IGNORED

The Switch - 433 to 352 towards the end

McNasty Filth

How do people feel it went? Looked 352 to me, but Im not an expert.

Don't know why Pearson did it, but imo made us more regressive and invited pressure. Anybody shed some tactical light on the change.

Before people jump on me for being negative, it couldn't be further from the truth, I've always been in Pearsons corner, just thought it was worth discussing.

"All's well that ends well"

Can see why he did it, get Kalas in. Firm things up and help with the wing backs.

Was going to write this on the match day thread...but....we fell out the game completely after going 5-3-2 - it was just back to wall defending from then on pretty much. We couldn't keep the ball or build at all.

Fine for 10 mins at the end, but for me another display how much better we are with a version of 433.

The less we see of it the better IMO. (But I have been an anti-532 broken record since about October/November so am biased)

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

I can see why he did it but I personally didn’t like it. 
And, if he was gonna do it in order to soak up and defend, then he should’ve left Tanner on and not put Sykes to wing back. 
We had one far post cross that they nearly scored from where Sykes was asleep to the man behind him and I think Tanner would’ve been a better option if we were going ‘all out defend’. 
As others said, we didn’t manage anything constructive on the ball after the switch, so it was an all out defend move. 

However, I will say that we played superbly prior to the switch and I’m delighted that we won a ‘battle’. We usually lose games that descend into battles and it’s brilliant to come out the right side of that one. 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

"All's well that ends well"

Can see why he did it, get Kalas in. Firm things up and help with the wing backs.

Was going to write this on the match day thread...but....we fell out the game completely after going 5-3-2 - it was just back to wall defending from then on pretty much. We couldn't keep the ball or build at all.

Fine for 10 mins at the end, but for me another display how much better we are with a version of 433.

The less we see of it the better IMO. (But I have been an anti-532 broken record since about October/November so am biased)

It got a better player aerially onto the pitch.  I don’t think we were great with either system today.  But we won! ???

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I can see why he did it but I personally didn’t like it. 
And, if he was gonna do it in order to soak up and defend, then he should’ve left Tanner on and not put Sykes to wing back. 
We had one far post cross that they nearly scored from where Sykes was asleep to the man behind him and I think Tanner would’ve been a better option if we were going ‘all out defend’. 
As others said, we didn’t manage anything constructive on the ball after the switch, so it was an all out defend move. 

However, I will say that we played superbly prior to the switch and I’m delighted that we won a ‘battle’. We usually lose games that descend into battles and it’s brilliant to come out the right side of that one. 

My thoughts too Harr.

Tanner remarkably solid again today.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

It got a better player aerially onto the pitch.  I don’t think we were great with either system today.  But we won! ???

My thoughts too Harr.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My thoughts too Harr.

I totally agree, Dave. Great to win but it was a horrible scuffle of a match illuminated only by our superb second goal. 
Preston are quite a tough side to play against. Very grateful they gave us a goal and that we have Alex Scott. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1