like the roof of the Lansdown Stand.

There's also the Bristol Sport-wide Project Whitebeam to "recognise, measure and minimise our impact on the environment" - https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-launch-project-whitebeam/

Per the staff directory, Project Whitebeam has the following team:

• Director with overall responsibility for environmental sustainability: Gavin Marshall
  • Project Whitebeam lead: Peter Smith
  • Taskforce lead: Sarah Shewa
Edited by View from the Dolman

It's all rubbish until they get serious on team travel/pre season tours abroad etc.

It's an industry thing to solve (not just city) but you cant be telling fans to eat a vegan burger and then flying to hull and getting an empty team coach to drive up to transport the players from the hotel to the stadium 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Switched off at “I work in the NHS”, but anyways…

A football club can only be as sustainable as remaining competitive allows. 

Wow.

Do you not consider your first sentence quite insulting?

It is certainly unnecessary, but why be so dismissive of somebody who works in the NHS?

Or are you perhaps trying to make a cheap, puerile joke about NHS and working?

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Wow.

Do you not consider your first sentence quite insulting?

It is certainly unnecessary, but why be so dismissive of somebody who works in the NHS?

Or are you perhaps trying to make a cheap, puerile joke about NHS and working?

Because it’s irrelevant. I’d feel the same if they prefixed with MOD, HSBC or Tescos to give 3 examples. 

Different industries, different scale, different business model. The only element three of four may share is customers.l

On 28/01/2023 at 08:11, Barrs Court Red said:

Because it’s irrelevant. I’d feel the same if they prefixed with MOD, HSBC or Tescos to give 3 examples. 

Different industries, different scale, different business model. The only element three of four may share is customers.l

They're a major industry trying to reduce their carbon footprint.