IGNORED

Start With a Good Steak

Port Said Red

The best tip I ever got from Chefs when I used to run training courses for them and asked; What's the secret of good steak, Chef? 

This is my somewhat hamfisted analogy to why people's opinion of the Academy has changed, and we are starting to see a return on the investment in it. 

The Academy was founded in 1997, but you have to consider that the first players that would be considered full scholars, wouldn't come until around 10 years later. These would be the intake of 7-8 year olds that have known only the Academy upbringing. 

In that time we have had a few sparse successes, Lloyd Kelly, Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan probably the first names to people's minds, but a few others that have had good careers like Joe Edwards. 

But, going back to my analogy, I think the club realised that it was important to find lads who had more to them than the ability to kick a ball in a straight line. I think everyone has said similar things about all the lads that have started to come through that could be condensed down to the hated phrase "good human".

I still think a good chef is important though, and Pearson seems the most adept at recognising when a steak is ready, and when it needs a bit more time. 

Finally having good kitchen equipment and a good team of Sous Chefs, is the icing on the cake, and I think we are seeing the start of the High Performance Centre living up to it's rather grand name.

• Like 6
  • Robin 2

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The best tip I ever got from Chefs when I used to run training courses for them and asked; What's the secret of good steak, Chef? 

This is my somewhat hamfisted analogy to why people's opinion of the Academy has changed, and we are starting to see a return on the investment in it. 

The Academy was founded in 1997, but you have to consider that the first players that would be considered full scholars, wouldn't come until around 10 years later. These would be the intake of 7-8 year olds that have known only the Academy upbringing. 

In that time we have had a few sparse successes, Lloyd Kelly, Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan probably the first names to people's minds, but a few others that have had good careers like Joe Edwards. 

But, going back to my analogy, I think the club realised that it was important to find lads who had more to them than the ability to kick a ball in a straight line. I think everyone has said similar things about all the lads that have started to come through that could be condensed down to the hated phrase "good human".

I still think a good chef is important though, and Pearson seems the most adept at recognising when a steak is ready, and when it needs a bit more time. 

Finally having good kitchen equipment and a good team of Sous Chefs, is the icing on the cake, and I think we are seeing the start of the High Performance Centre living up to it's rather grand name.

While you can pick up a 7/8 year old with obvious talent, these are very rare.  Kids develops at different rates, associated with their physical growth, and there are a lot of very good kids out there at all ages.  City need to be out there looking for the best talent at all ages and, sadly, I don’t always see this as the case at the moment.  Other clubs (Cardiff, Southampton) are picking up some good talent, while a lot of good players are going unnoticed.  I worry about the quality and coverage of City’s youth scouting network.  I’d be interested to hear what others involved with youth football in the area think.

Agreed, good analogy. 

Along the way we’ve had some sausages burnt by crap chefs and have refined our recipes to work towards at least one Michelin star.
Hopefully we can continue with the full a la carte restaurant menu choices rather than donner kebab take away option offered by Irene’s greasy spoon cafe..

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

While you can pick up a 7/8 year old with obvious talent, these are very rare.  Kids develops at different rates, associated with their physical growth, and there are a lot of very good kids out there at all ages.  City need to be out there looking for the best talent at all ages and, sadly, I don’t always see this as the case at the moment.  Other clubs (Cardiff, Southampton) are picking up some good talent, while a lot of good players are going unnoticed.  I worry about the quality and coverage of City’s youth scouting network.  I’d be interested to hear what others involved with youth football in the area think.

And yet our arguably best talents in recent times have both come in later in the process, Scott after others had rejected him and Semenyo through our links at SGS.

52 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Hopefully we can continue with the full a la carte restaurant menu choices rather than donner kebab take away option offered by Irene’s greasy spoon cafe..

Don't listen Irene....I shall remain a devoted and dedicated customer of the aforementioned comestibles. ?

Edited by MelksRed

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

While you can pick up a 7/8 year old with obvious talent, these are very rare

I see what you did there…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

Worth remembering that many years ago, the stated objective was to ensure the squad/reserves was filled with home grown youngsters, rather than expensive pros, who could come in and do a job in the first team when required. 

It’s been great to see the change, and seeing u9s football locally, you can see a steady stream of academy prospects out there. 

• Like 1

It’s very tough to recruit young players now. Regarding the steak analogy, we aren’t able to recruit the very best steak as we are cat 2, even offering them a “pathway” is not enough for the elite youngsters. So we are looking for the late developers, the good eggs (steaks) and the ones who have maybe lost their way a bit. And the club has done a fantastic job of that, Scott, and semenyo alone being likely 40m of talent. 

really excited to see the next 3/4 years of talent, the bar looks really high now. So I would say the club is overperforming right now at a very difficult task. Fair play to them ?

Edited by ciderwithtommy

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

While you can pick up a 7/8 year old with obvious talent, these are very rare.  

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I see what you did there…

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

Well done for spotting it.

