IGNORED

Where does 7 into 3 up front leave Weimann?

LondonBristolian

24 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Not for 27k a week there isnt

No def not. His stock was pretty high a couple of years ago, but I don't think there would be many clubs out there willing to pay him a big wage now. We'd offer him something in line with Naismith I guess?

He's still prime age for a centre back so to be dismissed lightly, but I do wonder if we'd get better value elsewhere. Not sure!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mozo said:

No def not. His stock was pretty high a couple of years ago, but I don't think there would be many clubs out there willing to pay him a big wage now. We'd offer him something in line with Naismith I guess?

He's still prime age for a centre back so to be dismissed lightly, but I do wonder if we'd get better value elsewhere. Not sure!

If truly fit and wants to be here…getting him on something like £10-15k p.w. is effectively like signing an OOC player.

There are of course good arguments for getting someone 22-25 on less wages and a small(ish fee), who grows with us.

If I take last summers “movers”:

• McNally - 22 - Oxford to Burnley (£1.8m) - played 6 games and loaned out to Coventry
  • Darling - 22 - MK Dons to Swansea (£2.0m) - played 23 times (18 starts from 29 league, not injured)
  • Clarke - 25 - Brighton to Boro (£2.5m) - played 6 times

i think there’d be question marks on all three based on fee paid and minutes played…and I’m not sure we’d pay that sort of money anyway.

Over the next few months things will become clearer.

image.png

• Thanks 1

On one of NP’s post match interviews he says “it was good to have Tomas back”

Something inaudible was said (obviously by Kalas walking past) and NP said “it was good to have you back lad “ with a smile. 

Think Nige would like to keep him beyond this season, but as pointed out, at the right price. 

on here about 4:30

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think there’s a chance Kalas might stay…assuming he gets enough minutes to prove his fitness.  Feels a bit like Baker, Nige enthusing that he’s come back strong.

I've been thinking, perhaps even assuming, that Pearson wants him to stay and it's up to Kalas/Alexander/Tinnion/Agent to get the contract to a point where all can accept it.

I think the club know that we don't replace a 30 year-old (he turns 30 in May) international CB with more than 250 Championship appearances for any cheaper than re-signing the one we have.

If I was Kalas I'd be talking to and observing Wells, Weimann and even Baker and seeing that re-signing here under Pearson is not a weak option.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

There are of course good arguments for getting someone 22-25 on less wages and a small(ish fee), who grows with us.

Thing is if we assume that the wages are true, ie Kalas is currently on something in the high 20s, then it's feasible to both re-sign him on something near £15k, plus get that young CB understudy in for £1m plus £7.5k a week. Even that would still cut the wage bill by £5k a week. If that is what we felt was right.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, glynriley said:

On one of NP’s post match interviews he says “it was good to have Tomas back”

Something inaudible was said (obviously by Kalas walking past) and NP said “it was good to have you back lad “ with a smile. 

Think Nige would like to keep him beyond this season, but as pointed out, at the right price. 

on here about 4:30

I clipped that bit yesterday and added it to TK’s actions.

There is definitely a good relationship between the two of them.

I see it as a combination of succession planning - Scott may go in the Summer as well - but more importantly for the here and now our game is reliant on intense pressing from the front and quick counter attacking - it’s going to be great having all these options from the bench to keep up the energy levels during games. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

With 5 subs now possible then it's fantastic to have these options on the bench.

Especially when it’s likely that 1 of the 7 is a goalie, so a chance to use 5 out of 6.

A bench of Kalas, Dasilva, Williams, Weimann, Cornick and Mehmeti gives so many options, plus drives the performance of the starting eleven through competition.  We’ve rarely had anything like this level this season.

In terms of depth there is Conway (injured), Wilson (nearing fitness) and King to add to the 18.  Beyond that its Taylor-Clarke.  So there’s not much depth.  Hoping Naismith was more precautionary than anything else.

Don't think we should write Andi off just yet. He's a class act upfront for Championship level.

Have thought for ages though that we are a better team when we play three actual midfielders in midfield rather than squeeze him in there. We seem to control game much better as a result.

But can still see him doing a great job in any of those top three positions in the current 4-3-3. And he will score and make goals. We are lucky to have him as an option.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Don't think we should write Andi off just yet. He's a class act upfront for Championship level.

Have thought for ages though that we are a better team when we play three actual midfielders in midfield rather than squeeze him in there. We seem to control game much better as a result.

But can still see him doing a great job in any of those top three positions in the current 4-3-3. And he will score and make goals. We are lucky to have him as an option.

Andi is a six foot two attacking forward and a massive threat to any opposing team at championship level. Great asset to the club and he leaves NP with options.

38 minutes ago, City oz said:

Andi is a six foot two attacking forward and a massive threat to any opposing team at championship level. Great asset to the club and he leaves NP with options.

6ft 2ins? He's 5ft 10ins. Good engine and gets about. But his defending isn't the best as he doesn't get tight enough.

3 hours ago, eardun said:

I see it as a combination of succession planning - Scott may go in the Summer as well - but more importantly for the here and now our game is reliant on intense pressing from the front and quick counter attacking - it’s going to be great having all these options from the bench to keep up the energy levels during games. 

This was actually one of my thoughts from my original post. I don't think Weimann is being phased out but I wonder if there is a thought that, if Scott goes, we might move to a midfield of two deep players and Weimann bursting through from being the front three. 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I clipped that bit yesterday and added it to TK’s actions.

There is definitely a good relationship between the two of them.

I think the Kalas question is not just about fitness or a wage cut but also whether Pearson sees him as part of his first choice defence. I'm not saying he doesn't - just that we don't know how NP sees things after Naismith joined and Vyner and Atkinson are doing well. Even with a wage cut, I think Kalas would cost a lot for someone not starting and, even with the best will in the world, I'd imagine someone of Kalas' experience and ability would get frustrated if he wasn't playing. 

I'd back whatever decision Pearson made either way on Kalas but I think there's a lot to weigh up. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Delighted, an excellent choice, someone who is clearly rated & respected by his team mates.

Bit odd that apparently “we don’t really need him”.

Looks like that is this season’s “he just runs around”. 

You can see why the narrative has developed though. Coincidence or not our upturn in form has come at the same time as his time out of the team, and we have just bought two additional fast forwards. Hopefully he proves everyone wrong and plays as well as he did last season, as club captain.