IGNORED

How long is a month?

The Exiled Robin

I saw those two away draws - Millwall then Coventry - as being massively important in (re)building confidence after West Brom, just like I saw the point (despite leading) against Wigan early in the season after the opening two defeats.  It’s little hurdles to overcome.

Most will point to a formation change, and I get that, I just saw confidence returning in those two games, and winder whether that helped the mindset as we changed system.

• Like 2

We certainly needed the upturn in form in January, because it was getting worrying. 

January has been really heartening and we've got ourselves back to 17th which has been about par this season, albeit a little lower than we had hoped.

Whether January turns out to be positive we will have to wait and see, but on paper I personally don't have any qualms with our ins and outs.

If form can continue to be impressive and we all have a riotous time v Man City then it'll be pretty clear that Nige has done good work.

I’m very hopeful for the rest of the season. 

This club was a basket case, yet again, when Pearson was brought in. I won’t go on about the bloated wage bill, bloated squad and the utter knob wits that created it!

However we now have a youthful team, some very good senior pros and three of four players coming through that will go all the way to the premier league, hopefully with us! 

Hopefully those who have screamed so loud like children about Mr Pearson and his ability will shout just as loudly in support of what the team and staff are trying to achieve!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

A month ago, the nights were long and dark, confidence was low, injuries were rife, and uncertainty loomed over the January window.

I still think, and thought at the time, that the reaction to WBA home defeat was massively over the top but it might have been needed for us to kick on.

A few good results and performances followed, we’ve reduced the wage bill, got a decent fee for Antoine, and things look rosy again. It just goes to show the fine margins and how football is so fickle IMO. Onwards and upwards. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, The Exiled Robin said:

A month is a very long time in football, that’s for sure! 

Five weeks ago Pearson appeared to be hanging by a thread.

The players battled hard for a draw at Millwall and haven’t looked back - we’ve not lost since, we’ve got Man City coming up, there’s optimism over a money-generating and saving, but positive transfer window.

He said something like “I’m at my weakest position since joining {just above drop zone} but the club is at its strongest.”

Are we seeing that already?
Lower wage bill. Performances & results improvement despite injuries. More youngsters come through. Scott excellent & still here. 

For me, this is the result of 2 years of slowly building with a plan (on and off the pitch @Davefevs!) , slowly turning around changing room culture.

It’s a bit like we were in a period of what was almost a holding position to allow the younguns time to develop & be ready.

It won’t last forever, but we’re on a slight upward curve at last…

The key to any possible momentum surrounds the financial black hole which was crystallised by the pandemic which basically de-railed the entire business plan.Gould has done an amazing job of bringing down the wage bill/ structure and guiding the club away from an FFP breach /points deduction. This in turn has has given NP a greater freedom than was previously afforded to him. The long term benefit of and investment in the academy is paying off as well.

Perhaps the most positive result will be SL's engagement with his club- he clearly has had a serious rethink about his involvement and ownership but there's nothing more powerful than upwards momentum to get anyone enthused again including us fans. It's been pretty grim on and off the pitch for over a couple of years and has only started to look like there's light at the end of the tunnel in January 2023. It's been a very long month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To play devils advocate a bit - going unbeaten for a month (and a bit more!) is excellent but nothing is settled yet this season. There are unequivocally three worse teams than us, more than that, but we have to get the points none the less as the table doesn’t care who has better squads. We aren’t safe yet (and I saw someone mention play-offs earlier, I love the spirit but that ain’t happening sadly!).

Great January with good results and great business - but work to do still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The key to any possible momentum surrounds the financial black hole which was crystallised by the pandemic which basically de-railed the entire business plan.Gould has done an amazing job of bringing down the wage bill/ structure and guiding the club away from an FFP breach /points deduction. This in turn has has given NP a greater freedom than was previously afforded to him. The long term benefit of and investment in the academy is paying off as well.

Perhaps the most positive result will be SL's engagement with his club- he clearly has had a serious rethink about his involvement and ownership but there's nothing more powerful than upwards momentum to get anyone enthused again including us fans. It's been pretty grim on and off the pitch for over a couple of years and has only started to look like there's light at the end of the tunnel in January 2023. It's been a very long month.

