IGNORED

Sheff U v Wrexham

Super

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

Don't be fooled by the fact Wrexham are non league 

They're paying for players good enough for a top ten league one side 

Credit for their efforts over the two games but would rather Notts County come up without buying promotion 

Why? They are probably one of the most pointless  clubs around.

Edited by Super
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Don't be fooled by the fact Wrexham are non league 

They're paying for players good enough for a top ten league one side 

Credit for their efforts over the two games but would rather Notts County come up without buying promotion 

Hear hear. I cannot stand this incessant Wrectum love-in. I still dislike them from the old Division Two days, and I cannot believe the number of people who have been taken in by this “fairytale” nonsense. Just another rich men’s plaything.

Mullin missing that spot-kick was gold.

Grimsby and Fleetwood reaching the last 16 - now that’s real romance of the cup, not those insufferable media darlings.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Like we did in 2014/15 ?

I'm sorry , but that's a ridiculous statement.
If my memory is right, we either made a small profit or at worst spent very little. Remember we sold Baldock for £2.5m and for once Manager & recruitment was  working together and spot on.
Mainly free ( Little, Elliot , Wilbraham ) , yes we paid for Ayling , Freeman & Smith but I think Agard might have been the most expensive at around £800k. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm sorry , but that's a ridiculous statement.
If my memory is right, we either made a small profit or at worst spent very little. Remember we sold Baldock for £2.5m and for once Manager & recruitment was  working together and spot on.
Mainly free ( Little, Elliot , Wilbraham ) , yes we paid for Ayling , Freeman & Smith but I think Agard might have been the most expensive at around £800k. 

Small profit of £1.3m on player trading. At the time that was a considerable chunk of our total turnover of £7m. We may have been amongst the biggest spenders/paid high wages for that division, but we paid for it with money that we had. We lived within our means, but as a Championship club playing in League 1, our means were more than most others.

Wrexham are different in that they are a National League club paying League 1 wages (to some players), and their ability to do so is entirely down to their new owners and similar sponsorship and commercial deals to those seen at top clubs like Man City and Newcastle. For example getting Aviation gin (Reynolds own brand) to sponsor them, the Disney money, the ESPN money etc.

It's not just on the pitch either. Here is a clip showing the development of their gym.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Small profit of £1.3m on player trading. At the time that was a considerable chunk of our total turnover of £7m.

I thought it was less than that, for some reason has £200k in mind but trying to find details is difficult. 
Great business that summer though.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I thought it was less than that, for some reason has £200k in mind but trying to find details is difficult. 
Great business that summer though.

That figure is from the accounts for 2014/15 which are on Companies House. https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/03230871/filing-history

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Thoughts on Sharp's comments and behaviour after the Blades put out Wrexham? I'm erring towards the "tool" end of the spectrum for a description 

Towards the bell-end of tool-end!!!

I didn’t get the bit “I’ve got a smile on my face” bit, when he he hadn’t smiled all interview. ???

• Like 3

I turned off the the end of the game to avoid the post match drivel. It’s a pity he didn’t  let his boots do the talking,  because at 37 he was as impressive as ever.

Was it because of Wrexham’s ownership, buying success etc?

Edited by Leveller

1 minute ago, Taz said:

No idea what he said, but he's usually being a complete knob so why change the habit of a lifetime.

Said something about them being "disrespectful" (ironic I know) and "talking about Spurs already, as if they were just going to roll us over"

I doubt any of their players had that attitude, but it suits him to play that card.

• Like 1

Yeah Sharp has always been an insufferable *****. I followed a bit of the build up and Wrexham didn’t look past Sheffield United or assume they were playing Tottenham - there was a bit of social media stuff from Ryan Reynolds and Rob Mclhenny hyping up the game (even calling Sheff Utd giants) but it was on the right side of respectful and banter, nothing you’d call out of line.

It ultimately says more about Sharp than it does about Wrexham. The fact he’s triggered by nothing and players 3 levels down probably gives the measure of the bloke.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, !james said:

Well I like the Wrexham story, give me owners like that over Saudi/Oil death owners anyday. 