I think you should all let it rest now.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think you should all let it rest now.

And yet they all missed my mixed metaphor when I mentioned "icing on the cake". :) I should have gone with a good Diane Sa uce or something similar. :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

And yet they all missed my mixed metaphor when I mentioned "icing on the cake". :) I should have gone with a good Diane Source or something similar. :)

Too many cooks spoil the cherry on top  and the proof of the pudding is always the icing on the cake.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

And yet our arguably best talents in recent times have both come in later in the process, Scott after others had rejected him and Semenyo through our links at SGS.

Plus Cardiff’s track record in recent times on this is terrible & there is angst at Southampton about their legendary pipeline of talent having slowed.

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Completely agree.  That’s why I think it’s so important for City to be scouting 12+ youth players in the area.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Completely agree.  That’s why I think it’s so important for City to be scouting 12+ youth players in the area.

Sam Bell didn't enter the Academy until 13/14. There's a lot of bollocks spouted about pro football clubs Academies, most of it by the bitter parents of lads who simply aren't good enough.

My lad, same age as Sam Bell, Tommy Conway, Ryley Towler at City, Reuben Colwill and Isaac Davies at Cardiff, Saka at Arsenal etc. etc. played against them loads of times, wasn't good enough when push came to shove, and he would be the first to tell you that, yet some of his best experiences in football that he'll remember for life were at Academy Level (wasn't our Academy nor the Few). It's rare that players get missed (does happen) but plenty of people with no expertise or even the most basic qualifications in the game seem to have an expert opinion on Academies and are able to do the job far better.................................

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Sam Bell didn't enter the Academy until 13/14. There's a lot of bollocks spouted about pro football clubs Academies, most of it by the bitter parents of lads who simply aren't good enough.

My lad, same age as Sam Bell, Tommy Conway, Ryley Towler at City, Reuben Colwill and Isaac Davies at Cardiff, Saka at Arsenal etc. etc. played against them loads of times, wasn't good enough when push came to shove, and he would be the first to tell you that, yet some of his best experiences in football that he'll remember for life were at Academy Level (wasn't our Academy nor the Few). It's rare that players get missed (does happen) but plenty of people with no expertise or even the most basic qualifications in the game seem to have an expert opinion on Academies and are able to do the job far better.................................

I hope he still plays, and enjoys playing too. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, CyderInACan said:

I hope he still plays, and enjoys playing too. 

He does, at Uni currently so not the highest standard he'll ever play, but still loves his football. Funnily enough the lad of the worst parent I have encountered in football (worst by a country mile too) who knew more, knew everything, hasn't played a single game of football since leaving the Academy he was at aged 16. Crying shame because the kid was a very good player ruined by his old man.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

He does, at Uni currently so not the highest standard he'll ever play, but still loves his football. Funnily enough the lad of the worst parent I have encountered in football (worst by a country mile too) who knew more, knew everything, hasn't played a single game of football since leaving the Academy he was at aged 16. Crying shame because the kid was a very good player ruined by his old man.

That is a shame for the other lad, for sure. Maybe he was just pushed too much and fell out of love with it? Glad your lad still plays and enjoys it, the level is irrelevant really, it's all about enjoying yourself. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

I think the current situation is a perfect storm of many different factors.

We have a manager who has bought into the club's long term rather than being fixated with his own job security.

We have a long standing "aspiration" from the Lansdowns to have a functioning academy, we all mocked the "pillars"... whilst we have deviated from the pathway at times the investment has always stood firm which is to his credit.

We have had a period of ridiculously serious financial issues. It's hard to imagine us being that far from a points deduction over the last couple of seasons.

We have Covid destroying the transfer market.

We have a started to get both our academy recruitment and coaching right and the pathway between 16's, 18's, 23's and pro football is as defined yet as flexible/targeted as possible.

Having worked in and around academy football I'm of the belief that its the phase between 12 and 16 that's the most important- before that you can pretty much teach any athletic/sporty kid with a decent attitude to learning how to be a decent technical footballer. From 12 it's about developing resilience, tactical knowledge, team work and building on the fundamental technical aspects taught/developed in the first phase of development. We've started to get that bit right more often than not.

We are still not that far removed from some very worrying stories coming out of the academy, particularly with regard to aftercare/releases. It was painful to be a City fan and also a coach trying to piece together the fragments of another young man who missed the cut. It was probably the thing that kickstarted me falling out of love with youth football... 

Just happy to see it all coming together at the perfect time for the club. 

Agree, lots of immediate factors at play as to why there is an influx of young players getting opportunities, but let’s not forget this is the fruit of plans put in place a decade or so ago coming to blossom. The club deserve a lot of credit for making consistently good appointments along the way. The right people at the right time almost always. We have the blueprint in the academy of how to develop a highly successful organisation and needn’t look much further for inspiration. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Tell him to play for fun , because at some part of his life his yard of pace will go (if he goes to find his and its near mine ,tell him to use it as I didn,t)