IGNORED

My Wife!

Stoke Gifford Red76

9 hours ago, Stoke Gifford Red76 said:

Hello, City fans, I took my wife to the game today, in fact this was her 3rd game she attended, her first game was against Watford, we drew 0-0 she said to me, who is no 14  to which I replied that's Weinmann, she was very impressed with his movement on and off the ball, Marie who is my wife, got upset when Semenyo was sold to Bournemouth because she thought he was brilliant player! today beating West Brom 3-0 Marie loved it, she has never been to a football match before, she has now been to 3 games she feels welcome at Ashton Gate, she does not feel uncomfortable and loves watching the City play, thank you fellow City fans for making her welcome, it has made her mental health so much better. 

That’s good hear. ?

Hope she continues to enjoy it.

9 hours ago, Stoke Gifford Red76 said:

Hello, City fans, I took my wife to the game today, in fact this was her 3rd game she attended, her first game was against Watford, we drew 0-0 she said to me, who is no 14  to which I replied that's Weinmann, she was very impressed with his movement on and off the ball, Marie who is my wife, got upset when Semenyo was sold to Bournemouth because she thought he was brilliant player! today beating West Brom 3-0 Marie loved it, she has never been to a football match before, she has now been to 3 games she feels welcome at Ashton Gate, she does not feel uncomfortable and loves watching the City play, thank you fellow City fans for making her welcome, it has made her mental health so much better. 

As someone who suffers with depression may I say following City never helps ;) 

In all seriousness, I’m glad it’s made her feel better, and, in my experience, watching City has brought me more pleasure than despair over the past 28 years since my first match.

Even when the football is rubbish the sheer joy of seeing the ground as you walk towards it on matchday is the perfect tonic, the post match chat, and then listening to Radio Bristol on the way home still makes me smile  :D

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2

40 minutes ago, Basil Fawlty said:

Even when the football is rubbish the sheer joy of seeing the ground as you walk towards it on matchday is the perfect tonic, the post match chat, and then listening to Radio Bristol on the way home still makes me smile  :D

Basil, you've nailed it. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Basil Fawlty said:

In all seriousness, I’m glad it’s made her feel better, and, in my experience, watching City has brought me more pleasure than despair over the past 28 years since my first match.

Well said Basil. A perfect summary of why us fans keep going back. Glad your wife enjoyed the day.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stoke Gifford Red76 said:

Are you inferring that your wife has or had some mental health problem(s)?

My first wife suffered from childhood due to abuse from a piece of filth called a father. As a 23 year old single mother, her second baby was forcibly taken from her by the council. So her life was hardly a pleasant thing. 

Living in Ashton, I took her to a benefit game v Hereford at the end of the 1975-6 promotion season. At the end of the match, she said it was the best couple of hours she had had for a long time. Just watching people in the crowd enjoying themselves took her mind off of her life. She continued for twenty years going to home and some away games until her death twenty years later.

She knew nowt about football. Just the noise and excitement in the crowd gave her a rest from the real world and her memories.

So @Stoke Gifford Red76best wishes to you both if that is her outlet.

PS. Were you in W16 row 26?

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 4

This is a lovely post, I’m pleased that is the case.

Bit of a side issue but my usual seat was occupied by someone else yesterday so I had to move down a few rows.

Sat a few seats down from me were 3 British Asian lads, I just thought it was great they were there & enjoying themselves, it would be good to see a more diverse support at AG but incrementally things like this are slowly getting better.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Basil Fawlty said:

Yes I know what you mean. Been going 48 years now. And seen some low Lows. And highs too. But walking in and sitting down at the gate . I love the atmosphere, hope and expectation. And only got to my seat with my grandsons at 2.55 due to the joys of the late running 24 bus. There was that old buzz and hope that ' yes we can do this today' I love it and will keep coming back when I can. 

Great your wife enjoyed it and doing her  mental health some good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This is a lovely post, I’m pleased that is the case.

Bit of a side issue but my usual seat was occupied by someone else yesterday so I had to move down a few rows.

Sat a few seats down from me were 3 British Asian lads, I just thought it was great they were there & enjoying themselves, it would be good to see a more diverse support at AG but incrementally things like this are slowly getting better.

Thanks for your post and ultimately I hope that we all just think of them as young, developing Bristol City supporters.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Stoke Gifford Red76 said:

Sounds like Marie may be our good luck charm.

All the best to both of you.

15 hours ago, Stoke Gifford Red76 said:

I took my six year old grandson for the first time yesterday with his dad who was not a football follower but both loved it and want to come again i said its not always this good ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

I took my six year old grandson for the first time yesterday with his dad who was not a football follower but both loved it and want to come again i said its not always this good ?

I was six when I first went to City. My first game was a 2-0 win against Aldershot. Still enjoying it most of the time 73 years later.

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Sounds like you were near me. There were five or six in total around me. They were students at a guess. Always seems to be a decent turnout of students for cup games, I'm guessing due to the cheaper pricing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sounds like you were near me. There were five or six in total around me. They were students at a guess. Always seems to be a decent turnout of students for cup games, I'm guessing due to the cheaper pricing. 

E32?

Being old , mental health didn't exist for much of my football following career, at least we didn't consider it .
But years of meeting mates, beers with old friends and new ,shouting at Refs , must have helped my mindset. I usually enjoy the day in spite of the football, but it is a great release.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Being old , mental health didn't exist for much of my football following career, at least we didn't consider it .
But years of meeting mates, beers with old friends and new ,shouting at Refs , must have helped my mindset. I usually enjoy the day in spite of the football, but it is a great release.

Following a team has two benefits that help to retain one's sanity.

Meeting other people who don't know you, yet are friendly every time you see them.

And after every game one reflects on it and also the next one to look forward to.

• Like 3