Pearson deserves credit for helping to bring the wage bill down as well by reshaping the squad . It’ll be a cold day hell before you give him any credit though . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

To play devils advocate a bit - going unbeaten for a month (and a bit more!) is excellent but nothing is settled yet this season. There are unequivocally three worse teams than us, more than that, but we have to get the points none the less as the table doesn’t care who has better squads. We aren’t safe yet (and I saw someone mention play-offs earlier, I love the spirit but that ain’t happening sadly!).

Great January with good results and great business - but work to do still.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A classic example of  where we are is Nakki Wells, turned out to be a  top top pro. helped our U23 strikers massively. {those who watched our U23 games will tell you}, knuckled down, NP plays him central and low and behold he looks and plays like the £5m STRIKER he is. Took a pay cut to stay with us and sign a new contract.  I hope in 2/3 years time he is our striker's coach. 

Makes you wonder why he played Sam Bell as wing back? maybe just to get him involved? before he went up front?

We are playing with a pace I have never seen in my time , almost 50 years, watching us and long may it continue

Edited by grubby
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it is a long time.

Was having my second ‘wobble’ at the end of last year, while still remaining a Pearson Loyal. Just thought ‘The Project’ was coming off the rails. That Sam Pearson at full back, King at Centre Back, the ‘disappeared’ - Klose, Martin, Atkinson, Tanner et al, the fitness, injuries, tactics that had 7 forwards to chase a game, formations that had round pegs in square holes and stubbornly sticking to failed formations, the lack of impact of new signings.  It was all a bit we’ve been here before.

There was something though with Pearson that made me stick with him.

Still far from out of the woods, but green shoots appearing. 

Edited by RedRock
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Red Skin said:

It's all the stuff away from the first team that's been most encouraging. 

- Getting rid of Ashton.

- Getting rid of the sh1te medical staff he brought in. 

- Tins appointed to a position of influence. 

- New CEO.  

- Improved coaching staff.

- Offloading big wage earners 

- Offloading slow players on a downward curve

- Academy players shining 

And now the team are looking much more together, hungry, and are really playing for each other.  

NP has made a massive impact in turning the whole club around.

I think you missed "vocal fans moving to A Block"

• Haha 5

Yeah regardless of what some say on here I think he was skating on thin ice and needed a month like this to get that security back and show the ones in charge he is capable. I’m not getting to carried away with it though because if history is anything to go by, this could just very well be a half decent bit of form and we could lose every game this month. Things are most certainly looking a lot better now though and long may it continue. We’ve had nothing but utter dross now for 3 years. Want to see those good times back at the gate, keep it up Nige  ?

Edited by Negan

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Pearson was never ever hanging by a thread here. Pre Birmingham Gould said "We are all massively supportive of Nigel" he also mentioned the positive performances that we have had. 

The only pressure was coming from a small inpatient vocal group that quite frankly don't understand anything about football. 

Internally he was never ever ever anywhere close to being hanging by a thread. But that's because those internally know what he is working with and they also see the work he puts in daily. They see the improvements with their own eyes. 

Performances and the consistency of the performances have largely been decent for quite a while. Birmingham away is really the only game where I'd describe our performance as terrible. 

When Nige arrived here we couldn't even get a shot on target. Then we could.

Then we couldn't get a home win. Then we could.

Then we couldn't not concede a last min goal. Then we could. 

Then we couldn't stop picking up injuries. Then we could.

Then we couldn't perform for an entire game. Then we could.

Then we couldn't win back to back. Then we could.

And finally we couldn't stop giving away stupid goals due to mistakes. And then we could. 

Each single one of these coulds have taken time to sort out. Only someone like Ian Gay would think they could all be sorted out over night. Football doesn't work like that. 

If you want long term success like we do, then you have to work on all of those things over a period of time. 

What Pearson meant by being at his weakest was in response to being booed by the fans. His comment about the club being at its strongest alluded to the work he had undertaken. 

