IGNORED

League vs cup

citywest30

7 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

Would love us to beat Man City but obviously staying in the Championship is more important. Just ondered if people would take a win and only get 4 or 5 points in the next 5 league games or prefer to lose and win 12 points?

Thoughts?

I’d rather win the next 5 league games and then beat Man City tbf. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

If the deal is that we beat Man City but don't win the FA Cup then I go league.

However, I'd take an FA Cup trophy if the price was relegation. relegation and promotion comes and goes. An FA Cup trophy would live forever.

Yea this is bang on for me. But since we won’t win the FA Cup, we’ll take the points. 

If we somehow did win the cup, and got relegated, I wouldn’t care we’d gone down in the slightest. Our first ever major honour would trump all else.

• Like 1

Interesting reading above 

The league will always come first. Beating Man City would be an amazing result and nite. And going on to win the FA cup is a tad unlikely. But hey crazy things happen in football and sport now and then. We seeing the first signs of NP building a real side. Give me staying up, good summer in transfers, strengthen that defence. And let's see what next season brings. But got to stay up first and foremost,. COYR 

Just how I see it if of course 

48 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

Would love us to beat Man City but obviously staying in the Championship is more important. Just ondered if people would take a win and only get 4 or 5 points in the next 5 league games or prefer to lose and win 12 points?

Thoughts?

I said back in 2017 that I wouldn’t take a win over Utd if it meant losing to Wolves (or more precisely I’d take the win over wolves over beating United.

That said, in hindsight, that United game and the subsequent City games were 3 of the best nights following City.

I don’t think we’re going down even if we drop points, so I’d choose the cup at this point, I’ve never seen us in an FA cup quarter final and this cup is still special to me unlike the Carabao cup.

• Like 1

In the Cup, I just want us to perform well, and not get stuffed. We still need to pick up points to make us safer from any relegation threat. If we get anything against Norwich, I will be more relaxed. I don't think relegation is in any way likely, but I'd rather we didn't fall into some Gas-like complacency at this stage. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I said back in 2017 that I wouldn’t take a win over Utd if it meant losing to Wolves (or more precisely I’d take the win over wolves over beating United.

That said, in hindsight, that United game and the subsequent City games were 3 of the best nights following City.

I don’t think we’re going down even if we drop points, so I’d choose the cup at this point, I’ve never seen us in an FA cup quarter final and this cup is still special to me unlike the Carabao cup.

That’s an interesting one. I don’t think anyone would disagree that the Wolves game was one of those “sliding door” moments - I’d go as far as saying if we had won there we’d have gone up. The Man Utd game was fantastic, but in retrospect and knowing then what I know now I’d have taken the Wolves win for the knock on impact.

I don’t think it’s as likely any league defeat this season would be as impactful though so I’d probably take beating Man City this time round!

If managed well then a good cup run can help your league form, gives confidence, improves morale all around the club.  The key is not letting it become a distraction which Pearson seems to be well aware of.  Luck also plays a role with injuries etc. but overall I don’t think it’s as simple as league v cup.  

Also whilst the league is of course the most important thing, provided we stay up not many people are going to remember anything about our last few league matches whereas a classic cup tie can live in the memory for decades.  

These conversations are utterly weird. 

There is no such trade off - it's an odd way to think about it really.  

Looking at our fixtures, we are very busy for the last 3 weeks before the international break.  Hopefully our squad is able to cope then.  Before then we have a relatively straight forward set of fixtures so frankly there is no need for prioritising one game over the other or rotation.  Main dynamic over the next few weeks will be that Pearson will want to incorporate Cornick and Mehmeti into the team and that will have to be in League fixtures.  Likely to see some rotation in attacking areas but, a fairly consistent team selection otherwise (providing there are no injuries).

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

That’s an interesting one. I don’t think anyone would disagree that the Wolves game was one of those “sliding door” moments - I’d go as far as saying if we had won there we’d have gone up. The Man Utd game was fantastic, but in retrospect and knowing then what I know now I’d have taken the Wolves win for the knock on impact.

I don’t think it’s as likely any league defeat this season would be as impactful though so I’d probably take beating Man City this time round!

It seemed like losing that game, and the subsequent energy we put into the city games, just sapped the life out of us and a bit of confidence too.

I think the real killer was Sunderland, but if we’d beaten wolves I agree I think we go up. Easily said though, there was still a lot of football to play after that.