IGNORED

Massengo - Loan to Auxerre (Confirmed)

Davefevs

I put the blame more with the club than Massengo on this one. Fact is, we're the ones that dished out a big transfer fee (£2.7m) and lavish wages for a player that ultimately hasn't lived up to that kind of financial commitment.

We're the ones that couldn't really find a definitive position for HNM in the starting 11.

It's been my understanding that the player/player's reps have made it clear for a long time (more than a year ago) that he wouldn't be signing a new deal. Problem was, because of what we paid for HNM in fees and wages, it was very unlikely any club interested was going to be able to afford the fees and wages required to take him off us. Until now of course, when Auxerre (promoted last season from Ligue 2) can probably just about afford him and take the chance he may help them to stay up.

Most of us were delighted to see the club take this kind of calculated risk when we signed HNM. But signing young players from abroad is high risk unless they are exceptional talents. This gamble just didn't quite work out.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 16
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Ironically although it may leave us a little exposed at times, Massengo and his energy combined with reasonable technical ability could probably slot into the current CM 3. Ship has not just sailed but gone round two sets of harbours but always thought he's best suited to a CM 3. Perhaps a genuine 4-3-3 or something closer to a bit like what we're playing now.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

17 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

Can you explain what about his performances have been a joy to watch? I can only think of one game where he was outstanding and that was Derby away in August 2019.

Oh dear.  Joy to watch doesn’t have to be outstanding, can be good, decent, pretty good, etc.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

In your opinion. In my mind it is something that could be considered marvellous or wonderful which is different. Alex Scott’s performance on Saturday was a joy to watch.

How many many players in the last 50 years can we measure against Alex Scott is that is your yard stick

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well he's going a top-flight club, albeit a struggling one. Can't blame him. He wants to get game time.

I think those that said in the right sort of set-up he'd thrive and show his class, are right.

Although Auxerre are again struggling, they have a rich history.

It's just a shame the great Guy Roux is no longer there, otherwise he would have Han-Noah playing for France within a season or two.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

He's technically brilliant, his jinking runs and use of sublime pieces of skill like in tight areas was always a highlight for me. His ball mastery and willingness to receive under pressure (thankfully, Scott is even better at this) were the elements of his game that made me think he could be a midfielder who would take us to the next level in terms of style of play. 

A bit OTT to say the least that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I put the blame more with the club than Massengo on this one. Fact is, we're the ones that dished out a big transfer fee (£2.7m) and lavish wages for a player that ultimately hasn't lived up to that kind of financial commitment.

We're the ones that couldn't really find a definitive position for HNM in the starting 11.

It's been my understanding that the player/player's reps have made it clear for a long time (more than a year ago) that he wouldn't be signing a new deal. Problem was, because of what we paid for HNM in fees and wages, it was very unlikely any club interested was going to be able to afford the fees and wages required to take him off us. Until now of course, when Auxerre (promoted last season from Ligue 2) can probably just about afford him and take the chance he may help them to stay up.

Most of us were delighted to see the club take this kind of calculated risk when we signed HNM. But signing young players from abroad is high risk unless they are exceptional talents. This gamble just didn't quite work out.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I know I said this on another post but I think big lesson here is that it's not worth signing a young player from abroad, even on a four year contract, unless they are ready to compete for a place immediately. If they are going to take a couple of years to get up to speed, and they've clearly moved to us as a stepping stone, then it's fairly predictable that we'll end up in a situation where they have two years to go on their contract and are eyeing up their next move before we've got value for money for them.

It's a bit different with someone like Bajic or Ivan Lukic a few years ago, as both moved on a free and are low risk if it doesn't work. But the major issue with Massengo is the risk just wasn't that well calculated in the first place. 

You're right that it's easy for me, as someone who doesn't work in football, to sit and say this with the benefit of hindsight. But I do think it is the kind of thing that anyone who actually works in football recruitment should have seen from the very beginning. 

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Although Auxerre are again struggling, they have a rich history.

It's just a shame the great Guy Roux is no longer there, otherwise he would have Han-Noah playing for France within a season or two.

Seeing as he’s 84 now that would be a reign almost as long as the late Queen.