Of course there was pressure both externally and internally, there always has been and always will. 

But any rubbish about him losing the dressing room or players not playing for him was complete rubbish made up by those with an agenda. 

I personally have never ever had any concerns about relegation. There are at least 5 worse teams in this league than us. 

If we were anything like Cardiff id be extremely worried but all i've been over the season is continued improvements. A football fan just knows when their team is danger of relegation. We've never played like that bar the Birmingham away game. 

I don't think people realise that the CEO is based at the training ground and sees everything that goes on with his own eyes. 

We might have little blips along the way but I am fully confident that now all the biggest problems have been dealt with and we are nos on an upwards trajectory. 

The new faces at the training ground and the excitement around the Man Citu game will give all of us a renewed freshness on the back of a very good month. 

I think a top half finish is certain an achievable target. 

Well said 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I can unequivocally tell you he absolutely was not. Thin ice for losing two games in a row? And then 3 draws in a row? Jeeeeez. 

I fail to believe after Boxing Day he wasn't at least under some pressure. He has turned it around, and we are in a better position. All fans were happy to write off this season PROVIDED we stayed in this league, after the West Brom game, even the most upbeat of Pearson supporters would have been questioning where we would survive the way we were playing. 

Yes things have turned around, we are in a better position, but following West Brom had we ended up getting beaten heavily by Millwall, I don't care what the so called ITK claim to say, the board would have at the very least given him a vote of confidence and considered his position. 

He deserves in my opinion, next season. But if we are not competitive next season, we have very much got out the financial implications, operating with his squad and therefore it would not be unjust to suggest change, but even as someone who has their doubts regarding Pearson, I would say January and the change of formation, and uplift in form, has earned him the support of next season. 

• Like 2

Interesting this morning to listen to Benjamin Bloom’s view (someone I respect) who has suggested we are “greatly weakened” after this month.

I get the argument that losing Semenyo weakens us (it does) but think his emphasis on Bentley & Massengo going is a bit misplaced, seeing as neither had featured in some while.

Could see a case for it being seen as neutral overall.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

I fail to believe after Boxing Day he wasn't at least under some pressure. He has turned it around, and we are in a better position. All fans were happy to write off this season PROVIDED we stayed in this league, after the West Brom game, even the most upbeat of Pearson supporters would have been questioning where we would survive the way we were playing. 

Yes things have turned around, we are in a better position, but following West Brom had we ended up getting beaten heavily by Millwall, I don't care what the so called ITK claim to say, the board would have at the very least given him a vote of confidence and considered his position. 

He deserves in my opinion, next season. But if we are not competitive next season, we have very much got out the financial implications, operating with his squad and therefore it would not be unjust to suggest change, but even as someone who has their doubts regarding Pearson, I would say January and the change of formation, and uplift in form, has earned him the support of next season. 

Lansdown doesn't sack managers after 3 defeats. 

A football manager is always under pressure. 

I've never ever ever had any concerns about relegation. Only those with an agenda against Pearson had 'concerns' 

Take a listen to Goulds pre Birmingham interview. He says how highly supportive everyone at the club is of Pearson. 

We haven't been playing badly. Gould also spoke about the encouraging performances throughout the season. 

Only those with an agenda against Pearson believed we were playing badly. 

Off the top of my head

Sheffield Utd

Watford 

Blackpool

Coventry (home and away)

Swansea

Were all good performances where we should have got more, especially from the refs. 

Imo Birmingham and Reading away have been our only bad performances. 

The change in formation didn't change our fortunes as the performances were good before that too. We've just had a bit more luck and got back to scoring again. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Red Skin said:

It's all the stuff away from the first team that's been most encouraging. 

- Getting rid of Ashton.

- Getting rid of the sh1te medical staff he brought in. 

- Tins appointed to a position of influence. 

- New CEO.  

- Improved coaching staff.

- Offloading big wage earners 

- Offloading slow players on a downward curve

- Academy players shining 

And now the team are looking much more together, hungry, and are really playing for each other.  

