IGNORED

Another one gone

Vidal

Sacked Fotheringham, he had 4 months in charge, the previous boss Schofield only got 2 months.

That’s them, Cardiff & Wigan all on to their 3rd managers of the season.

Don’t any of these clubs question why they felt it was the right move to allow them to bring in loads of players in January, as Toure & Fotheringham definitely did, then sack them a week or so later?

Whether (like me) you were in the camp that wanted Pearson to stay or did not, this continuous chopping & changing never works.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Sacked Fotheringham, he had 4 months in charge, the previous boss Schofield only got 2 months.

Don’t any of these clubs question why they felt it was the right move to allow them to bring in loads of players in January, as Toure & Fotheringham definitely did, then sack them a week or so later?

no

Whether (like me) you were in the camp that wanted Pearson to stay or did not, this continuous chopping & changing never works.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

A quote from Simon Kuper, author of soccernomics- a book I read as part of my dissertation on this topic.

Screenshot_20230208_182319_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b2a313893003cef6967e50d89d8963e1.jpg

Sacking a manager is just an expensive way for a board to "look busy".

There's been a few studies that show the "new manager bounce" is largely a myth and when it does appear to happen it's generally not much to do with the manager.

It seems odd that managers are sacked after a few months. Do they not need time. A new manager needs time to bring in their tactics, style of play . And when new players are signed . Does that need time to gel. And esp. if you go into a club playing shit any way lots of work needs to be done. Now I know any relegation is costly. But surely do is getting one manager and then changing quickly . With no guarantee of improve in form . I really don't get it. Or does the modern CEO and board know sweet **** all about football.

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

There's been a few studies that show the "new manager bounce" is largely a myth and when it does appear to happen it's generally not much to do with the manager.

I don’t think anyone is too surprised that Corberan has improved West Brom as they were massively underperforming.  Carrick with Boro, not a huge surprise either, unless he came in and showed he had no clue.

10 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

If you continually sack managers I assume that the pay out to the outgoing managers is going to make FFP a lot harder for the club?

Lots of options available.  Pay up their contract (lump sum), which might not always be the total remaining term.  It’s possible to have for example a 3 year contract with a 1 year pay-off.  You can continue to pay them to avoid a lump sum needing to be paid out which would count against FFP.  No idea if there is a link, but when I read “relieved of his duties” I tend to think the club are still paying them but asking them not to bother coming to work!!  With Fotheringham, who knows whether he had a 6 month “probation” period or something like that?

Anything goes it seems!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

3 managers in a season spells relegation for me!

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Lots of options available.  Pay up their contract (lump sum), which might not always be the total remaining term.  It’s possible to have for example a 3 year contract with a 1 year pay-off.  You can continue to pay them to avoid a lump sum needing to be paid out which would count against FFP.  No idea if there is a link, but when I read “relieved of his duties” I tend to think the club are still paying them but asking them not to bother coming to work!!  With Fotheringham, who knows whether he had a 6 month “probation” period or something like that?

You can also waive, abrogate or change anything that the contract says. Enter a separate settlement agreement upon termination and you basically set whatever terms you might agree.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I don't think you understood the point if that's your response.

Sacking a manager isn’t necessarily just something a board do to ‘look busy’.  Sometimes it can have a revolutionary effect on a season.  If WBA and Boro boards hadn’t made the changes it is unlikely they’d have dramatically improved their form 

Edited by And Its Smith

21 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Personally I think if they’d kept Bruce they would have had a fair fewer points than they do now but it’s all about opinions 

They may well have fewer than they do now, I think you're probably right there - but statistically it's still likely their trajectory would have improved, that's all.

If your 20 goal per season striker doesn't score for 10 games, then starts scoring again is it down to him wearing new boots? Or just him regressing back to his normal form?

Same principle happens in medicine a lot. People get ill, start using some psuedoscience thing like homeopathy, and then assume that's what made them get better (when they're obviously going to shortly after getting ill in 99% of cases).

Managers have an actual effect on the outcome of course so those examples above are a bit silly, but it's the same principle at heart. If you do worse at something than usual/expected for a while, high chances are you'll go back to your usual performance before too long. Same thing happens the other way around too of course!

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

They may well have fewer than they do now, I think you're probably right there - but statistically it's still likely their trajectory would have improved, that's all.

If your 20 goal per season striker doesn't score for 10 games, then starts scoring again is it down to him wearing new boots? Or just him regressing back to his normal form?

Same principle happens in medicine a lot. People get ill, start using some psuedoscience thing like homeopathy, and then assume that's what made them get better (when they're obviously going to shortly after getting ill in 99% of cases).

Managers have an actual effect on the outcome of course so those examples above are a bit silly, but it's the same principle at heart. If you do worse at something than usual/expected for a while, high chances are you'll go back to your usual performance before too long. Same thing happens the other way around too of course!

Yeah I completely agree with all of that. Look at Weimann, has never had and probably won’t ever have a season like last season.  I agree with the principle, just don’t think it’s a correct in all circumstances. 

12 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

11 minutes ago, James54De said:

How on earth do they conclude that?

Pretty much as above.