Yeah I’d go with that. I genuinely think that they went and got the club initially purely on the basis of making the programme - ultimately buying a non league club is cheap reality TV. But I also think you can now see the passion of the two owners come through - they’ve been bitten by it, and by all accounts are doing great things for the town. Compare and contrast with Wally for example.

The programme is also very good, probably the best of the genre. There is one particularly affecting episode around stillbirth which happened to one of the midfielders children. It’s not purely a “Rob and Ryan” show.

Subtotal - I think they weren’t overall in it for the right reasons but they are now, and it’s making a real difference to the community.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

As someone who lives fairly locally and has seen how the owners have engaged with the community and galvanised the fanbase and the town, I'm not going to knock what they're doing. They're good people and good luck to them (he says through slightly gritted teeth as an adpoted Cestrian).

However, this isn't some great fairytale where a plucky underdog is trying to suceed against all the odds and I really wish people would stop trying to pretend otherwise. Their budget not only dwarfs the league they're in, but the one above it and probably a fair chunk of the one above that. And the attempts to try and compare it with City in 2014-15 are frankly laughable.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The programme is also very good, probably the best of the genre. There is one particularly affecting episode around stillbirth which happened to one of the midfielders children. It’s not purely a “Rob and Ryan” show.

Subtotal - I think they weren’t overall in it for the right reasons but they are now, and it’s making a real difference to the community.

I think the balance of the show has been good. Shown how they have engaged with the community and adding some players stories. Obviously have the showbiz angle , but TBF it's that that brought in the Disney and TicToc link . Averaging higher attendance than some (certain) League 1 teams, so everything is there to go higher.
How high , how soon and will Reynolds & McElhenney lose interest just makes the program more interesting. 

13 minutes ago, Midred said:

If it hadn't been Wrexham, Sheffield United would have been the love-in so perhaps som3 jealousy? 

Not quite...the whole thing with the actors is tedious. A down and out football club has virtually become a celebrity reality TV show. Its great for the Wrexham fans and the twee broadcasters, but for everyone else it's nauseating (imo).

• Like 1

Apparently Phil Parkinson whispered in one of the Sheff Utd's player's ears after the game saying it took you two games to beat a Non league side. Which doesn't surprise me coming from Parkinson, he's always been a bit of a classless ****.

I would say that is why Sharp said what he said in his interview and I kind of like the honesty from him on live tv.

26 minutes ago, Midred said:

If it hadn't been Wrexham, Sheffield United would have been the love-in so perhaps som3 jealousy? 

Absolutely not. Wrexham are getting a needless "fairytale" love in at the moment. 

Nothing fairytale at all about having a bigger budget than most L1 clubs, some Champ clubs and then being hailed as massive underdogs when they play these clubs. 

The ironic thing is that over the years Wrexham fans have moaned about clubs spending beyond their means at that level, Salford, FGR, Stockport, even back to Crawley and Fleetwood etc, and now they are doing it on a far bigger scale. 

Fairytale is applicable to Chasetown when they reached the 3rd round in 07/08, Havant and Waterlooville who reached the 4th round the same year, Sutton who reached the 5th round in 16/17, Lincoln who reached the quarters the same year, and there's probably a few I've missed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seventeen said:

Absolutely not. Wrexham are getting a needless "fairytale" love in at the moment. 

Nothing fairytale at all about having a bigger budget than most L1 clubs, some Champ clubs and then being hailed as massive underdogs when they play these clubs. 

The ironic thing is that over the years Wrexham fans have moaned about clubs spending beyond their means at that level, Salford, FGR, Stockport, even back to Crawley and Fleetwood etc, and now they are doing it on a far bigger scale. 

Fairytale is applicable to Chasetown when they reached the 3rd round in 07/08, Havant and Waterlooville who reached the 4th round the same year, Sutton who reached the 5th round in 16/17, Lincoln who reached the quarters the same year, and there's probably a few I've missed.

Fairytale is Grimsby, a similar sized club to Wrexham with a lot less money and fame reaching Round 5 last night. Not much spoken about them though.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3