NP has made a massive impact in turning the whole club around.

plus offloading those who didn't want to be here. I'm not saying they're bad or anything but I can see it being disruptive to the squad. From an uncertainty perspective at least, like the transfer window brings (you don't know who is going to be here etc)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Interesting this morning to listen to Benjamin Bloom’s view (someone I respect) who has suggested we are “greatly weakened” after this month.

I get the argument that losing Semenyo weakens us (it does) but think his emphasis on Bentley & Massengo going is a bit misplaced, seeing as neither had featured in some while.

Could see a case for it being seen as neutral overall.

Did he forget how once the transfer window slammed shut Semenyo went off the boil? Only started scoring again once it came around again...

We've sold Semenyo and brought in two others and still have millions sat I'm the bank. 

For us to be weaker he is saying that Semenyo is better than both of those players combined? Which would be  ludicrous to think that. 

Massengo and Bentley were just people that we didn't want around the place so them leaving is a positive. 

I don't know who Bloom is but I think he needs a reality check if he thinks we are greatly weakened. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

plus offloading those who didn't want to be here. I'm not saying they're bad or anything but I can see it being disruptive to the squad. From an uncertainty perspective at least, like the transfer window brings (you don't know who is going to be here etc)

Bentley is a very strong personality. Having a Bentley around the squad feeling hard done by for not being in the team wasn't good for the squad. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Love the patronising tone in some of these posts.  References to people who wanted Pearson out as being ‘like children’ or ‘not understanding anything about football’.  I can’t remember a single manager since the first manifestation of Joe Jordan with the exception of Cotterill who didn’t divide opinion at some stage.  I admit I got to a point where I felt that we probably needed a change of management, and I took no pleasure in that, but that didn’t happen and I’m delighted that things are looking more positive.  

To argue your case it’s always better to respect, or at least listen to, contrary views to your own.  We all want City to do well.

• Like 6

I still think we need to be pragmatic here.  We're had a good transfer window on paper and i like what Nigel and the team are doing. We've been able to free up wages (releasing Klose and Martin) and bring in some fresh faces, but they will need time to settle and integrate with the team and Nigel's tactics and instructions.

Hopefully OTIB won't have a melt down after 5 minutes in our next game if the new guys have scored a hatrick of goals or assists!

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

:Lansdown doesn't sack managers after 3 defeats. 

No he may not, but after 2 years of very little progress on the pitch, and a few poor games, he MAY have been wondering if he had the right man.

A football manager is always under pressure. 

I've never ever ever had any concerns about relegation. Only those with an agenda against Pearson had 'concerns' 

You may have not had any concerns, but I would suggest there are plenty of people without agenda who had concerns. 

Take a listen to Goulds pre Birmingham interview. He says how highly supportive everyone at the club is of Pearson. 

That alone is actually a vote of confidence. 

We haven't been playing badly. Gould also spoke about the encouraging performances throughout the season. 

Only those with an agenda against Pearson believed we were playing badly. 

We offered nothing against Birmingham when beaten 3-0, West Brom on Boxing Day we were passengers, Lincoln City was an embarrassment, Reading away was very poor.

Off the top of my head

Sheffield Utd

Watford 

Blackpool

Coventry (home and away)

Swansea

Were all good performances where we should have got more, especially from the refs. 

Imo Birmingham and Reading away have been our only bad performances. 

The change in formation didn't change our fortunes as the performances were good before that too. We've just had a bit more luck and got back to scoring again. 

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I can unequivocally tell you he absolutely was not. Thin ice for losing two games in a row? And then 3 draws in a row? Jeeeeez. 

No you can’t mate. You can only guess and think like me. The place was starting to get toxic and thats usually when managers are soon to get the boot. From the 4th of October up until Boxing Day we’d only won 3 games and been embarrassed by Lincoln in the cup. The football/defending was awful and the pressure was most definitely heating up. If we’d of lost against Millwall and Coventry I genuinely think that would of been the end. Thankfully he turned it around and hopefully that’s finally it now and it’s clicked. 

• Like 2